La Spezia - Cinque Terre

llarsen

Hello,

We will be arriving in La Spezia this mid-October on Oceania from 8am-6pm

Our plan was to hike some (not all) of the trails in Cinque Terre, but some have not been repaired since the mud slides a couple years ago.

Has anyone been there recently? I've read so many conflicting reports on which trails are open and which are not.

The SaveVernazza site has this information as of May 2013:

According to the latest information available from the Cinque Terre National Park, the coastal Trail #2 status as follows:

Riomaggiore – Manarola “via dell’amore”: Closed. Trail will reopen in 2014.

Manarola – Corniglia : Closed. Trail set to reopen June 15, 2013.

Corniglia -Vernazza: Closed. trail set to reopen June 15, 2013.

Vernazza – Monterosso: OPEN.

It looks like all but Riomaggiore - Manarola will be open when we arrive.

We will not have time to hike and see all the villages, so any advice on must-see is appreciated. We love small crooked and cobble stone streets, and would like to have lunch and some wine in one of the villages. (recommendations are welcome!)

I saw there is a section (not sure which of the trails) that has narrow steep stone steps with no railing and sheer drop off. I found a couple photos by googling Cinque Terre trail images.Here's the photo.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8870683/stock-photo-stone-steps-along-the-cinque-terre-hiking-trail.html

I do not want to hike this trail, so if anyone knows which trail this is I would appreciate the information. We do a lot of hiking, but one near fatal vacation experience in a lifetime is enough for me, and I already experienced it in Bequia :-(

I also would like to know if there is a certain direction to hike that is easier than the other and if there is any order in which to see Villages.

Our day is short and we need to be back in La Spezia no later than 5:30. So maybe just 1 or 2 trails?

Any advice for getting the most beautiful views of these villages is appreciated. (We are also photographers) I believe I read that arriving in Vernazza by ferry is breathtaking, but I could have the wrong village...not sure.

Thank you!

I was there 2 years ago, but spent 2 nights in Monterosso. The only trail we did was via del amore which was beautiful! We had 2 younger kids, so we didn't feel confident about hiking. I have read that monterosso to vernazza is supposed to be amazing views. We are going on a cruise stop this year and will probably hike that portion. We loved all the villages. They are all so unique. Don't just hike, explore the towns.

We did take the ferry from monterosso to Riomaggiore, so we were Able to see all the villages from the water. It was beautiful, but rocky. My son ending up puking on the boat.

We were there almost 2 years ago. We hiked all but Manarola – Corniglia and the entire hike was amazing. Each section of the hike was different but I'd say that the Vernazza – Monterosso section was the best. It was long and moderately difficult but the views were spectacular. Lots of up and down but the views made it worth every step.

The only section that will be open for hiking when we are there in 2 weeks is from Monterosso to Vernazza :(. We have heard that it isn't an easy hike, but would still like to try it. Is it possible to go partway and still see some of the beautiful vistas? I don't think we could do the whole two hours that the CT information says it will take. Especially if there is a lot of up and down as you say. Do you recall if the first part of the hike is not too strenuous and have any idea of how long we should go to see a decent amount of the scenery?

Thank you!

Has anyone come across the steps pictured in the link? I don't know which trail they are on, but I don't wish to encounter them.

Calvin81, can you please post something in the Italy forum when you return if you hike in Cinque Terre?

I read that most the trails are expected to open June 15, maybe you'll get lucky and they will be open when you are there.

Thanks!

I will try to remember to post llarsen. We are hoping a trail might open early as we are so close to June 15. The section we were most interested in, which was the easiest hike, from Riomaggiore to Manarola, won't open for another year :(. Now we are just hoping it warms up a bit -- it has been unseasonably cool the last few weeks.

just to give you our experience with visiting this area on our May 10 cruise on the Liberty of the Seas when we visited Cannes the day prior our tour guide recommended going by ferry to see the beauty of the area by sea as many of the trails were still closed. When we got off the shuttle bus that takes you through the pier area in La Spezia, there was a large tent set up with info on what to see, when I asked about the ferry they pointed to a blue and white striped building down the promenade by the water. The round trip cost 25 E pp the ferry left promptly at 11:15 and we returned at 4:45 our ship was in port until 6:00 so we had plenty of time to return, again on the bus shuttle through the port. We pulled up to Vernazzio and took many pictures but did not get off until Monterossa where we had 2 hrs to have lunch and do some shopping. On the way going and returning we changed ferries at Porto Venere which was a beautiful place with a large fortress. If we go back we would spend more time there. Look for the 5 Terre sign with the blue and white building on the waterfront the views from the water were fantastic!

the steps in question are not on the Vernazza ---Monterossa section which is open now---in my opinion it is easier from Vernazzi towards Monterossa----it is many steps up and many steps down---the middle is slight up and down----

one note of caution on the ferries---if the seas get rough they can be cancelled in a heartbeat---the train is quick and cheap----if the ferries are running I'd certainly do it one way as the views are wonderful

we visited earlier this month

Paul

I'm guessing those steps are in the Manarola – Corniglia section because I don't remember them and don't have any pictures of them, and that looks like a place where I would have taken a picture as we were hiking. I'd agree that it's easier to go from Vernazza to Monterossa...having done it in the opposite direction, but no regrets as the scenery is amazing. Going by the times from the pictures I took, I'd say you could definitely do a leisurely half hour hike then hike back into town and have it be well worth it.

Archived