Balcony neighbor horror stories

We were AFT on FOS 8412.

If you are AFT, you kind of need to become one with your AFT neighbors.

By saying that, I mean:If you go out in the morning in your jamjams, the balconies above you can see you. If you turn around, you can see them.

Your AFT balconie is not totally private and you have to think before you go out (or dont care)

On deck 8, I could see down into the Deck 6 suite (I think Presidential Suite?????) and a young child was nakkie and I could see him. He wasnt there for long.

I saw a video on youtube of a group of teen (maybe college kids) in the extended hottubes and there was a nakkie woman on her balcony and the kids videotaped her. let's just say, it looked like she had some surgeries and was not ashamed of her "New" apperance and was waving to the kids, etc. it might still be on youtube.

HaHa. This thread FINALLY got interesting.

Hoping not to truly derail but

I seriously believe that many balcony cruisers have no idea the balcony lights are on or they think that it is the ships lights that stay on.

I'm one of them!! After I read that I thought, hmmm I bet I've left it on not realizing it was on because we always shut the draps so its dark in the morning!!

I will definitely be watching on our next cruise!!

My only problems with balcony neighbors have been a couple who drank a lot and insisted on singing at the tops of their lungs. Of course, they weren't good singers! We just laughed a lot although some quiet time would have been nice.

We also had a couple next to us on one cruise who wanted to bond and do things with us. We just wanted to do our own thing. Everytime they heard our balcony door open they were hanging around the partition to chat.

As for smoking, I only smoke about 4 a day on my balcony. Once I heard neighbors complaining so I tried not to smoke while they were out. If I did smoke when they were out, I would wet a paper towel and blow the smoke into the we paper towel. It absorbs the smoke so it goes nowhere. I just did that in a pinch.

We are what I would think as of being considerate smokers too and will try to avoid if I know neighbors are on their balcony. Never thought of the wet paper towel idea. That is great and will try that if needed on our next cruise in November.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

OK, gotta add my 0.02 worth, probably not even worth that much. ;)

#1. If I am standing at the railing, please feel free to speak to me. If I am sitting on my balcony, DON"T look around the divider to see me or speak to me. If I'm at the rail,, talk away. My opinion is it a private balcony and what I am doing in my private area is my business. This does not mean I'm not sociable (sp), it means I like my privacy. We own a small mom and pop type of business and provide great service our customers 51 weeks a year. It is our one week to relax and enjoy being by ourselves.

#2. Smoking. We are not smokers and do not have a problem with a smoker stepping onto their balcony to burn one occasionally. Unfortunately, my DW has asthma. If this person is a chain smoker, I will knock on their door and ask to discuss the situation. I have found most smokers understand and are sympathetic to others. For the most part, common courtesy goes a long way.

#3. Music. Yes, we play music on our balcony, VERY LOW VOLUME. If my neighbor is out on their balcony and I can see them standing at the rail, I will ask them if the music is bothering them. Again, just like smoking, common courtesy. If I am interferring with the quiet enjoyment of another passenger by playing the music, off it goes. Should someone knock on my door and ask to turn it down, by all means, the volume is either lowered or turned off.

We are all on vacation, lets all enjoy it. Work together and vacation will be even better and everyone is happy.

Tim

Well said. Respectful communication on the part of all involved is the key.

It makes no sense to me that any non-smoker who has severe reactions to smoke knowingly books a balcony cabin with the knowledge that other cruisers may be smoking on adjoining or nearby balconies. Why would you put yourself in a situation that is so intolerable for you? Why would you put a pricey vacation at risk of being significantly negatively impacted?

I'm editing this because upon rereading it, it came out harsher than I intended...I really am more curious than being argumentative.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I get where you're coming from. If I had a health issue I would take care of myself, not expect others to. What I don't understand is that so many non-smokers have suggested that smokers go to other cruise lines but the unhappy non-smokers never switched to non-smoking balcony lines.

People are just interesting and everyone has their own way of looking at things, I guess.

Archived