Coral Breeze Review 6/15/05

DRA

This is a portion of my cruise review on the Norwegian board. We sailed on the NCL Sea on 6/11/05.

Belize - I had booked the Shark Ray Alley tour with Coral Breezes. We got to the tourism village a little early and noticed there was a pirate museum across the street. Since my daughter LOVES pirates we had to go. It was free and just a couple of rooms. We then walked around the tourism village a purchased a couple of t-shirts. By this time it was ready to meet for the tour. We met Mario and Heini from Coral Breezes. I was a little disappointed the boat only had a small canopy. The website said it would be covered. I was told that since this was a small group, they were taking a smaller boat. We hopped in and took off for Caye Caulker. My daughter loved the ride to the caye. We then went out to the Coral Gardens. Since my daughter was only an observer on this tour, I stayed back with her and swam beside the boat while my wife went through the reef. We then went to see the sharks and rays. I could not get my daughter in the water, so my wife and I both went in. My daughter stayed on the boat and watched, quite content. We were there about 30 minutes and the rays and sharks were everywhere. We got lots of pictures. We then went to Caye Caulker for lunch. We did not eat at the place listed on the website, no reason was given. I had the Belizean chicken (great) and my wife had the fish and chips (not so great). We then rented a golf cart and went around the island. What a great little island. So much different than Roatan. We actually thought we would like to return and stay longer. We then returned to the boat to travel back to Belize City to catch the tender. I disappointed that more people on this tour did not tip. I think only one other person tipped. One word of advice on the tenders - The Kid’s Crew staff work at the tender stations on the ship. Since my daughter was in the Kid’s Crew, we were able to get on one of the first tenders. This was our best day of the cruise.

Cruzn Buckeye-

Just got back today from our week adventure on the Carnival Elation out of Galveston. We had a blast! We did the snorkel trip with Coral Breezes this past Wednesday and had a great time. To answer your specific questions, it took about 35 minutes to get out to Caye Caulker. You will snorkel in two locations. The first is the coral gardens/reef area. You will be given a life vest and asked to swim in two by two's while following the guide. This is to help keep you floating so as not to damage the coral. We saw huge brain coral and all kinds of fish in many colors. You are in any where from 10' to 20' of water. The second location is where the sharks and sting rays are. Be sure to sit at the back of the boat so you are the first off. The sharks don't hang around too long because they are timid. The sting rays on the other hand will swim right up by you and at times brush up against your legs. We were able to stand in about waist/chest deep water (4')

You will be able to swim off the beach at Caye Caulker. This is a very small island where everyone gets around in golf carts. The joke is if you move to fast you will get a ticket. We really loved the charm of this island and enjoyed our time snorkeling with Coral Breezes.

I spoke to some people regarding their booking the snorkel trip with Carnival and they were extremely disappointed.

Hope this helps. When are you scheduled to leave?

The beach area at Caye Caulker is minimal. We only had an hour after lunch so we rented a golf cart. The little beach at the northern edge of the island seemed to be the most popular. Also, when we swam with the sharks they stayed for 30-40 minutes. This could have been becuse new boats kept arriving and they think they are going to get fed. I was told that in the old days the fisherman used to clean their fish in this area and throw the scraps overboard, attracting the sharks. The fisherman are no longer able to fish in the national park, but the sharks still come around. The water depth where we swam with the sharks/rays was about 5-6 ft deep. You could stand in this area.

Thanks everybody. I have to say if it is 6 feet deep, I might be standing but the water will be over my 5'3 head!!!!!

I had read that the only place to swim at Caye Caulker was off the dock and I am not really into jumping off the dock.

I appreciate all the info!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I am a bit confused here. We are booked with RCCL, Legend. Was the Shark Ray Alley/Coral Breeze a tour through whatever cruise you were on or is it an independent tour? I am reading so many good things about it but cannot find a specific website. Helpppppppppp lol :confused:

We have just returned from our cruise. We were on the Valor. We did the coralbreezelimited.com tour. It was very good. they met us at the tender area. It is a 20 min. tender ride. All of the ship tours get off first. that is not a problem. We were there in plenty of time. Some of the ship tours had 100-400 per tour on them. That is way too many for me. Henny was tour guide and Leslie and Patrick had their father's boat and we used them as our charter. It is about 30 min. to Caye Caulker to drop off lunch orders and then onto snorkeling. We went to the coral gardens near a reef. My mother didn't snorkel and Patrick and Leslie stayed in the boat with her and they put up the awning so she could get out of the sun. There were 4 total on this tour. We then went to shark alley. I got in the water. It was weird, not too scarry swimming with the sharks. It is shallow you can stand, and you didn't need fins. the current was a little strong there. We then went back to the island for lunch. Lunch was good. Patick and Leslie wandered off, we really wanted to get back to the tender area a little early. We wanted to shop a little and get back to the ship. we still had over an hour when we got back. We were all tired. We really had a good time. they are very aware of ship time and island time and they work real hard to get you back with plenty of time to spare before the last tenders.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

How much did this tour with coral breezes cost and how long was it? It looks fun! How did it compare to the one offered throught the cruise line? I will be on the Carnival Miracle next week and in Belize on Thurs 7/28.

Our tour was about $115. My mother didn't snorkel. I paid in full before we left. We just tipped in cash after the tour.

I think the golf carts were about $10. four would fit in one. We were ready to leave and go back to the terminal so we didn't get on.

check the web site coralbreezelimited.com

The tour was about 5 hours. I am going to have my underwater cameras film developed this weekend and I should have some pixs by the middle of next week. If you send me your email address I will send some to you. I have my digital film downloaded, but I used the water cameras on my boat trips.

Archived