Balcony neighbor horror stories

My horror would be having a balcony next to former smokers.

99% of people who have never smoked do not seem to have an issue with OUTDOOR smoking as long as you aren't doing it very close to them. (i.e. smoke right near their face)

Former smokers are a whole different ballgame.

What they say:

"That smoke bothers me"

"That smoke stinks"

"I don't like the smell of smoke"

What the really mean:

"Man that smoke is tempting the hell out me. I could go for a cigarette right now. Damn you for tempting me."

:)

Agreed

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I read thru the entire thread & didn't see the way we corrected the light problem. We mentioned it to our room steward who obvious spoke to the people in the room with the light on (the morning after). Did this on 2 different cruises & the balcony lights were only on if they were out there. I didn't realize that people don't realize they could turn them on & off.

As to why not many people are not seen on the balconies - maybe they have their door open for the fresh air? One of the major reason I wanted a balcony was the ability to open the door for fresh air in case I got sea sick. We don't have it open all the time, but knowing it can be open & the ability to step outside helps a lot. The sound of the sea, sunsets, sunrises, shore views, coffee & wine sipping is all so wonderful on a balcony! 12 cruises - all balconies, I leave the patches & wrist bands at home now. Enjoy your balcony!

- Rose

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Alas, I think we ARE the horror story since we've only had one minor annoyance but have probably caused a few.

The first year we cruised, you could still smoke in the cabin. The next door neighbors were a family of four with two teens. They were often out on the balcony so we wouldn't smoke out there (yes, we're smokers) but the teenaged son bought some kind of a drum at one of the ports and persisted in "playing" it late into the night...and all freaking day. We didn't say anything because, shoot, if his parents could tolerate it, so could we so we just let it go.

The next year, smoking in the cabins was prohibited, so I made the major mistake of peeking around the partition once to see if our neighbors were outside so that I could smoke without bothering them. My neighbor was in his tighty whites standing on the balcony. He was appalled. I was humiliated. Neither of us said a word but I've learned not to do that again. Now, my husband peeks UNDER the balcony divider (when that's possible) to see if he sees feet when we go out there to smoke. If there are feet, we wait to light up. Does it look nosey? Yep, and probably a little creepy, too...but we're trying to minimize the inconvenience for our neighbors.

We also have a bad habit of striking up conversations with our neighbors when we're all at the railing. I've never thought about it bothering somebody...I figured that, in such close quarters, people expect it and even embrace the socializing (it's a cruise ship after all). But I can see how some folks might not like that...so we'll try to be more sensitive in the future.

Alas, I think we ARE the horror story since we've only had one minor annoyance but have probably caused a few.

The first year we cruised, you could still smoke in the cabin. The next door neighbors were a family of four with two teens. They were often out on the balcony so we wouldn't smoke out there (yes, we're smokers) but the teenaged son bought some kind of a drum at one of the ports and persisted in "playing" it late into the night...and all freaking day. We didn't say anything because, shoot, if his parents could tolerate it, so could we so we just let it go.

The next year, smoking in the cabins was prohibited, so I made the major mistake of peeking around the partition once to see if our neighbors were outside so that I could smoke without bothering them. My neighbor was in his tighty whites standing on the balcony. He was appalled. I was humiliated. Neither of us said a word but I've learned not to do that again. Now, my husband peeks UNDER the balcony divider (when that's possible) to see if he sees feet when we go out there to smoke. If there are feet, we wait to light up. Does it look nosey? Yep, and probably a little creepy, too...but we're trying to minimize the inconvenience for our neighbors.

We also have a bad habit of striking up conversations with our neighbors when we're all at the railing. I've never thought about it bothering somebody...I figured that, in such close quarters, people expect it and even embrace the socializing (it's a cruise ship after all). But I can see how some folks might not like that...so we'll try to be more sensitive in the future.

When I'm at the railing, if our neighbors are also, I just give a nod, or a 'Hi'. If it leads to conversation fine, if not ... that's fine too.

