Hiking near Mendenhall?

cms204

I know there are trails near the glacier, but I am hoping someone who has taken one/several of them could suggest a loop. Maybe a few hours in total?

Our boat is docked in Juneau from 7:30AM until 8PM. My plan is to take a cab/bus from the pier to Mendenhall early in the day and do some hiking. I will be with a group of about 6-8. We're hoping for a decent trail, preferably something that loops from the glacier area with some views. We would follow that up by taking the shorter trail that leads down to the glacier.

Afterwards, I'm thinking that we head back downtown and spend the afternoon exploring that area. Is there enough to see for a couple of hours without doing something else organized? Might hop back onto the boat for a late lunch and then get back off afterwards if that's feasible.

Given the time we have in port, I'm thinking the West Glacier Trail might be of interest. From what Ive found it looks like it would be about a 5-6 hour hike for our group. Does anyone know about how long it would take to get to the trail head via taxi? Cost?

Archived