need a wheel chair in Southampton when boarding the ship

eded1953

Hi

I will be needing a wheel chair to board the ship when i arrive in Southampton. I will be arriving on the bus the cruise line transports people. I would just like some idea what will i do from there - are there many wheel chairs available and is there much walking.....I will be traveling alone so I would just some idea on what i should expect.

Thank You

Hi

I will be needing a wheel chair to board the ship when i arrive in Southampton. I will be arriving on the bus the cruise line transports people. I would just like some idea what will i do from there - are there many wheel chairs available and is there much walking.....I will be traveling alone so I would just some idea on what i should expect.

Thank You

You don't state the cruise line, however the process is generally the same :

Wheelchair assistance is only available by the cruise line on embarkation and disembarkation days only. Wheelchairs are not provided for the duration of the cruise or on port days.

1. Contact the cruise line and have it noted in your booking that wheelchair assistance will be needed on embarkation and disembarkation day.
  2. On embarkation day (first day of cruise) - once at the port go inside the port terminal and speak to a cruise line representative. They will direct you to the waiting area and get you on the list for wheelchair assistance.
  3. As far as the number of wheelchairs, it's a limited amount and will generally be located to a waiting area in which you will be assisted in the order of when you got on the list.
  4. Never cruised out of Southampton however any cruise port terminal I've ever been in does have quite of bit of walking involved.
  5. On disembarkation day ( last day of cruise) it will generally be posted in the cruise news distributed the evening before to your cabin as to where you are to go on the ship to obtain wheelchair assistance to get off the ship.

You don't state the cruise line, however the process is generally the same :

Wheelchair assistance is only available by the cruise line on embarkation and disembarkation days only. Wheelchairs are not provided for the duration of the cruise or on port days.

1. Contact the cruise line and have it noted in your booking that wheelchair assistance will be needed on embarkation and disembarkation day.
  2. On embarkation day (first day of cruise) - once at the port go inside the port terminal and speak to a cruise line representative. They will direct you to the waiting area and get you on the list for wheelchair assistance.
  3. As far as the number of wheelchairs, it's a limited amount and will generally be located to a waiting area in which you will be assisted in the order of when you got on the list.
  4. Never cruised out of Southampton however any cruise port terminal I've ever been in does have quite of bit of walking involved.
  5. On disembarkation day ( last day of cruise) it will generally be posted in the cruise news distributed the evening before to your cabin as to where you are to go on the ship to obtain wheelchair assistance to get off the ship.

Thank you for getting back to me - it will be on RCCL - it is the same procedure no matter where you embark - I have time but wanted to see what i should expect if anything different

If you let the cruise line know in advance of your needs and then have it in your airline notes (and tell the flight attendants as well) so you will be met at your arrival gate with a wheelchair and have it's use with a helper (please tip the helpers) until you reach the cruise line helpers (they have signs) and the gathering point for the bus.

A wheelchiar should meet you at the bus on arrival at Southampton to get on your ship.

Make your needs very, very plain to all concerned. This is not a time to be shy.

Folks will also help you with your luggage, but keep your valuables, medicines etc in a bag on your lap and keep it with you as you board your ship and get to your own room. Travel papers in hand or very handy through the entire process.

Bon Voyage!

Archived