Peeking under? If I'm sitting you'll never see my feet. I usually have them on the table, or the rail. I hate the peek- arounders (?).

I don't care for cigarette smoke but do enjoy a nice cigar in the evening. how in the world when the ship is moving can the smoke be that much of a bother to send folks running inside?

When the ship is moving, do you feel a strong breeze sitting on your balcony? In my experience, I do not, unless I'm leaning over the railing. The air inside the balcony itself is not really moving that much, and it is quite possible to get a strong smell of cigarettes and/or cigars (which, by the way, are not allowed).

Peeking under? If I'm sitting you'll never see my feet. I usually have them on the table, or the rail. I hate the peek- arounders (?).

Learned my lesson on the peek "arounding," at somebody else's expense. So I felt pretty badly about that. The peek "undering" is an attempt to avoid smoking when our adjacent neighbors are out. But yes, we would miss the folks with their feet up.

Learned my lesson on the peek "arounding," at somebody else's expense. So I felt pretty badly about that. The peek "undering" is an attempt to avoid smoking when our adjacent neighbors are out. But yes, we would miss the folks with their feet up.

I understand why he's looking under, and it's nice of you all BTW. :)

Smoking is allowed, so unless you're out there a lot and chainsmoke, I really wouldn't worry about it.

You paid for the privilege. Until they (the cruiseline) tell you otherwise, I wouldn't feel guilty about it.

PS: We no longer smoke.

Had one of the huge wrap around balconies on HAL in Alaska. Guy on one side sat his chair up against the divider and chain smoked. Couple on the other side had noisy relations on their balcony. Two mornings in a row there were women's underwear that came under our divider.

I've had a few smokers next door but they haven't been enough to make me give up balconies.

The worst balcony experience was on Legend of the Seas. I had originally booked aft balcony 8086 the day my itinerary was first posted. A few months later when checking my reservation I noticed that my cabin had been changed to 8038, which is a mid-ship cabin. I was angry and called customer service who told me that I had been given a "free upgrade." In my opinion, switching me from an aft JS to a mid-ship JS does not constitute an upgrade, particularly since I had "no upgrades" marked on my reservation. My aft cabin had been given away by then so I got on a waiting list for another one and eventually cabin 8084, which was next door to my original cabin, opened up.

After we got onboard, I think I figured out why my original cabin had been taken away. There was a large family who wanted several aft balcony cabins next door to each other so they could open the dividers and party on the balcony. The first night onboard, we returned to our cabin around 11:30 and there was a big party next door with at least 30 people on the balcony. They had music blaring so loudly that we had to shout at each other inside our cabin with the doors closed just to be heard.

After about 15 minutes, I wanted to go to bed, and since it was almost midnight and we had a 7:30 excursion planned, I thought it was late enough that they should turn down the noise. I went next door to politely ask if they could quiet things down. The person who answered the door said he didn't speak English (I know there were at least a couple people inside who could because I had heard them speaking it) and slammed the door at me. That didn't go as well as I had hoped so I went back to my cabin and called security.

Security showed up about 10 minutes later and asked them to turn down the music. They turned it down a little. We could still hear it inside our cabin but it wasn't blaring like a dance club anymore. That lasted for about as long as it took security to leave, then they cranked it up again. I called security and asked them to come back. They returned and I'm not sure what was said, but the music stayed turned down that time.

I must have angered the neighbors by calling security on them. The next morning we found they had dumped their ashtrays and there were beer cans and bottles thrown all over our balcony.

The rest of the cruise went the same way. Almost every night we'd get back to our cabin between 11 and midnight to find a loud party next door. I didn't bother going next door to ask them to turn it down after the first attempt was such a failure. I just called security. There were a couple times that we returned later than usual and I didn't have to call security. I think someone in another cabin must have done it. Every morning we'd find our balcony had been used as their dump.

