Review of recent Bermuda Cruise

Tybro

Just returned from Bermuda on the Dawn.

SHIP REVIEW: Room was small, but okay. Entertainment was okay. Comedian was great, but everything else was just your basic cruise ship stuff. Music in the only dance club was a bit outdated and repetitive and not great if you're over 30. Food was horrible. Ate at buffet, both dining rooms, La Cucina and Steakhouse. Don't waste your money. Just eat the lousy food for free. Service was horrible. Took forever to get service at dining rooms and at bars, no one ever smiles. All wait and bar staff seemed annoyed to be there. Cruise director did his best and was fun.

BERMUDA REVIEW: Weather was great. Water is still a bit cold, but okay once you get used to it. Day at Horseshoe beach is a MUST. Just buy a bus token right outside the ship and get on the bus marked SPECIAL. It goes straight to the beach, non stop and comes by the beach every hour until around 6pm to return to ship. If beach is crowded, just walk to the left and go past the rocks and you'll have entire beaches to yourself.

Went on waverunner tour with company right there on the dock. Was great and cheaper than going with the ship.

Went to Snorkel Park just to take a look. Is pretty lame and not worth the time to go to unless you just want a close place for the kids to wade in the water. Went on a snorkeling trip with company right on the dockyard and it was awesome. Friends went to the caves and said it was a waste of time.

Walked around the dockyard and looked in shops. The glass factory was cool, but the rest were the usual tourist junk and not very interesting.

There are so many things to see and do on Bermuda that I think I will just go there for a week next year.

I was surprise to read Tybro's review, because we had such a fantastic time. Ok, the food was average buffet, but there were always plenty to choose from and different ethnic foods were available. The inside stateroom we had exceeded my expectations and was very clean and had more room than expected. Not a lot for the tweens to do, but we enjoyed the cruise games, bingo, deal or no deal and shuffle board. There was ping pong, basketball and a small arcade. The pool area was small, but ok for a dip. I found the staff to be very friendly and engaged. Many gave us tips on where to sit for shows and when the best times to eat were. The shows were awesome and we saw everyone. The comedian, Tim Kaminski was good, but could be predictable by the end of the cruise. That being said we laughed our butts off. I took this trip with my 12 yr old son and Bermuda was fantastic! Skip the excursions and the man made snorkle park. Crystal caves you can do without. I recommend Somerset Bridge water sports for a seadoo tour, they pay for your taxi to their site about 15 minutes from ship. Take the bus back. We bought a three day bus pass that included unlimited bus and ferry. Take the ferry to St. george and walk to Tobacco Bay for awesome snorkling. Then walk the shops and have lunch before you return on the 330 pm ferry. Church Bay has some of the best snorkling, however it can be a rougher swim. Take the bus to Horshoe Bay and have a rum swizzler while you take in the sights. An umbrella and beach chair will cost you extra at all the beaches. Stop in at the Frog and Onion for a drink before heading back on ship. Overall this trip was a 4+ star. Note...share the soda package on the ship and bring your own insulated mug for ice tea ,water and lemonade. Also if you like wine, bring your own for a 15$ corkage fee, still cheaper than their cheapest bottle. I have already booked another back to Bermuda, but on the Breakaway...only because it has waterslides for my son!

As they say, different strokes for different folks. I've been on so many cruises that maybe I'm just spoiled by the better quality ones now. I personally would not go on NCL again, but I'm sure many many people enjoyed this cruise. I actually had a great time, but that's just because I was with fun people and enjoy cruising. Even the worst cruise is pretty good!

As they say, different strokes for different folks. I've been on so many cruises that maybe I'm just spoiled by the better quality ones now. I personally would not go on NCL again, but I'm sure many many people enjoyed this cruise. I actually had a great time, but that's just because I was with fun people and enjoy cruising. Even the worst cruise is pretty good!

I hear you. I think i didn't go in with high expectations knowing it was a smaller ship. I also really enjoyed Bermuda! Do you have any favorite cruises you can share?

