Copenhagen Card users

drsb

Hi,

I know there is a lot of discussion on the Wonderful Copenhagen thread, but I want to ask questions specific to Copenhagen Card and not have to sift through all the other "wonderful" information on that thread!

1. How long should I get my card for? We fly in on a Friday night, scheduled to land in Copenhagen at 6:30 pm. It is unlikely we will do anything unless i can convince the husband to head to Tivoli for dinner. BTW, we are staying at the Crowne Plaza Towers (free nights from business travel). We have all day Saturday and then we sail on NCL Star on Sunday, I believe all aboard is at 4pm. It seems 48 hours would be best if we take in Tivoli on Friday. But is it still better than the 24 hr, even if we plan to get in some last minute stuff on Sunday morning also?

2. What are the best deals? We are thinking of doing a Segway tour and the canal tour. I don't see the segway tour discounted on the regular website where you buy the card, but did see it listed as one to get a 10% discount on another site. I also want to see the sand castles, and R Castle. What else are must sees? Any "don't bother, there are too many better things to see in your short time in C?"

3. Where is the Star docked? I apologize for this question, but I keep looking at a map and can't quite figure it out. Can we get to the port, drop off the luggage then walk around that area some more before actually checking in? If there is a lot to see in that area, maybe we will skip that on Sat and save it for Sunday. Does the transportation offered by the C Card get you close to the ship or are we better off taking a taxi to drop off luggage then take the transportation to where we want to see.

4. What is the best ride at Tivoli? I don't want to get an all rides pass, but will spend some money and time to go on one awesome ride :D. Does the C card offer a discount on rides or food in Tivoli, or just entrance?

5. Since I don't know if we will go to Tivoli on Friday, am I better off waiting until I get there to buy the card? Do they sell them at the hotel or nearby train station or do I need to get it in the airport?

Thanks in advance! I hope I get some responses quickly because I would need to order them this weekend if I decide to get them via mail.

Deb

I will give you a proper reply tomorrow because I don't got the time now but a few things to consider are....

If you decide to buy the CPH card at the airport (or send it home) you can already use it to get from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Tivoli.

Tivoli is located one stop away from Ørestad station by your hotel, just take the regular trains instead of the metro.

And Aguila (or something similar), The Golden Tower, The Deamon and Vertigo are the top attractions in Tivoli but they also cost more than the others

Thanks Viking. Our hotel has free transportation from the airport to the hotel, which is why I am in this dilemma. If we know we will not use it on Friday, it might be worth getting only the 24 hour card. How late is Tivoli open? With time changes and such, I feel like I want to try and do something to acclimate ourselves, so a quick hop over to Tivoli, even if just for dinner, seems to make sense.

Are any signs in English over there or do I have to start to learn some key street names, food names, etc in Danish.

by the way, how do I say please and thank you in Danish?

Thanks Viking. Our hotel has free transportation from the airport to the hotel, which is why I am in this dilemma. If we know we will not use it on Friday, it might be worth getting only the 24 hour card. How late is Tivoli open? With time changes and such, I feel like I want to try and do something to acclimate ourselves, so a quick hop over to Tivoli, even if just for dinner, seems to make sense.

Are any signs in English over there or do I have to start to learn some key street names, food names, etc in Danish.

we stayed at the same hotel when we cruised the region 2 summers ago. The front desk can sell 1 and 2 zone transportation cards, so you could go to Tivoli Friday night w/o the card, not sure what the savings, not savings would be.

We ended up not getting the card at all, because we weren't doing any museums or castles - I wanted to walk the streets most, and go to Tivoli.

I can tell you, after flying from NY, we were antsy and ended up walking all over Copenhagen on our first day.

I love rides, but don't like going on them by myself. DH not a ride person. So, I didn't go on any rides at Tivoli, but Vertigo is the one that looked most terrifying/fun.

We enjoyed the hot dogs at Tivoli, too.

As for the street names and food, please, anyone Danish understand this in the spirit it is meant and take no offense of my butchering of your language, but for English speakers, Danish signs are not difficult to read, but impossible to pronounce. Menus, even in places with just Danish, you can figure out what many things are - hamburger for instance was something like beefburgerer.

just make a written note of the specific station you want and what line you are on and the last stop for what direction for the train or metro.

Copenhagen was, I think, the only European city I didn't get lost in, lol.

there is a place at the transportation centers to swipe/stamp your card - but no turnstiles. First day, dh & I completely missed getting our metro card stamped. We didn't see the post, and we used to NY where there is no way you could accidentally get on a train without paying. We were most fortunate that we didn't get stopped - which did happen on our second day, when, luckily we asked someone to tell us what we were supposed to do with the transportation card.

Enjoy!

First thing to consider.

Entrance at Tivoli is 95 DKK and if you enter Friday after 20:00 it costs 135 DKK.

