Recommend "real", non-chain restaurants?

The Mister

From what I've gathered, because Coz is THE most cruise-visited port in W.Carib, it's also the most touristy, and therefore the cuisine, as a whole, has a greater proportion of Americanization. (Correct me if I'm wrong. :))Of course, here in the Dallas area, there's a Tex-Mex restaurant on every corner, and frankly I got my fill of that before-kids.

Where are the best places to go and eat what the locals eat day-to-day? It doesn't have to be "weird" or anything, I just don't want to eat at Hard Rock / On the Border / Chili's (or anything like that) when I'm on vacation (or ever, really).

Tentatively, I, my wife and two kids (8 & 3) will just rent a car, go to one of the beaches for a couple of hours, and then head to a shopping / eating area elsewhere as per your recommendation. Alternatively, if the food at one or more of the beaches in question is just fine per my preference as indicated, we could just choose such a beach and eat there.

What say you all? :)

Feel free, of course, to direct me to others threads as appropriate.

There are threads back a page or two that have lots of recos. I invite you to search for "authentic" food on this board.

Variety of options. Downtown has lots of local loncherias and cocina economicas such as Las Familas, Sabores, Tonitas. Popular with tourist but somewhat Yucatan in menu is Casa Denis off the plaza. Further back in town is the fish market/restaurant San Carlos Pescaderia or Camarones Dorado (shrimp only) on the way out of town ont he Transversal Road. Around town there's Otates and El Candela with their palapa huts and El Cino Mariero taco stand near the Pemex station.

On the east side (Wild Side) beaches starting at the southern most point and heading north east, the Rasta Bar (in all its funkiness, has some of the best ceviche on the island. There used to be a Paradise Bar across the road from Rasta with very cheap local eats, but I think its closed. Playa Bonita and Chen Rio are known for their seafood. People like Cocounts forits view and drinks, but the food is standard Americaized Mex-Mex. Puenta Morneo has a nice lunch menu. For western beaches (where the "resorty beaches" are) Playa Palancar and Alberto's do have good food, not totally geared to Americanized tastes. Both are at the southern end of the West side beaches.

But check out the threads for others. And have a great time.

I agree there are a lot of great restaurants in Cozumel.....my question is about your renting a car....Have you ever driven in Mexico before. If not you might want to take a cab downtown and walk to the shops and restaurants. Driving in Mexico is extremely different than in the states. So it can be both tricky and dangerous.

Oh, really? I just figured that would be one thing I could count on to be more "Americanized" on the island. Maybe not?

I was just trying to save some money compared to taking taxi to a beach, then taxi to shopping/eating, then taxi back to port.

The driving is not really that bad, you just have to drive with lots of precaution and follow traffic signs.

Casa Denis is by far the oldest restaurant in Cozumel, you will enjoy it. Its right off the main plaza in down town and any local will guide you to it!

Archived