It amazes me to read the reviews and see people that are on the same cruise score it totally differently. One person loves the food and the staff, another person, on the same cruise, hates the staff, food, room and weather. I've been on ten cruises six on NCL, three on HAL and one RCL. HATED RCL, HAL was stuffy and had a slightly older group < I'm 65 so you can imagine>. I love NCL. Is it Perfect? No. But what in life is. I was at the pool one hot day and there were a few pitchers of cold Iced tea on a cart. I walked up thinking how nice it was to have the ice tea sitting there , poured myself a glass and was thinking how lucky I was. There was a woman standing there looking around and with a nasty tone stated " What has cruising come to? I actually have to pour my OWN iced tea!" Go figure.

Real Raven,

I'm glad you love NCL. I personally don't like them. That doesn't make me petty or less accepting than you, or unable to enjoy myself. It just means I don't like them compared to all the other cruises I've been on. If we all had the same opinion, there wouldn't be much point to this website would there? One person could just write a review and be done with it.

Jagg501,

Our favorite cruises so far have been a Baltic cruise to Russia and two transatlantic cruises. One from Barcelona to NY, one from Dover to NY, all on Celebrity. Most transatlantics come straight back, which is 6 days at sea. That's a bit much for me so we managed to find transatlantics that stop in Greenland and Nova Scotia so we were never out to sea more than 3 days. The passengers are a bit older on these cruises, but we always managed to find more than enough fun people in our age group (50's) to have a drink and a laugh. I love the martini bar on Celebrity. It always seems to become the central "place to be" for socializing and meeting fun people. I think the food is far superior to any other ships I've been on. It was so good in the dining room that we never bothered with the specialty restaurants. Service from everyone on all of these cruises was stellar. The crew was friendly, accomodating, and went out of their way to be fun and energizing (bartneders put on quite a show at the martini bars). We also made good friends on 2 of these cruises that we now keep in touch with and cruise with. I have enjoyed every cruise I've ever been on, but if I am to compare ships, food, and service, then Celebrity so far has been the best. We're trying Princess this year so we'll see.....

As you say Tybro, different strokes, I got off the Dawn a week ago today and LOVED it, see my review below

This was a college graduation gift for my daughter (22) traveling with my sister and my niece (25, as well. Ages 22-59. We all had a wonderful time. Room was clean and spacious, steward Aris wonderful. We paid the corkage fee ($15 per bottle) for our own wine, had a bottle with dinner every night, well worth it. Blue Lagoon good for quick bite, Garden buffet great for breakfast and snack. Ate in both the Venetian and Aqua, both good for dinner, not great, but ok, Venetian prettier, and also ate at both Teppanyaki and Moderno. These were well worth the price as food was delicious, and hot and fresh.

Entertainment was superb, starting with headline comic Tim Kaminski who sets the tone for guests and his colleagues for a great fun week. All shows (Broadway, Band on the Run) were great; we especially liked headline singers Becky and David. We loved karaoke in Pearly Pub with Justin and Gatsby's jazz and trivia with Ariel. Cruise band BE Free in Spinnaker terrific as well. Cruise director Gio a lot of fun. BBQ by the pool great food.

My daughter (first cruise) could not believe all the options on board. We did the Presumed Murder lunch with Second City (just ok) although they were funny in their show. Great weather every day, loved lounging in the sun. Bermuda was just as beautiful as all say. Took the Rising Son catamaran (shore excursion $79) first day in port, snorkel and swim in Deep Bay, pretty fish and caves and grottos, unlimited rum swizzles on ride back, well worth the money. Lots to do by wharf, especially Monday night festival, crafts, music. Bought a 2 day pass ($25) for bus and ferry and did Horseshoe Beach, sand so clean and water so clear, body surfing, rented chairs and umbrellas (cash only $10 chair $5 deposit refunded, then took bus to Hamilton, saw town, walked around, took ferry back. Next day ferry to beautiful St. George, St. peter's, perfume factory (small home, well worth the short tour), Crystal Caves ($22 but worth it), then lunch at the Swizzle Inn, ferry back to boat. Last night we skipped Bollywood, lay on deck and did Moderno, delicious meats and free pitcher of yummy Brazilian punch. Scavenger hunt at 11pm with Tim Kaminski was a riot! Would do this again in a heartbeat, just wish we had one more day in Bermuda. Drinks on board were weak and not that tasty, stick with beer and wine. Also brought our own soda (no charge).

Since my last cruise was high-end Crystal, my expectations were not that high, but I was pleasantly surprised by how great this was. Also, would go this time of year, weather not too humid, kids not out of school yet so more adult experience.

Archived