westin diplomat in hollywood or the w ft lauderdale?

eggroll

i have a reservation this spring break (i know im early) for the W.

it's me dad (38) and my daughter (11). we have the marvelous suite booked (2 br, 1300 sq ft, with a kitchen and balcony over the ocean at the W in fort lauderdale.

we are sampling this suite before our cruise. the purpose is to tour properties that have good amenities for my moms suprise 65th bday.

the plan...

ill give my mother a surprise cruise shes always wanted.(she wanted to take myself and her grand daughter overseas or on a cruise)

ill tell her it is myself, my daughter, and herself going on the allure/oasis. (i chose this because its the biggest ship and she drives me crazy...)

she will not know about any other people going

we will have people coming in from many places (about 30-60), and they will have their own rooms, and go on the ship with us. <----- they are part of the big big surprise.

ill come in a day early and get the suite ready.

my mom will fly in with my daughter, and when they walk in the suite <---- my moms relatives and friends will yell "surprise!"

and then, with my moms vietnamese accent, she will complain about how much i spent

then i will give her money to gamble on this ship and she will stop whining... until she loses all of it.....

anyway.

we have been looking online and we just found the Westin diplomat. ive been on W properties before and im wondering if it will be like MTV beach party during the summer.

which i love, but im trying to stay classy in front of my kid and other nieces and nephews.....

the only thing i saw within walking distance for the W were more resorts (with pricey eating) and i saw a primantis sandwich. which ive tried the real one in Pittsburgh and its truly amazing. (is primantis in fort lauderdale good???)

now next question

is the westin diplomat in hollywood on par with the W in fort lauderdale?

im looking on google and apple maps and i can see a large building across the street from the diplomat and it says its a hertz rental. it looks rather large to be just car rental place.. im wondering whats within walking distance.

im trying to find out who has good local dives(not chain/commercial restaurants) within walking distances of these places. also light shopping.... walmarts, cvs, walgreens, publix, stuff)

ill rent a car if i have to, but when we all leave from the resort to the ship ill rent a couple limo buses to take us. we will get group rates for the lodging but it would be nice to find value dining nearby. not everyone in our family will have the same budget. ill be buying dinner/catering in the suite for everyone, but not for all the meals.

these were the only properties that had suites large enough that i could find.

w 1300 sq feet

westin diplomat 2500 sq feet

anything helps guys

thx for listening.

teddy

The Westin Diplomat is classier than the W, which is more fun and trendy. The pool at Westin is big and beautiful...the pool at W is "cool". I'm not sure there is anything in walking distance to Westin, but there is a sports bar/grill in the building across the street. W is walking distance to CVS at Beach Place, and Primante's (other direction), which is a takeout pizzaria/sub shop with a few tables (it is good). Some popular local dives among visitors (most locals avoid the beach area for dining) are Quarterdeck, Lulu's Bait Shack, Oasis, and Bahia Cabana. They are all walking distance, though Bahia Cabana is at least 1.5 miles away. The restaurants in the hotels are expensive. The ones outside of the hotels are more moderately priced but mostly aren't too good. From the W, guests can catch the SunTrolley to Galleria Mall or Publix. During the summer the W hosts open pool parties on weekends but in the spring it is open to hotel guests only. It doesn't really get wild, but there is a DJ and loud music and guests wear skimpy bikinis. There is a quieter pool in the west building. Maybe you could host your own pool party in the cabanas at either W pool.

Westin has little in close walking distance...(we enjoy walking, so a mile or more is in our comfort zone). Nothing really closer. The hotel has great restaurants, a nice hotel sports bar across the street. THe hotel has property on both sides of the road. It's a very pretty hotel. Classy for sure.

But in your case, with a group, I'd pick the W in Ft L. Being in Hollywood is away from the Ft L vibe, port, easy shopping and restaurant choices and the chance to use the water taxi which your daughter and mom will enjoy. We like Hollywood when we have a few days post cruise.

Does anybody know if either of these places offer a local shuttle?

What kind of shuttle? Airport? No.

There is the sun trolley in Ft.L and a trolley in Hollywood, both to get around the City a bit.

The staff said neither properties offer airport or port services. Correct

A shuttle to take you to local shopping or boardwalk I believe?

No, there is no shuttle per se offered at the two hotels. Well, at the Westin there is one that takes the guests to their golf course location and back. But that won't help you.

You will need to rely on the Sun trolley, water taxi, city bus or cab in Ft. L if needed. You can google the area and find all the things in walking distance from your hotel.

And in Hollywood, the little trolley bus that runs Thurs.-Mon. to the broadwalk or downtown area or the city bus or cab.

Much easier walking to and fro and more is available in Fort L than the Westin in Hollywood.

Archived