How do Laptops work on board

West Coast Gal

Seems odd that someone who is "Elite" would be asking this question. Wouldn't you have had plenty of time to figure this out while sailing as Platinum? :rolleyes:

First of all, thanks for all the advice and information, I have learned a lot . . . secondly, I have never taken a laptop on a cruise and have always turned off the smart phone except in port, didn't want the distraction [or leash to the real world! ha] . . . the next cruise is getting booked when I am going to have to use my computer, so had to break down and find out how to do it and how well it will work.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griller

Some cabins on some ships don't have good wifi signal and so, going off at a slight tangent, can I recommend that anyone who wishes to improve their reception of weak wifi signal - either on board ship or on shore - buys an Alfa 1w USB wifi dongle. They are about $20 on Ebay if you do a buyitnow and significantly improve the capability of a laptop to pick up wifi. I routinely connect easily to free wifi Internet from over a mile away with one of these, very useful in ports. The best model at the moment which also gives you connectivity to 802.11n as well as the older b and g signals is the Alfa AWUS036NEH 802.11n WIRELESS-N USB adapter 1w Wi-FiThere is an even more powerful 2 watt model but its much bigger and bulkier and not small and light like the one I recommend. Laptops only have a pretty weak wifi capability built into them as standard. Without one of these, your laptop won't even see wifi that this adapter will connect to.

Hi, Griller,

Thanks for all your information. On your recommendation, I bought this from Amazon on line for my 13-inch MacBook Pro, which I always take with me.

At home in California, I go 2 blocks to my local Starbucks to connect as I have no connection at home. I also bought the extra antenna that is advertised on Amazon:

"Price for both: $30.88 ($3.89) - This item: Alfa AWUS036NEH 1000mW 1W 802.11g/n High Gain USB Wireless G / N Long-Range WiFi Network Adapter Dongle With Original Alfa 5dBi and 7dBi Panel Antenna by Alfa $26.99."

I am disappointed that I have not been able to use it. It comes with an Installation CD and I cannot even make that play in this confuser.

Do you have any advice for me? Thanks for your help.

Donna

Archived