Leaving Kids on Ship in Port

HappyMomTo3

To me it would depend on what you had planned for "date day". I would be comfortable leaving them on the ship if I were not going very far/long into port. For instance wandering around Old San Juan or visiting 6 mile beach in Grand Cayman I'd be okay with since I could get back anytime I felt like it, wouldn't be gone terribly long, and extremely unlikely I'd miss the ship. I wouldn't be comfortable going on a long involved excursion with them on board. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have done it. Twice on our last cruise. I did ask the kids to come with me but they wanted to stay in the kids club. I did not want to drag reluctant kids around with me nor did I want to miss an exciting port and stay on the ship just because they would rather play.

Like Mia I am a single mom and we basically have no relatives. So every time I go to the grocery store there is the (hopefully very slight) chance that something could happen to me. If something ever did happen, having the kids safe and sound at the kids club would not be the worst situation.

That said I would not go off the ship if there was a good chance that I might miss the ship and I wouldn't do any risky excursion (e.g. extreme sports etc.). Once I went on a half-day ship tour which was never more than maybe 40 minutes from the port (and there were many hours between our scheduled return and all aboard). The second time was in Dubai where I went on a sight-seeing tour on my own. However, the ship was staying in port overnight so again no real chance of missing the boat.

I really think it depends on the kids' ages, their personalities, and your own particular situation.

Archived