Look for the schedule here to see who performs that Friday at the outdoor stage

http://www.fredagsrock.dk/en/

So you will already save alot by using the card already there.

Is R Castle perhaps Rosenborg Castle, If thats the case then don´t miss the crown jewels.

The Segway tour is not listed on the official webside so no discounts im afraid.

The Norwegian Star is Docked at the Freeport Terminal.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?q=Orient+Plads,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.284908,11.710779&sspn=1.905154,4.938354&oq=orient&t=h&hnear=Orient+Plads,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%98&z=16

As you can see on this map its an industral area so if you can push the arrival time to as late as possible it would be better.

Nordhavn station is very close to the pier, 10-15 minutes on foot.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nordhavn+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Orient+Plads,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.708291,12.592435&sspn=0.007362,0.01929&geocode=FRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw%3BFQsVUgMdiC_AACn32cx761JSRjGOQj4sdv2NPA&oq=nordhavn&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

Tivoli stays open till 10PM Sunday through Thursday, 12:30 on Friday and midnight on Saturday. Here is the official website: http://www.tivoli.dk/en/

If you can get used to Danish spelling and have a decent map, you will get by without any problems. Most restaurants have a menu in English and Danish and the tourist friendly signs around town do the same.

"Thank you" in Danish is "tak." You can also vary it a bit and say "tusand tak" (a thousand thanks), "Tak skall du hey" (Thanks shall you have), "mange tak" (many thanks), or, a very useful one, "tak for mal" (thanks for the meal).

There is really no direct Danish translation for "please." Some recommend "Vær så venlig" (ver so ven lee) which translates literally as "be as you (like). But if you use this phrase Danes will know you are foreign, so you might as well just say please.

A more useful word to know is undskyld, pronounced roughly between unskill or onskill. It is essentially the Danish word for "excuse" as when you bump into someone and want to apologize, but comes in real handy for getting someone's attention by saying "undskyld mej" - unskill my - "excuse me" in English. Saying "Hallo" (Hello) will usually get the same result.

Given the prevalence of English in Copenhagen, "Tak" and "Undskyld" are really all you need to know.

Tivoli stays open till 10PM Sunday through Thursday, 12:30 on Friday and midnight on Saturday. Here is the official website: http://www.tivoli.dk/en/

If you can get used to Danish spelling and have a decent map, you will get by without any problems. Most restaurants have a menu in English and Danish and the tourist friendly signs around town do the same.

"Thank you" in Danish is "tak." You can also vary it a bit and say "tusand tak" (a thousand thanks), "Tak skall du hey" (Thanks shall you have), "mange tak" (many thanks), or, a very useful one, "tak for mal" (thanks for the meal).

There is really no direct Danish translation for "please." Some recommend "Vær så venlig" (ver so ven lee) which translates literally as "be as you (like). But if you use this phrase Danes will know you are foreign, so you might as well just say please.

A more useful word to know is undskyld, pronounced roughly between unskill or onskill. It is essentially the Danish word for "excuse" as when you bump into someone and want to apologize, but comes in real handy for getting someone's attention by saying "undskyld mej" - unskill my - "excuse me" in English. Saying "Hallo" (Hello) will usually get the same result.

Given the prevalence of English in Copenhagen, "Tak" and "Undskyld" are really all you need to know.

Tusand tak is spelled Tusind tak,

tak for mal is tak for mad

undskyld mej is undskyld mig

Undskyld is pronounced with the y sound and not the I sound, both d´s is silent.

Tusand tak is spelled Tusind tak,

tak for mal is tak for mad

undskyld mej is undskyld mig

Undskyld is pronounced with the y sound and not the I sound, both d´s is silent.

Thanks for the finer points Danish Viking!

"Tusand tak" was a typo, thanks for the correction.

"Tak for mal" was a deliberate misspelling. I just knew that if I posted "tak for mad" with an explanation about the "d" sounding like an "l" in this word, too many folks would still say "tak for mad." ;)

And the vowel in undskyld you characterize as a "y" sound is not a "y" sound to an native English speaker. In that context I think you mean a sound more close to the English "u" and that's a good point. But if you spell it "unskull" rather than "unskill" and ask an American to pronounce that, it may or may not be closer to the Danish way to say "undskyld."

But as you well know no foreigner can ever pronounce Danish vowels truly correctly, at least not without decades of work. :D Nonetheless, I have found most Danes appreciate it (and/or get a good-natured laugh out of it) when we try anyway.

ahh i see, then It makes more sense.

But just speak English, even with our brothers and sisters from Norway and Sweden some does speak English enstead off.

But I will always try to speak to them in our mothers tongue, anything else is a failure in my world. :D

But just speak English, atleast iwouldassume that the person that speaks to me speak some danish if they try to speak danish to me and then the situation will just turn awkward.

So a (please) can you help me or excuse me will do fine.

Archived