Dream Tropical Treasures

Want to walk in rainforests, look out for tropical creatures like iguanas and exotic birds (hubby loves spotting birds he knows every one in this country,) see giant ancient trees and plants, see bananas and mangoes growing.. laze on fab beaches, swim in sea as warm as bathwater, visit markets..do glass bottom submarine trip-don't do snorkelling-see botanical gardens and much more :):)

rainforest dominica

dominicajungle.jpg

[/url]

rain shower antigua

antiguar.jpg

mangoes growing dominica

mangoes.jpg

can you tell...I'm really missing the caribbean

Nice pics geomagot. Did you came across any snakes? :eek::eek::eek: Please tell me you did not. I know I said I want to see exotic creatures but I hope we won't see them crawling in front of us or bump into some hanging from trees.

Have I read on here somewhere that you are going again this winter:)

We were on Dream Jan this year for our first cruise, and loved it so much we are going on another back to back next year, Tropical Treasures and Latin Gems. Looking forward to the early morning sail ins and the beautiful sunrises, and a different island to explore nearly every day.

This little fella was on the way up to Brimstone Hill fortress St Kitts.

http://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1646#1646

Joe

HI Joe super pictures we stopped at the casuarina barbados stay and cruise this year,took bananas from hotel and fed the green monkey,s two troops in hotel ground,s also saw turtle,s hatching from the sand keep photo,s coming

We were on Dream Jan this year for our first cruise, and loved it so much we are going on another back to back next year, Tropical Treasures and Latin Gems. Looking forward to the early morning sail ins and the beautiful sunrises, and a different island to explore nearly every day.

When are you going next winter will it be Jan again or in March?

Let me know when you are going away Jackie and I will book some other weeks :D:D:D

Ooooops, sorry Linda. Maybe I should have explained that you can never tell what the weather will be like! I never let a bit of bad weather spoil a holiday. We were on AI so spent the rainy weather in the bars and made lots of friends!! Thinking about it you may be right....that Canary cruise that did not get to Madeira....

Oh our daughter was married Sat 17 April 2010, 2 or 3 days after the volcano erupted. The honeymoon had been booked for the following Tuesday at Dominican Republic. The put it off 'til July, was all so unexpected and disappointing but the wedding was lovely.

I was in Mexico with friends at the time of the ash cloud and loved it so persuaded DH to go the following October and we met a couple who had got married there with only half the family because the other half could not get there due to the ash cloud. Because of their disappointment someone had paid for them to have another honeymoon in that hotel and some of the guests who could not make the wedding were there as well.

Did you get to climb the pyramid at Chitchen-Itza (not sure if spelling is right)

we did..hubby got to the top but I could only manage 3/4 of it and I found it more difficult coming down.

We were not allowed to climb it in October 2010, fortunately, because I would have wanted to and probably got stuck coming down. :eek:

One thing that bothers me is mosquitoes or other bitey things.

Is it bad?

Do you need to apply anti insect cream in the daytime?

Usually only in the evening and especially after rain. I hate the little monsters!! I buy the mossie room sprays in the country I am in. Or last time just borrowed the spray on the maid's trolley.

The good thing about being on a cruise ship, they don't seem to be around on ship. :)

I have some Deet100 which I bought about 3 years ago but never used, will cover myself with that for the forests, also have Deet50 which kept them away in Turkey will take both and some Afterbite which stops any itching immediately.

I did see a boa once in dominca and I once saw a dead boa on aruba (boas are pretty harmless) snakes are so shy you will be very very lucky to see one (even in the forest) and most (like blind snakes) are harmless (the mosquitos are more of a problem in the rain forest...definitely need some deet if you are going to the waterfalls or river tubing there

st kitts has no snakes as they have a mongoose population (they dont have many rats either because of the mongoose)

despite all my tropical travels....... the one place I have seen the most snakes is in the new forest in hampshire

Jakanne that was really kind of that person who paid for another honeymoon.

geomagot....but boa constrictors wrap themselves around their prey to squeeze the life out of them.

I saw something horrible in Cairns, a giant yellow/green snake had been run over and squashed but was still alive....sorry to anyone eating breakfast at the moment.

I have some Deet100 which I bought about 3 years ago but never used, will cover myself with that for the forests, also have Deet50 which kept them away in Turkey will take both and some Afterbite which stops any itching immediately.

That sounds like you are well covered against mossies. :rolleyes::). There is also a little pale blue gadget you can buy for if you get a mossie bite. It's only about 2/3cms long so easy to carry. You just place one end on the bite and press it and it gives a little "spark" which is supposed to stop the itch. It does work! Got mine on a travel equipment display in a supermarket.

Your photos are fabulous Joe :) Brought back lovely memories. What sort of camera do you have? I want one :D:D

It's a Canon SX220HS Linda.

I got this one just after Christmas in the sales and and still getting used to it. Some different settings than the previous Canon's I have had, the way it sets itself on Auto is totally different to the old ones and getting used to the way it handles low light levels is proving tricky. I am having to go into program mode and set the ISO manually.

It's breaking me in slowly.....:D

It's a Canon SX220HS Linda.

I got this one just after Christmas in the sales and and still getting used to it. Some different settings than the previous Canon's I have had, the way it sets itself on Auto is totally different to the old ones and getting used to the way it handles low light levels is proving tricky. I am having to go into program mode and set the ISO manually.

It's breaking me in slowly.....:D

Mine's a Canon SX200IS and I am ashamed to say it is permanently on that green bit that says Auto....! Oh, and sometimes on movie. And even worse, I take a small Lumix point and shoot on holiday because it's small and fits better in my bag and I don't want to lose my Canon or get it stolen. :(. That means i get less "practise" on the Canon. Your photos are lovely.

Archived