Liberty Eastern or Western Itinerary for family??

momtoty2001

We are looking to book a cruise for fall break and are having a hard time deciding between Liberty Eastern or Western Itinerary.

This will be our 2nd cruise and we will be bringing our 11 year old son and 10 year old daughter.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the different itineraries..

Eastern:

Half Moon Cay 9am-5pm Only ship in port

Sea Day

St. Thomas 10am-6pm Only ship in port

San Juan 7-3:30pm Only ship in port

Grand Turk 11am-5:30pm Liberty and Splendor

Sea Day

* We have been to Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk and LOVED both ports. We are not really sure what to do in San Juan as our kids aren't really into forts but more into beach days..

Western Itinerary:

Sea Day

Cozumel 8am-6pm only ship

Belize 9am-6pm only Ship

Honduras 8am-3pm only Ship

Grand Cayman 10a-6pm Liberty and Magic

Sea Day

* We are struggling what to do in Belize as it seems that unless we want to go cave tubing or ziplining there isn't a lot of beach places to go?

Both Itineraries are very similar in price and we are planning to go end of Sept/beginning of Oct. so weather will play a part in decisions as well.

Thank you so much!

We did the Western on Liberty back in November and LOVED it ! We are a younger couple do not have kids yet, but I think kids would love it.

Cozumel we went swimming with dolphins and manatees they even had a seal show the place had a nice beach even with scuba rental.

Belize we went to Xuntaunich (sp) they were mayan ruins and was very entertaining it was 2 hour bus ride, but you got to experience Belize and learn a lot. It was pretty neat.

Roatan we just stayed by the boat Carnival has their own port and beach and everything there. It was nice.

Cayman we went to Paradise beach. That is the beach they do all the corona commercials. It was gorgeous perfect beach for the family.

I loved the Western side and would do it again in a heart beat ! I am sure which ever one you choose you will have a blast =) Carnival Liberty is a great ship !

We've done both itineraries on the Liberty (love that ship!). Last year, we did the Western itinerary, and this time we did the Eastern. I enjoyed them both, but I would pick Eastern first, then the Western second. You probably won't have enough time in San Juan to do a beach day. If you don't find an excursion through Carnival that interests your kids, maybe you could an independent excursion. As soon as walk out of the port entrance there in San Juan, there'll be a number of independent tour operators eager for your patronage. I believe it's ten dollars for a cab, and not sure about a van. You could take a short tour for a couple of hours, then come back to the ship for lunch and a dip in the pool (assuming it's warm enough to swim).

We did the Western on Liberty back in November and LOVED it ! We are a younger couple do not have kids yet, but I think kids would love it.

Cozumel we went swimming with dolphins and manatees they even had a seal show the place had a nice beach even with scuba rental.

Belize we went to Xuntaunich (sp) they were mayan ruins and was very entertaining it was 2 hour bus ride, but you got to experience Belize and learn a lot. It was pretty neat.

Roatan we just stayed by the boat Carnival has their own port and beach and everything there. It was nice.

Cayman we went to Paradise beach. That is the beach they do all the corona commercials. It was gorgeous perfect beach for the family.

I loved the Western side and would do it again in a heart beat ! I am sure which ever one you choose you will have a blast =) Carnival Liberty is a great ship !

We have been to most islands listed here.. with our kids, who are now 18, 14 and 8... but they have been on 9 cruises (the boys, and 7 for my little one).

They love Cozumel... in fact, for Paradise Beach. It is a great place to go for the day, including Beach Toys (Tramoplines, slides, a huge pool, canoes, etc). We have been there four times, and the kids always want to go back to Paradise Beach.

Belize - our one time, we went Cave Tubing. What an amazing day. the Boys were 16 and 12 at the time and loved it.... but my daughter loved it too, although she could not have her own tube, which upset her.