I've been the "nosey" neighbor a couple times, but not on purpose. Once we seated at the same table for dinner as the older (my parents' age) couple in the cabin next door to us. One day I was leaning on the balcony railing and spotted some dolphins swimming next to the ship. I had heard "Bob" open the door to come outside but didn't pay attention to him. I wasn't sure if he had noticed the dolphins so I turned towards him to point them out and realized that he was naked. :eek: I was so embarrassed for peeking around the divider that I went back inside and didn't want to go to dinner that night. Fortunately he and his wife had a sense of humor about it, and his wife even said she had told him several times to put a robe on before going outside.

On another cruise we had an aft cabin that had "stepped" decks similar to a Radiance class ship so you could see the decks above and below you. I was on my balcony and looked up at the decks above us. The couple in the cabin above mine were leaning against the railing on their balcony, totally naked. The lower part of the railings were plexiglass so I could see everything, especially the parts pressed against the plexiglass. No more looking up!

Love my balcony....never had problems with lights, nosey, noisy or smoking neighbors. Love the small chit chat while coming into / leaving port. I am there to enjoy my cruise as they are.....but I am sure we have drove people crazy when we had side by side rooms with the divider opened and a few of us on the balcony socializing and having a good time.

;)we always get a balcony, just wish neighbors would not leave their balcony lights on at night, as we love to sit out and enjoy the stars! The neighboring lights on ruins the beautiful view!

Unless you stare into your neighbor's light, its not going to have much effect on the stars for you. The rest of the ships lights will take care of that for you.

So far 7 balconies, no problem.

Hoping not to truly derail but

I seriously believe that many balcony cruisers have no idea the balcony lights are on or they think that it is the ships lights that stay on.

And that is why I have had to leave notes on their doors several times. I realize they sometimes have no clue the light is on, but if they are not in their cabin at night it does cramp our style, so I do not hesitate to let them know. If I was bothering someone like that, I would be more than happy to accommodate.:)

Unless you stare into your neighbor's light, its not going to have much effect on the stars for you. The rest of the ships lights will take care of that for you.

So far 7 balconies, no problem.

It's been an issue for me. Most of the ships lights are top deck or Promenade...most trips our neighbors have been considerate and you can really enjoy a dark balcony at night.

It's been an issue for me. Most of the ships lights are top deck or Promenade...most trips our neighbors have been considerate and you can really enjoy a dark balcony at night.

You are so right, Becciboo. It has been an issue for me as well a couple of times. When the neighbor's light is on it changes the whole ambience of being out on the balcony. I am sure you know what I mean. I am wondering if Bill Oh has experience both scenarios (neighbor light on and off ?) :)

Never had a bad experience with balcony neighbors. The best time I had with neighbors was on Regent and we were docked in Cancun, I believe. The ship directly across was the Carnival Magic, etc. (one of the party boats). I and my neighbors to either side had an informal "poker" game about how many of Carnival's paxs would miss the boat. There were about twenty or so staggering down the dock (some were crawling). I won with "5."

We book only balconies and other than a few smokers, we haven't ever had a problem. We haven't ever spoken about the smoking to our neighbors, because we have heard too many times about how nasty the neighbors become, so we live with it.

Also, OP, if you are doing something on your balcony that you wouldn't want others to see, then that might be another story. We have been sitting in our chairs on our balcony, but we have seen sexual things that have surprised us to say the least. The glass reflects a lot. Enough said.

Enjoy your cruise.

it might take a little over an hour to finish off a nice cigar with a nice glass of sipping rum. if a hour of my smoke blowing by at 20+/- knots is going to ruin your cruise I guess.. tough cookies.

as far a the light on the next balcony have you ever thought to politely ask if they knew their light was on?

Well said! I'm a cognac drinker myself!

Elvis

It all depends on your neighbors. some will bang the balcony door at all hours others will put speakers out on the balcony with loud music and others will have sex in the middle of the night and be drunk and loud. Inside rooms for us.

It all depends on your neighbors. some will bang the balcony door at all hours others will put speakers out on the balcony with loud music and others will have sex in the middle of the night and be drunk and loud. Inside rooms for us.

Music, Sex, and Booze...

What was the bad part again???

Just kidding. :)

Archived