Hotels in San Diego near the pier??

We are sailing on the mercury in April and are flying down 1 day early and spending the night in San Diego. I was just wondering what hotels anyone has stayed at in the San Diego area that are near the pier. I wanted to stay at the Hampton Inn, but they are fully booked already bc of a convention. So I want to book a hotel sooner then later in case everything is booked up! Any advice is appricated!

Kim,

Stay at the Holiday Inn. It is directly across from the pier. We walked our luggage across the street to check in, literally. And you know me... I don't carry my luggage if I don't have to! :)

The Holiday Inn has a pool and a restaurant and the bar area serves sandwiches at an outdoor dining area. There is a nice seafood restaurant... Anthony's I think is it's name right across the street too.

Thanks Susan. That is where Pat & Eileen are staying, but they got a gov't rate. Cheapist I can find is $179. Is it worth that much? I didn't think that much of the Holiday Inn at the Port of Miami, but again it was right accross from the pier & Bayside market place.

When do Pat & Eileen arrive vs. when do you arrive? Can they book a gvt rate for you? I just booked a Hampton Inn with my gvt rate, and they let me book up to 2 rooms using my discount. Not sure if Holiday Inn will do the same.

There is a pre-pay and a AAA rate of $145 per night on the Holiday Inn site right now. Don't get me wrong, this is not a 4star hotel. But it was sooo cool to get up in the morning and watch our ship dock. We had a King upper floor port view room. It was basic, but clean and convenient to everything. You also won't need any transportation cost. You can walk to dinner and the port and I even think they have a free shuttle from the airport, but don't quote me on that one. The bellhop rolled our bags across the street on one of their carts, but he said they can't always do that.

Yep, just went to their site and they have free hotel/airport shuttle service.

FYI, you want the Holiday Inn-On the Bay, not Holiday Inn-Bayside.

Just as a caution, there are several Holiday Inns. The one you want is the Holiday Inn on the Bay. They do offer an Entertainment Card rate, which may or may not be available for the date you need (I was lucky :D). I think they also offer ARP, and a couple of other discounts for people who qualify for them.

I was cautioned by several people to pay the extra $$$ and book a room with a Bay View rather than a City View at this particular hotel. Seems that the rooms with a City View also have a view of the train tracks. It's so noisy they actually supply foam earplugs as an ammenity in the bathroom, along with the usual shampoo, conditioner, etc. :eek:

Thanks Sherry. I did book the Holiday Inn on the Bay and did spend the extra $$$ on the Bayview room. How were the rooms? Size, clean, smell? I have read mixed reviews.

Sorry, I should have been more clear...I haven't stayed here yet either. :) We booked 2 nights for next May before our Hawaii cruise on the Radiance. So, what I know is all hearsay from other CruiseCritic members. A couple of people on our Hawaii Meet & Mingle board have stayed here before and seem to like it though. I heard that it's so close, you can actually wheel your luggage across the street to the cruise terminal if you don't want to bother with the shuttle.

Ahh, Hawaii on the Radiance...my favorite class of ship and favorite cruise!!! We sailed on the legend to Hawaii and Radiance to Southern Caribbean! You will love hawaii. I did an extensive review on the boards review page regarding our trip. I did a lot of research for it so fee free to ask me any questions!!

PS - make sure you eat at chops! It is the best! Well worth the $20.

Archived