Trains to Rome on a Saturday

Blackrat

We are are arriving at Civitavecchia on Saturday 22nd June and were intending to go to Rome by train and do our own thing.

I have just looked up the train times as part of my research and found the first train of the day is at 11.00am! Even more disturbing, the return times are either 13:29 or 17:10hrs with nothing inbetween. Just to rub salt into the wounds it look like you have to change on the outgoing train. This is all starting to fall into the too difficult box.

Can I ask the Rome experts here to check the timetable and confirm I am right please? It doesn't seem to be the most reliable website, sometimes it comes up with no trains at all (could be me of course)

If the train service is as bad as it looks on a Saturday are there other equally good solutions or am I doomed to pay P&O?

I would be grateful for any help :)

Cheers,

BR

Regional trains don't show up on the system this far in advance, further complicated by the twice annual schedule update that is currently underway. To see what the schedule will be (or a very, very close approximation of what it will be) look at the upcoming Saturday (in this case, May 18th).

Regional trains don't show up on the system this far in advance, further complicated by the twice annual schedule update that is currently underway. To see what the schedule will be (or a very, very close approximation of what it will be) look at the upcoming Saturday (in this case, May 18th).

Hi Euro Cruiser and thanks for the reply, just had a look and assuming a similar timetable and no strikes its back to plan A, phew.

With the BIRC ticket do you have to get it stamped at the machine for each different means of transport? ie train, bus, tram , metro?

Again thanks for your help.

Cheers,

BR

You validate the BIRG once, before boarding the train in Civitavecchia. If you use the metro in Rome you'll need the ticket to get through the turnstile, but otherwise you'll only need it if asked for it by a ticket checker. Put it away somewhere safe as you'll likely not need to pull it out all day.

You validate the BIRG once, before boarding the train in Civitavecchia. If you use the metro in Rome you'll need the ticket to get through the turnstile, but otherwise you'll only need it if asked for it by a ticket checker. Put it away somewhere safe as you'll likely not need to pull it out all day.

That's great great thanks very much for another quick reply.

We thought we would catch the train to S. Pietro walk past the Vatican (been before) and walk up to the tram station and catch that to the heart of the city and shops.

Cheers,

BR

I don't think you'll want the tram to get to the centro storico. From Piazza San Pietro (St. Peter's basilica) to the heart of historic Rome (and shopping), the easiest thing to do is either walk to Via di Porta Cavallegeri and take the #64 local bus, or walk a couple of blocks down Via della Conciliazione (toward Castel Sant'Angelo) to Piazza Pia and get the #40 express bus.

I don't think you'll want the tram to get to the centro storico. From Piazza San Pietro (St. Peter's basilica) to the heart of historic Rome (and shopping), the easiest thing to do is either walk to Via di Porta Cavallegeri and take the #64 local bus, or walk a couple of blocks down Via della Conciliazione (toward Castel Sant'Angelo) to Piazza Pia and get the #40 express bus.

Hi, thanks for the route. I wasn't after the most direct route necessarily, just perhaps a circular route through the town, we intend to walk mostly but it depends on the weather. I may well use the bus route there or back depending on how things go. Is there a shopping centre in Rome? Perhaps the equivalent of Oxford Street in London? We have done all the big tourist bits in Rome a long time ago, so this trip is more about the smaller details and seeing normal life there.

Cheers,

BR

The designer stores are clustered around Via Condotti, Via Carrozze, Via Borgognota, and the side streets that connect them.

There are also lots of fun shops along the pedestrian pathway between Piazza Navona and Via del Corso.

Take a look at the #40 bus from Piazza Pia to Chiesa Nuova (three stops), then walk along Via del Governo Vecchio to Piazza Navona, followed by the pedestrian path toward the Pantheon and on to Via del Corso. Then up Via del Corso to the Borgognota/Condotti/Carrozze area (about five blocks north).

The designer stores are clustered around Via Condotti, Via Carrozze, Via Borgognota, and the side streets that connect them.

There are also lots of fun shops along the pedestrian pathway between Piazza Navona and Via del Corso.

Take a look at the #40 bus from Piazza Pia to Chiesa Nuova (three stops), then walk along Via del Governo Vecchio to Piazza Navona, followed by the pedestrian path toward the Pantheon and on to Via del Corso. Then up Via del Corso to the Borgognota/Condotti/Carrozze area (about five blocks north).

Fantastic,

Thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to a great Rome trip

Cheers,

BR

We were just in rome on a Saturday. We used the train, caught a 0930 departure but there were trains earlier. Just a note that it is a really long walk through the port depending on where your ship is at. There is a shuttle but it wasnt there so we just walked, It took about 1/2hr. Also on returning make sure you give yourself enough time. The trains can be a bit slow and the Station Termini is really big and confusing. We made our 9PM departure with 20 min to spare, and one unlucky couple actually missed the departure. Loved every minute of Rome and every port!:)

We were just in rome on a Saturday. We used the train, caught a 0930 departure but there were trains earlier. Just a note that it is a really long walk through the port depending on where your ship is at. There is a shuttle but it wasnt there so we just walked, It took about 1/2hr. Also on returning make sure you give yourself enough time. The trains can be a bit slow and the Station Termini is really big and confusing. We made our 9PM departure with 20 min to spare, and one unlucky couple actually missed the departure. Loved every minute of Rome and every port!:)

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the tips. We plan to use St. Pietro station in and out and leave loads of time even at the risk of missing out doing stuff (we have been before). We will compensate by going as early as we can.

If the shuttles aren't there is it easy to find your way through the port to the town?

Cheers,

BR

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the tips. We plan to use St. Pietro station in and out and leave loads of time even at the risk of missing out doing stuff (we have been before). We will compensate by going as early as we can.

If the shuttles aren't there is it easy to find your way through the port to the town?

Cheers,

BR

Only one way to head in the port, so that was easy, but the farthest part of the walk. Turn right when you exit the port and the train is about 2 blocks. Have fun !!

Archived