Carnival Splendor or Norwegian Gem with 1 year old?

pen9uin

Hello all,

I posted earlier on the general questions board but think I will have a better response here:

My husband and I are considering a cruise in September with our son who will be 14 months at the time. We have narrowed it down to either the Splendor 8 day to Eastern Caribbean or the Gem 7 day Florida and Bahamas, both out of NY.

Which ship is better for a 1 year old? What are the kids programs like on both? I understand the Gem has programs for 1 year olds with parental supervision, what about the Splendor?

Also, any general advice for traveling with a baby? One question I have in particular is how would he go in taxis? Do we bring his car seat? This will be our first major trip with him so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Do they have any sort of activities geared at 1 year olds, or is it just 2 and up? Do you have any information regarding the baby sitting service? Would I be able to drop him off asleep in his stroller or is it just for 2+?

DD was 20 months old the last time we were aboard the Gem. (have never been aboard the Splendor before, sorry we can't help u there).

The open play time was great as we were the only ones there and they had various playmats, fisherprice-type active toys, etc.

We enjoyed Bermuda as we were free to go on & off the ship throughout the day for her naps and such. We did get the transportation pass for the several days we were docked there. Their public transportation system (ferries & busses) were easy to navigate & she definitely enjoyed the zoo/aquarium.

Best of luck & happy planning

Thanks for the info. Do they have any sort of activities geared at 1 year olds, or is it just 2 and up? Do you have any information regarding the baby sitting service? Would I be able to drop him off asleep in his stroller or is it just for 2+?

The programs are for 2 and up. They MAY have some thing on port days and perhaps at night. I am not sure. Sorry. I am sure someone else will post. We went during the family time and had the whole place to ourselves pretty much. He played with all of the toys for his age group and interest. He had a ball. We went for maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the mornings. Then he had a bite to eat and napped like a champ ( at this point he almost never napped at home for more than 20 minutes but the motion of the ocean helped and he would nap for an hour or two). We did also bring a walker toy as he could not yet walk. The long hallways were great for this as we're the empty clubs and lounges.

We did Norwegian out of NYC when my daughter was 10 months and Carnival out of Baltimore when my son was 18 months. Both were similar. Carnival had a couple hours in the morning a couple days of the week to bring your kid to play. Norwegian had a whole playroom that my daughter was able to play in whenever (this was on Jewel, not sure if they're all the same). I dont remember Norwegian babysitting but Carnival does have babysitting for under 2s after 10pm i believe.

If it were me, i'd go with the Carnival one, hands down, for the itinerary. We have done both from the east coast (one from NYC, one from baltimore), the eastern carribean was BY FAR, 500% better itinerary than the Florida/Bahamas. The Eastern Carribean had 2 beach days (not sure if yours is the same but im guessing it is), Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk that you are right on the beach when you get off so there is no taxi or transportation to worry about or walking around like there was in Port Canaveral and Nassau. Half Moon Cay also had a kids area on the beach that my 2 and 3 year old both loved. I LOVED the Eastern Carribean one and am looking to do one out of NYC on splendor next :)

Archived