2006 military tattoo

CarolC

We are trying to decide between the July 11 or Aug 10 2006 Golden cruise. A key factor is whether the military tattoo will be a shore excursion. There was some reference in a previous thread to it being discontinued. Does anyone know if it will continue? Since the ship stays in Glasgow til 2a.m., I am hoping that it is for that purpose.

Also, for anyone who has done this tour with Princess, how were the tickets? Could you actually see what was going on? Has anyone purchased your own tickets and transportation?

Thanks so much for all the good info on this forum. This will be our first cruise on such a large ship, and I'm trying to imagine 2600 people trying to leave the ship at each port!

I don't know the answer to your question on official ship excursions. I have been to the tattoo many times over the years. Do you know what day of the week you'll be in Scotland? Because there are one or two early shows of the Tattoo each week, which might work. I don't recall ever getting out of the later evening event before 11 something or midnight, so that definately won't work. Enjoy your cruise and the Tattoo.

Hi

I actually live midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I'm afraid you would find it too tight timewise to get back to Greenock (Glasgow's port) after a late Tatoo. I'm not sure about earlier shows mentioned in a previous thread, but if you log on to the visitscotland website, you should get more info....hope you enjoy your visit.

Alan

We were on the Royal Princess last August and went to the Military Tatoo as a shore excusion. Our seats were very good and the show was well worth the cold and the tight seating ( at least the body heat helped to keep us warm!!!)The ship was docked at Rosyth until 2 AM and waited until all of us were safely back on board before leaving. i'm sure it is too early to know if the shore excurison is available, but I would guess that if they are not leaving until 2AM that is the reason. If so by all means go. It is a once in a lifetime exoerience. The British Isles cruise that were were on was the only cruise of the Royal on which this excusion was offered last summer as the Tatoo is only in August. Check the website for the military tatoo for more info and dates. Hope this helps.

Happy Cruising!!!! MissAnn

We are doing the excursion to the Tatoo this year from Greenock. I don't know if it is an early or late show. The schedule has us leaving at 5:30PM and returning at 1:30AM. I wouldn't try this one without being on a ship's excursion.

I had never heard of the Military Tattoo - friends told me about it. Four years ago the Tattoo was not available thru Princess as their ships left Port early in the eve. HAL and Crystal did offer the Tattoo (from the Port of Rosyth)

I called and wrote to the "higher-ups" at Princess requesting a "Tattoo excursion" - I eventually receivd a positive answer.

It took another summer season, until Princess started to offer an excursion to the Tattoo. I like to believe it was partly due to my intervention and insistance

This year we are on the Aug. 10 Golden cruise and will finally get to see the Tattoo. Yes - there is an early show on some days - don't remember which ?? I would have much preferred the earlier performance but we will be seeing the "usual" eve. show and will arrive back to the ship very late. :eek: We are looking forward to seeing the Tattoo - it was one of the reasons for choosing the cruise.

I don't understand Princess' logic offerring the Tattoo from the Port of Greenock when we are also stopping at So. Queensferry - so much closer to Edinburgh :confused: (maybe the ships docking fees are a big difference??)

Good Luck and Happy sailing :D GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Do they actually dock at Greenock for Glasgow or do they anchor in the Clyde and tender you ashore?

The evening performance of the Edinburgh Tattoo is much more spectacular with the lights on the Castle, the most moving part of the evening when the piper plays a lament from the ramparts.

Enjoy the culture and friendliness that is Bonnie Scotland, whether ye be in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Hopefully a shore excursion tae Edinburgjh wid be frae somewhere on the Forth. As you say it's much closer than travelling across Scotland (albeit nae place in Scotland is mair than 75 miles frae the sea.

Ciao for now!!!

I thought it odd they were running the excursion from Greenock, maybe they don't have to pay to port so much to stay until 2am?

I hope this is excursion is offered in 2006 - I would never try this on my own, it is much safer to go with the Princess excurion.

Archived