New menus.....sorry to say, we were dissapointed.

As I stated, this is my OPINION! How bloody rude of YOU to imply that I shouldn't express my opinion, and to use that term, bloody, especially!

I, and clearly many others in this thread find that an offensive stereotype, and hate people who try to reinforce this, especially in a thread like this, where your statement had no reason to be here other than to offend others, which it has.

Just because you have an opinion about someones culture (which you are entitled to, I certainly have my opinions about yours!) doesn't mean you should go blurting it out unnecessarily. The statement was irrelevant, and therefore should not have been said.

That's exactly what got under my skin about the comment. It's so offensive to perpetuate those stereotypes. It's like saying all white American men are fat, lazy and exactly like Homer Simpson. :rolleyes:

The UK has come very far in presenting wonderful cuisine.

Many chefs are being trained to use local produce and develop layers of flavors in their foods.

Years ago I would agree that the food in the UK seemed "uninspired" but for the last few years we've found a great improvement in offerings and have found many chefs have embraced the idea of creating things in a different and more appealing way.

Since you are English, I can understand your opinion of the food. I have the opinion that the English know little about GOOD food. My time in London was marred only by the lack of decent food, and surly you know that the English are not known for good food.

I would like to know what ilionite considers good food. And why he or she believes the English are not known for good food?

The uk has a vast array of brilliant food. Regional diversity, superb seafood, as you would expect! Aberdeen Angus beef. Gloucester old spot pork, proper fish chips.....the list is endless.

Come back and give us another chance ilionite! You will receive a warm welcome from anyone who has not read your post!

It´s hard to say if you´d be happier on another ship as Food is such a subjective Topic.

The Food does vary from Chef to Chef even though it´s the same menu.

I had a lot of items on the old menus I liked and though I miss a few of those I think the new menus are an improvement.

As for escargot, I think you are quite wrong about how many People like those. I´m not one of them but I know quite a number of People who will eat them every night if available.

I love Escargot too! On our Allure cruise in January I ordered it the second night and it showed up with scallops instead of snails and I was told ( when asked) that they were out of snails. They served it with scallops the entire cruise.

I didn't mind the scallops but I did think our server should have told me they had made a substitution, what if I had an allergy to scallops??

Again I will say, the food on RCI MDR is not good, and by not good I mean not even edible with some salt and pepper. We did the dining plan at the specialty places on OASIS because the food was so bad. The windjammer buffet was better then the main dining room, as was the park cafe. There shouldnt be a scam to make the MDR food so bad, that you are basically left to go to the specialty and pay extra or starve.

Fine dining and England are mutually exclusive. Really not surprised that a brit would complain about the MDR, nothing matches up to the bangers & mash back home.

Tell that to Gordon Ramsey.

I'll be waaaaaaaaaaaay over here (out of knife and flying pan range) with the popcorn :D

Since you are English, I can understand your opinion of the food. I have the opinion that the English know little about GOOD food. My time in London was marred only by the lack of decent food, and surly you know that the English are not known for good food.

Some of the best Chef's in the WORLD are British. (Gordon Ramsey and Robert Irvine for example)

I don't think it is right to criticize an entire nationality because you didn't choose a good restaurant to eat at.

Seems to me that your biggest complaint lies in the execution of the items on the menu rather than the menu and that can easily be attributed to the abilities and talents of those who are preparing the meals and those supervising them. As far as certain items being "always available", there is no implication that someone wants to, or is going to, order them every night but simply indicates that certain items which are among the most requested items can be ordered on ANY evening and not just one. As to just how popular some such items may be -just see all of the complaints when escargot are replaced by small scallops because of the reported shortage of snails. Tastes vary and I suspect that as many miss the Indian foods that were previously the mainstay of the vegetarian menu, there are many who used to complain that the only vegetarian items were Indian foods which were not what they were looking for. Before blaming the new menu, I'd recommend giving a different group of cooks the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to serve you more satisfactory meals. No menu, new or old, is going to please everyone and how much you like your meal depends much more on the talents of those men and women preparing it than on the talents of those responsible for the written descriptions of the food.

You're right that taste varies. We were on one of the cruises where scallops were substituted for escargot. We thought it was a better choice and wished it were available all the time. My Grandson (18 at the time) was sorely disappointed. On the following cruise, when escargot was available, he commented that he wished they had it every night. We were disappointed the scallops weren't available...LOL.

Archived