Need Hawaii Information? Maybe I can help

Hawaiian Eye

I live in Hawaii, the Windward Side of Oahu and may (or may not) be able to answer some questions you may have. I've lived here 18 years and have been to the other Islands many times. I haven't stayed in all the hotels or B & Bs yet. I've also never done any of the cruises around Hawaii (yet). Just flown into a Neighbor Island and rented a car.

I don't live on these Boards, so it may take a bit for me to get back with you but I'll try to help if I'm able. Aloha. :cool:

I have a few questions, if you don't mind. I would love to visit Haunama Bay. My spelling is bad but it is on Oahu and is very popular with touists for snorkeling. From what I understand busses and cabs are not allowed to drop people off there. Besides renting a car do you know of any tours that take people there for a few hours of snorkeling? If not, which rental car agency would be most convenient for the cruise ship pier?

Next question. I had a neat little book with Hawaiian translations (Bob=Lapaka) for names and I can't find it! I always took it when we visited the island and must have left it somewhere. Any suggestions for good authentic translation books?

Mahalo in advance.

Actually, the city bus (The Bus) has a stop right in front of Hanauma Bay (though you have to walk down the lane to get to the visitor center itself). Taxi cabs can also drop off in the same location. Parking a car there can be difficult at times - the lot is small and if they get full, they will turn people away. Your best bet will be very early in the AM or later in the afternoon - I've gone around 3 pm or so and sailed in without problems.

None of the common Hawaiian/English dictionaries strike me as a standout compared to the others - it'll largely user dependent, I think.

Spleen

Linda - depends on their interests, I think. Which island in question are we talking about? On Oahu, Pearl Harbor is pretty low impact and if they have any interest in history, is very fascinating and can be very moving as well. Iolani Palace is the only royal palace on American soil ... it's also worthwhile seeing.

If they don't care for the beach or ocean activities, might be hard to find a whole bunch of activities to do in Hawaii ... :( I think I would take the approach of figuring out whether your group wants to do all activities together, some activities together, or operate independently and get back together for dinner on the ship. That will help narrow down things. If they choose to do things on their own, they may want to consider restricting things to ship tours if they do not feel comfortable driving themselves or dealing with independent tour agents. Most cruise tours are designed to be low impact (the brochures should mention this specifically)

Spleen

I concur with Spleen.

For folks with limited mobility, one can have a good time by doing a circle-island tour. Take the car/van into Diamond Head Crater, drive slow and tell the ticket counter person you want to turn around. Go down Kohala Avenue and get onto Kalanianaole Highway and head toward The Blowhole and Sandy Beach, you can pull over, see the sites, take pictures and one can stay in the car/van if they choose. Continue toward Waimanalo and see that beach park. Same thing at Kailua Beach Park. Then drive to Kaneohe and head toward the North Shore. There's plenty of places to pull over for those Kodak Moments. Laie Point is a spot that's not in a lot of tour books and it's a favorite of mine. At Haleiwa you can get onto the road to H-2 and head back thru the middle of the island thru the pineapple fields. If you're still not worn out get onto H-1 west and head toward Spleen's house. Enjoy a nice sunset at Makaha. Or just turn left at the H-2/ H-1 junction and head back toward Waikiki.

What ever you choose, you must get out of Waikiki to see a better picture of Hawaii. :cool:

The Tantalus drive up to Round Top is nice. I like to go there with a picnic lunch. Upper Makiki Valley.

My favorite is to go by Honey Glazed Hams for a ham and cheese sandwich, and some ono portuguese bean soup and take it to Magic Island at Ala Moana Beach Park for a picnic. :cool:

We are planning a circle drive and have a couple of questions....

>>Take the car/van into Diamond Head Crater, drive slow and tell the ticket counter person you want to turn around.<< posted by Hawaiian Eye

I didn't know you could drive into the crater! Do you need a 4WD vehicle? This may be a dumb question, but why do you have to tell the ticket person you want to turn around?

Also I've heard that the parking at Hanauma Bay fills up early. If you are not going to snorkel, can you get in just to take a picture of the bay? or is there a spot on the road that you can pull over to see it without going into the parking area?

Also is there a spot to pull over to see Lanikai beach?

Kathy

The Diamond Head crater is where the hike to the rim of Diamond Head starts. It's a park inside and I believe you have to pay now - which is why Hawaiian Eye was saying that you tell them that you just want to turn around if you're just driving through the parking lot. It's a standard paved parking lot so no, no 4-wheel drive needed.