Grand Cayman - we went here when my boys were 4 and 8, and then again when they were 13 and 9. That year, my husband took my younger son to Stingray City and they had a blast. When they were younger, it was a beach day at Seven Mile beach.

Roatan - this was a highlight. The boys went Zip Lining with ClipNZip, which is right at the port. Then we rented a clamshell at Mohagany Bay right at the port. Terrific time.

We have been to Half Moon Cay, but without our kids. We are returning this Summer with our kids, and we are renting a Cabana. I am sure it will be a fun and relaxing day.

Grand Turk - Happy to hang out at the huge Pool at margaritiaville. The kids will do the FloRider if they would like.

St. Thomas - we took Sunny Liston's tour, which we all loved. Including Shopping stop, tour of the island and Mountainview lookout, then a two or three hour beach break. There was signing and tons of fun on the open air bus tour. The kids really loved it.

San Juan - our few times with the kids we just walked around then went to Senor Frogs. But this past year, without the kids, we took the Free Shuttle to El Morro Fort and explored there. If we return to San Juan with the kids, we will bring them right back to this amazing ancient Fort. It was breathtaking.

Hope that helps!

I do not think you can do wrong here.. both sides have different things to offer!

Good Luck!

Catrin

We are looking to book a cruise for fall break and are having a hard time deciding between Liberty Eastern or Western Itinerary.

This will be our 2nd cruise and we will be bringing our 11 year old son and 10 year old daughter.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the different itineraries..

Eastern:

Half Moon Cay 9am-5pm Only ship in port

Sea Day

St. Thomas 10am-6pm Only ship in port

San Juan 7-3:30pm Only ship in port

Grand Turk 11am-5:30pm Liberty and Splendor

Sea Day

* We have been to Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk and LOVED both ports. We are not really sure what to do in San Juan as our kids aren't really into forts but more into beach days..

Western Itinerary:

Sea Day

Cozumel 8am-6pm only ship

Belize 9am-6pm only Ship

Honduras 8am-3pm only Ship

Grand Cayman 10a-6pm Liberty and Magic

Sea Day

* We are struggling what to do in Belize as it seems that unless we want to go cave tubing or ziplining there isn't a lot of beach places to go?

Both Itineraries are very similar in price and we are planning to go end of Sept/beginning of Oct. so weather will play a part in decisions as well.

Thank you so much!

Western. Those are the more exotic ports and if you are an avid traveller you will probably enjoy what there is to offer in the countries visited. I have never done an "eastern" itinerary but have cruised to the Bahamas and spent a land-based vacation in Puerto Rico and I would say that whilst worth seeing, the Western places are highlights of the region.

Puerto Rico and St Thomas are the United States and the Bahamas is close enough that I didn't notice a huge cultural shift [esp. seeing that many Floridians go there regularly]. San Juan DOES in fact have some wonderful things to do but it surely warrants a land-based trip there...at least if only for a long weekend. People I know have raved about Turks & Caicos but I've not been there so can't comment.

As far as the western goes: Roatan, Honduras is one of the loveliest places in Central America/Caribbean that I have been to. The nature and geographic topography is beautiful there; the beaches are wonderful; and the local population is very friendly [i find that the Spanish-speaking regions of the Caribbean tend to be the most friendly but that is certainly just my opinion]. Belize was definitely the most "3rd world" by most American standards but I never felt unsafe and the Mayan sights were well preserved [even if less famous than those in Mexico]. Our dining room tablemates went ziplining in Belize and loved it. The cube tubing looks fabulous but we went the Mayan route instead. Cozumel is very developed and tourist-friendly with a lot of shops and places to eat [souvenirs outside of the port are definitely cheaper in case you are interested. There are many options of things to do in Cozumel. We missed Grand Cayman on our sailing and instead went to Costa Maya [Legend propulsion issues of March 2013! lol]. All the people I know who have been to GC loved it but said it was expensive; a cruise is probably the cheapest way to go there.

I hope you have a great trip, whichever you choose!

Archived