Balcony neighbor horror stories

When I posted this thread I had no idea what would become of it. I have learned a lot about what to do and what not to do:rolleyes:.

Now let's see if we can continue on with balcony stories without mentioning the forbidden words (smoke' date=' smokers, cigarettes, cigars, smoking etc). The first one who mentions one of those words needs to pay [b']Tim[/b] the 1 million I owe him.:D

Say it! Say it!!! :D

Tim

No my point is that it appears that the smokers, music players, card players, people that talk above a whisper, etc always should compromise not to do this things on their balconies in order to appease the neighbors who paid for a balcony the same as the forementioned people. In other they have to give up what they like to do so the neighbor can be happy all the time... I don't think so!

I think you choose to misrepresent what reasonable people are saying.

Nobody with a balcony issue is asking for their neighbours to never play music/smoke/play cards etc etc, what those that are affected by certain levels of such activities are asking, is that those who practice them don't do so on a constant basis that would mean they can't enjoy their balcony at least 50% of the time.

Most people are saying lets compromise so every one achieves a 50/50 outcome.

What's wrong with both parties having to compromise a little?

How is it OK for a smoker/music player to constantly fill their neighbours balcony with smoke/loud noise when that neighbour also paid for a balcony to enjoy the solitude & clean sea air?

Both have the right to enjoy their balcony experience, so the only fair option is that both compromise if the activities of one negatively affects the other.

That's what civilised people do where I am from.

It makes no sense to me that any non-smoker who has severe reactions to smoke knowingly books a balcony cabin with the knowledge that other cruisers may be smoking on adjoining or nearby balconies. Why would you put yourself in a situation that is so intolerable for you? Why would you put a pricey vacation at risk of being significantly negatively impacted?

I'm editing this because upon rereading it, it came out harsher than I intended...I really am more curious than being argumentative.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It makes no sense to me that any non-smoker who has severe reactions to smoke knowingly books a balcony cabin with the knowledge that other cruisers may be smoking on adjoining or nearby balconies. Why would you put yourself in a situation that is so intolerable for you? Why would you put a pricey vacation at risk of being significantly negatively impacted?

I'm editing this because upon rereading it, it came out harsher than I intended...I really am more curious than being argumentative.

We enjoy sitting on our balcony and almost always get a suite - why should we be relegated to a smaller inside cabin just because smoke bothers us?

I'm not saying you should, I just don't understand why anyone would risk that kind of money and end up not having use of what you paid for. The smoker is doing absolutely nothing wrong. He/she is following the rules set up by the cruise line.

If you follow on from that argument it would then suggest all non smokers with unpleasant reactions to smoke do not cruise at all, do not walk down the street, because there is the chance that they will encounter smoke drift even in designated non smoking areas that have nothing to do with the type of cabin you book.

As already noted in this thread, many have had no problems at all with smoking affecting their balcony. So it's not a guarantee you will be affected if you book a balcony. I personally like the idea of not being enclosed inside a cabin with 100% air conditioned air, the option to have access to the outdoors & fresh air is one of the reasons I book a balcony.

I also expect that at some time I may not be able to use it if a nearby smoker cannot prevent their smoke from affecting my balcony space.

But I do not expect that I can't use it most of the time due to smoke.

I'm sure plenty of smokers would complain about things that negatively affect them when using their balcony & would hope that their neighbour would be considerate & find some middle ground with them so both get time to enjoy the balcony they paid for.

Why are so many on these threads so black & white on these issues, can't we all agree to respect others that share our cruise & be willing to do what is the fairest for all?

We all love cruising, so have common ground - lets start there.;)

Several cruises ago, our immediate neighbor forward liked to smoke two cigars per day. He would stand at the barrier and literally hold the cigar on our side so we were downwind of his smoke and ashes. I asked him to stop; he said his wife didn't want him to smoke and did not like cigars, so this was how he dealt with her issues. He would not stop. I got guest services to come by the next day and they caught him in the act. They asked him to cease holding the cigar on our side of the barrier.

The next day I caught him doing it again. After sending our steward by to observe, Guest Services delivered a letter to him advising that he was banned from smoking anywhere on his balcony. His wife was very appreciative and thanked us.

My first balcony was on Freedom of the Seas. I will not go back to anything less. I love having my own personal oceanviewing place on the exterior of the ship.

So far I am 2 - 0 with nosey neighbors. In fact those I have had I've spoke with while coming into ports or departing ports and they have been very nice. Brilliance coming up is yet another balcony so we will see though I anticipate more of the same.

I see....so it makes no sense to you that such a person would book a balcony, since there is a chance they wouldn't be able to enjoy that balcony. It makes more sense that they would never book a balcony, therefore guaranteeing that they wouldn't even have a balcony to enjoy.