Re: Hanauma Bay - since the parking is limited, they'll turn you away at the top of the parking lot if it's full. Don't know if they'll let you in if you explain that you don't want to stay and just want to take a picture. Suspect that it'll be up to the niceness of the people manning that area. You need to go down to the parking lot to get a view of Hanauma - it's otherwise not viewable from the main road.

And Lanikai is really out of the way in Kailua hidden behind houses. You need to park and walk through the houses to see it (so there's really no place to see it from the road). Parking here is a problem as well (since it's streetside parking).

Spleen

To see Lanikai, you really need to park the car and walk a little bit, simple or tougher.

Simple..........drive into Lanikai, turn left at the playground area and look for a place to park on the side street. Then just walk 1/2 block to the beach. No rest rooms, no concessions. Go shishi at the boatramp before you drive into Lanikai proper. Take a cooler with beverages.

Tougher....... drive into Lanikai, turn right at the first right turn, Kaelepulu Drive. Drive past the entrance to Mid Pac Country Club and look for a place to park. On the left side, up the cul de sac is a fence on the right hand side. Follow the fence. (You better have athletic shoes on, no sandles) You go thru some brush and then pop out along a ridge of the hill side. Follow the trail up the ridge to the bunkers. It's a spectacular view looking right down over Lanikai, as well as Kailua Town and Kailua Bay. A good Kodak Moment most tourists never see. :cool:

I't not for those afraid of heights. But it's worth the effort for those that do it. You can see the Pillboxes as you drive into Lanikai. I've seen people jogging up it as well as mountain bikes way up there. Late alternoon hangliders jump off the Pillboxes and hover around Alala Point for awhile. :cool:

My family will be on Oahu at the Ko Olina Resort and want to ride wave runners on Waikiki or other parts of Oahu. Are there areas that permit wave runners anywhere on Oahu?

It's available, I believe, out of Hawaii Kai. Check with the concierge at Ko Olina. They could tell ya. There could be someplace available much closer. Honestly, the wave runner venders cut back on that a bit after some tourist got run over and drowned a few years back. Say 'Hi" to Spleen while you're out that way ! :cool:

There used to be two areas where there were jet ski rentals available. The first was out at Hawaii Kai and the other used to be out of Haleiwa on the North Shore. Neither location is close to Ko Olina, unfortunately. But as Hawaiian Eye says (is that from the TV series or from the song?), check with the concierge - they'd be able to give you the scoop on where they might be available.

Spleen

But as Hawaiian Eye says (is that from the TV series or from the song?), check with the concierge - they'd be able to give you the scoop on where they might be available.

Spleen

I spent about 30 seconds thinking of a handle. I wanted something with Hawaii in it, and the old Connie Stevens detective show popped up in my brain. Not too original, yeah ? :cool:

This might be a stupid question, but one I have to ask:eek: (and it probobly won't be the last stupid questions I ask)!

I know the parking area near the Pali lookout can be easily accessed if your heading from the Leeward to the Windward side of Oahu on the Pali Hwy, but can you access the parking area and lookout if your coming from the Windward side? If you can, is there a spot that I could turn around and head back down toward Kailua after enjoying the view from the Pali lookout?

If your heading from Kailua, towards Honolulu, go thru the tunnels and about a half mile past is an exit to the Pali Lookout. It will seem like you missed it 'cause it's so far past the tunnels, but it's there.

One you're in the parking lot you can take either exit to go to Kailua, or into Honolulu. :cool:

My mom, dad, 16yr old sis and myself will be vacationing together. We are looking into Honolulu. What do you think is the best Island to visit? My mom and dad are going to want to do historical stuff, while sis and I will want to be beach side. We want to take surfing lessons. Is there an off-peak season? We love to trave off-peak for discounts. Thanks in advance for any help.

All the Islands are a bit different, unique in their own way. Oahu has a ton more concrete and people but there's a lot to do here and see. Waikiki is a great place to take some surfing lessons. Plenty of historical stuff here, too. Off seasons are fall and spring. The winter is most expensive due to the humpback whales that migrate here from Alaska from Nov. till April, And the big waves on the North Shore. It's also a nice time to get away from the wintry Mainland.

I've been to all the major islands many times and love them all for different reasons.

I live on the Windward side of Oahu. I'm about 20 minutes from Honolulu but a world away from the hectic rush of the big city. I like hearing the sound of the ocean on a quiet evening.

I would suggest going to a bookstore, or Amazon.com and getting a tour book and start studying it now.

Oahu, Big Island, Maui, Lanai, Molokai, Lanai. All nice. :cool:

Archived