Nassau Rum Factory/Gray Cliffs

missdebi

Thank you scubagirl for the recommendation! We walked from the port to John Watlings Distillery and it was well worth it! On our way we walked by Gray Cliffs, I had read on here how pretty it was so we walked in the lobby, 2 ladies were sitting in the front area they gave us a pamphlet and told us to enjoy the grounds. It is beautiful, so peaceful, every walkway and doorway lead us to nice surprises! The cigar factory is so cool, you will love it. We then walked on to the Distillery and it was another great surprise. The grounds are gorgeous and it was neat watching the rum be processed, all by hand! We ended up in the bar for a taste the rum is fantastic and the hospitality from the staff is top notch! The drink are reasonably priced and tasty!

• 3 weeks later...

I felt completely safe with my DH! But..... I asked him what he thought and he said that he did not think it was a good idea for two women to go anywhere off the main area by themselves. We are always more cautious. We saw a policeman and asked him about the area and he told us we would be fine, we asked because we had received a note in our cabin the night before telling us the the US embassy had issued a travelers advisory for Nassau. Maybe you can hook up with some others on your roll call.

• 1 month later...
It is around a mile, not a bad walk at all. I will get you the link to a map.

Thanks Debi. Is it a safe walk? Also, have you went through the tour? If so, was it good and is there anything else close by?

Thanks again :):)

Thank you scubagirl for the recommendation! We walked from the port to John Watlings Distillery and it was well worth it! On our way we walked by Gray Cliffs, I had read on here how pretty it was so we walked in the lobby, 2 ladies were sitting in the front area they gave us a pamphlet and told us to enjoy the grounds. It is beautiful, so peaceful, every walkway and doorway lead us to nice surprises! The cigar factory is so cool, you will love it. We then walked on to the Distillery and it was another great surprise. The grounds are gorgeous and it was neat watching the rum be processed, all by hand! We ended up in the bar for a taste the rum is fantastic and the hospitality from the staff is top notch! The drink are reasonably priced and tasty!

This is great to know. We plan to visit both of these places as well :)

We went over to Gray Cliff on the Tru Bahamian Food Tour for the chocolate. We got to walk through the grounds. It was beautiful. The best chocolate I have ever had! The food tour was great, too. The highlight of our trip to Nassau.

Thanks Debi. Is it a safe walk? Also, have you went through the tour? If so, was it good and is there anything else close by?

Thanks again :):)

Follow the route that is show on the map referenced on this thread and you will be fine. The "tour" is self guided and basically walking through the distillery and talking to the gentlemen making and bottling the rum! The view of the port is beautiful There is a art museum and Graycliffs on the way it is a neat walk looking at the architecture.

If you are on FB you can "like" John Watlings Rum Distillery"

We went over to Gray Cliff on the Tru Bahamian Food Tour for the chocolate. We got to walk through the grounds. It was beautiful. The best chocolate I have ever had! The food tour was great, too. The highlight of our trip to Nassau.

Gray Cliff's chocolate tour and Waitling's Rum tour are both open to the public for free. Sampling tours at Gray Cliff's are $10.

No need to do a Food tour to do either (or both) of these. They are in the same area and a short walk (which is how you get there on the food tours)

Both estates are open to roam around the grounds. Both are quite beautiful .. and nice relaxing day.

Thanks for the map and the info. We have been to the Bahamas so many times but have not made it to either of these so the plan is made...can't wait :)

The distillery has only been there 4 months...........Like you,we have been many times........over 50,so we like to try something different,

I read on the distillery's FB page that the carriages were now making trips there I have not heard from anyone that has done it but you could negotiate a carriage ride "up the hill"

My daughter and her family just got off the Breeze they went to Grand Turk,Jamaica and Nassau and like us it was her 6th trip to Nassau and she said Nassau was the highlight of the ports they enjoyed the distillery and they have redone the area around the straw market and put in a water area that the kids played in.

I agree. The Tru Bahamian Food Tour is exceptional and highly recommended for those who want to eat great food, including the chocolates at Graycliff, while taking a walking tour! Alanna is a wonderful guide and her food tour is the best.

I agree. The Tru Bahamian Food Tour is exceptional and highly recommended for those who want to eat great food, including the chocolates at Graycliff, while taking a walking tour! Alanna is a wonderful guide and her food tour is the best.

The Rum factory isn't includeed on this tour, correct.

Plus the Rum factory and Chocalate tour are free - Tru Bahamian is $60 or so.

Friday happy hour features Graycliff's hor' doeves at the Rum Factory. Delish.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone remember how much it was for the rum and what sizes they had? We are going there in early Oct and wanted to pickup some rum.

I think it was one size..normal size bottles..approx $20-$50 a bottle.

Does anyone remember how much it was for the rum and what sizes they had? We are going there in early Oct and wanted to pickup some rum.

If you are on FB they have a page, they would answer your question! They have several to choose from but I cannot remember the pricing but PH8's answer sounds right. It was very tasty and I will be purchasing several on our 10/27/13 cruise :D

missdebi - a couple of Watling's Distillery photos I've seen had a tervis tumbler-type glass with a Distillery graphic on it. did you notice anything like that available for sale? my daughter would flip! i emailed the distillery but never heard back :-(

thanks!

Archived