This just shows that you're not even trying to understand. :cool:

I see....so it makes no sense to you that such a person would book a balcony, since there is a chance they wouldn't be able to enjoy that balcony. It makes more sense that they would never book a balcony, therefore guaranteeing that they wouldn't even have a balcony to enjoy.

No, it makes more sense if, since there are other cruise lines that have no smoking on balconies at all, someone who has such an aversion/sensitivity to smoke would book a balcony on one of those cruise lines instead of trying to get smokers, on their smoke-friendly balconies, to conform to the non-smoker's desires. If it is a true health related problem, that makes it even worse in my eyes...why would someone put their own health at risk by booking on a ship that specifically allows smoking on balconies...I truly don't understand that. By the way, I am not and have never been a smoker but my DH is.

What I took away from what he said is that if you do do get a balcony and are really sensitive to cigerette smoke then you should not really do a lot of complaining when there are smokers around you. It's the chance that you took!

I think you choose to misrepresent what reasonable people are saying.

Nobody with a balcony issue is asking for their neighbours to never play music/smoke/play cards etc etc, what those that are affected by certain levels of such activities are asking, is that those who practice them don't do so on a constant basis that would mean they can't enjoy their balcony at least 50% of the time.

Most people are saying lets compromise so every one achieves a 50/50 outcome.

What's wrong with both parties having to compromise a little?

How is it OK for a smoker/music player to constantly fill their neighbours balcony with smoke/loud noise when that neighbour also paid for a balcony to enjoy the solitude & clean sea air?

Both have the right to enjoy their balcony experience, so the only fair option is that both compromise if the activities of one negatively affects the other.

That's what civilised people do where I am from.

I don't believe I have misrepresented anything. I don't think that a person who has paid for a balcony should have to go in knowing that they are going to have to compromise their enjoyment because somebody next door might not like what you do on your balcony. I guess in order to meet that 50% compromise, they should get a spreadsheet and come up with a plan and schedule times of when they are going to use the balcony, like: Day 1 - 1:00 you can have solitude and at 2:00 you can play cards...no we like our solitude time while having tea at 2:00 so can you play cards at 1:00 instead? and can you take smoke breaks at 3, 6 & 8 as those are time that I know I won't be out there....and so on and so on! But whatever....I'm through!

No, it makes more sense if, since there are other cruise lines that have no smoking on balconies at all, someone who has such an aversion/sensitivity to smoke would book a balcony on one of those cruise lines instead of trying to get smokers, on their smoke-friendly balconies, to conform to the non-smoker's desires. If it is a true health related problem, that makes it even worse in my eyes...why would someone put their own health at risk by booking on a ship that specifically allows smoking on balconies...I truly don't understand that. By the way, I am not and have never been a smoker but my DH is.

I see this ignorant argument repeatedly on the topic. Someone who is that closed-minded is not going to understand. First of all, you're talking about extremes that most people don't really claim. This, of course, is standard fair for all sorts of different arguments to try to cloud the real issue. But I'll try to give your my perspective, to see if you can put aside your rhetoric and listen to reason.

I'm a person who is very sensitive to tobacco smoke, so if there is a chain smoker next to me on a cruise, I won't be able to enjoy my balcony much. So, why not just cruise on Celebrity? Well, there are lots of reasons. Royal Caribbean tend to sail out of ports that are more convenient for us, we enjoy the overall experience of Royal Caribbean, we tend to sail with our son, and they have a great children's and youth program and tend to have more kids on board, in general, than Celebrity. So, as I said, I think ignorant is the right word for an argument that assumes, if there's one thing you don't like about a particular cruise line that your should just go to another that takes care of that one thing. It should be obvious that there are many factors that go into planning and choosing a vacation.

Now, I have sailed on RCI with balcony cabins a total of seven times. One time out of the seven, we had problems with there being an almost constant presence of smoke on the balcony. So, for that one time out of seven, there was disappointment over that particular aspect of the cruise. That did not ruin the entire cruise experience; it just made for one disappointing aspect.

The reaction to that was not to go around telling people not to smoke on their balconies. The reaction was to note on our comment card that it was a problem for us. Despite how you might want to characterize it to bolster your argument, most people do not really blame the smokers for smoking where they're allowed to do so. We blame the policy for allowing smoking in an area where it's likely to negatively affect people who don't want to be around it. I hope that will change, eventually, on all cruise lines. Smoking needs to be relegated to out of the way places, where it doesn't impact others. Society is moving that direction, and while some see it as a restriction of their freedom to smoke, others see it as freedom to enjoy life relatively free of smoke.

Archived