Balcony neighbor horror stories

We have always had a balcony. There was only once when we had a "noise" problem. It happened a few years ago. My wife and I were on the balcony for the sail away.

A man and woman on our right came out on their balcony and began blowing on some sort of noise makers. Then some people came out on their balcony on our left and started blowing on theirs.

Then they proceeded to shout back on forth to each other in a playful way to see who could be louder!

It only happened that once, but it didn't spoil our experience. We understood their excitement. We still used our balcony often throughout that cruise.

Cruising is wonderful!

much to you younger folks surprise/dismay.. a lot of us mature folks enjoy 'it' as often if not more than the younger folks dragging kids and mum along.

I don't care for cigarette smoke but do enjoy a nice cigar in the evening. how in the world when the ship is moving can the smoke be that much of a bother to send folks running inside?

I know you enjoy it, but surely you know there are others who find the smell of cigar smoke to be pungent and/or unpleasant. Sadly, the moving air may waft the smoke in such a person's direction, rather than wafting it all off to the sea (Murphy's law?). A sensitive person may even smell the lingering smoke on their clothing later. That is likely the reason cigar smoking is restricted as per the FAQ's "Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted within the Cigar lounge. (If no Cigar lounge exists on a particular ship, there will be a designated area for pipe and cigar smoking)." My nose is not so sensitive, but I still appreciate cigar smokers following the policy.

Of all my balcony cabins, only once did smokers bother me: on a TA cruise there were four chain smokers next door to me. They seemingly spent much of the cruise smoking on their balcony. I was downwind, and betwen the four of them, they produced a fair bit of smoke. Even then, their very loud voices and painful-sounding coughs were as likely to drive me inside as was the smoke. Of course, they were well within the rules, and I suspect the smoking and socializing were major parts of the cruise experience for them. So without a word to them I simply found other spots to enjoy the fresh ocean air.

My horror would be having a balcony next to former smokers.

99% of people who have never smoked do not seem to have an issue with OUTDOOR smoking as long as you aren't doing it very close to them. (i.e. smoke right near their face)

Former smokers are a whole different ballgame.

What they say:

"That smoke bothers me"

"That smoke stinks"

"I don't like the smell of smoke"

What the really mean:

"Man that smoke is tempting the hell out me. I could go for a cigarette right now. Damn you for tempting me."

:)

As to the second part. .....Ya got me , but I am sure one of the sufferers will be around to tell you exactly how that cigar has ruined their vacations and forced them to never get a balcony again. :)

Didnt ruin our vacation but it did ruin our balcony time............guy next to us smoking his cigar......WHICH by the way is NOT allowed on balconies...only certain areas on the ship.:rolleyes:

We've had 3 balconies with over 20-something cruises. We did not use the balcony enough to justify spending the additional money. So, we usually book an inside cabin, and go to the Viking Crown where we can watch both sides of the ocean as well as the pool. Others won't cruise without a balcony. But, as my dad used to say, "That's what makes horse races." (referring to differences of opinion.)

I suspect OP will really enjoy a Grand Suite, along with its perks.

I have gone on quite a few cruises but had a balcony only once. After that I never booked another balcony because I felt that I did not spend much time out there. Well for my birthday in January I have treated myself to a GS. I plan to spend quite a bit of time relaxing in my suite and on the balcony. Recently I was reading a post where someone stated that they stopped booking balcony staterooms because of the nosey neighbors. Is this common? What have your experiences been?

4 balconies and no problems at all.

We've had smokers, and noisy neighbors. It always seemed that if the smoker wasn't there, the noisy people on the other side were, and vice versa. There never seemed a time when we could enjoy fresh air and quiet time.

It's hit or miss, however, and I wouldn't let it stop you. We've had nice balconies too with considerate neighbors, so don't expect the worst.

Didnt ruin our vacation but it did ruin our balcony time............guy next to us smoking his cigar......WHICH by the way is NOT allowed on balconies...only certain areas on the ship.:rolleyes:

Depending which ship you are on. Not all cruise lines prohibit smoking on their balconies. If that cigar smoker was in fact smoking in a non smoking area , you should have reported him.

it might take a little over an hour to finish off a nice cigar with a nice glass of sipping rum. if a hour of my smoke blowing by at 20+/- knots is going to ruin your cruise I guess.. tough cookies.

as far a the light on the next balcony have you ever thought to politely ask if they knew their light was on?

Only issue we have ever had with a balcony stateroom is being downwind of smokers. My wife and I are former smokers (me 1Apr95 and her about 7 years later) and the stench now bothers both of us. When there is no one taking a smoke break, balconies are the way to go.

Just got off the Freedom and had minimal use of our balcony due to heavy smokers. I have never smoked- my husband is a former and maybe even more intolerant than me. We had everything from cigarettes to cigars and marijuana! I love have my room service breakfast on my balcony- but not this time. The smoke came right to our balcony and if our cabin door was opened at all right inside. I am a nurse and many people have heath issues that cannot tolerate this, I love my balcony- but sure wish RCI would make one side of the ships balconies smoke free. BTW we always look balconies.

Smoking is allowed on balconies,it doesn't specify what?

It does but many people dont abide by it Im sure.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=3101&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted within the Cigar lounge. (If no Cigar lounge exists on a particular ship, there will be a designated area for pipe and cigar smoking).

Depending which ship you are on. Not all cruise lines prohibit smoking on their balconies. If that cigar smoker was in fact smoking in a non smoking area , you should have reported him.

Considering this is on a RCCL board,didn't think I had to add the fact that every RCCL is like that.........and yes,I did report him....took 3 days to do something about it.....

it might take a little over an hour to finish off a nice cigar with a nice glass of sipping rum. if a hour of my smoke blowing by at 20+/- knots is going to ruin your cruise I guess.. tough cookies.

Gonna have to smoke that cigar elsewhere while on a RCCL ship.

Considering this is on a RCCL board,didn't think I had to add the fact that every RCCL is like that.........and yes,I did report him....took 3 days to do something about it.....

Gonna have to smoke that cigar elsewhere while on a RCCL ship.

exactly what did they do about it?

I wouldn't bet on it..

We have always had balcony and have never had a problem of any kind with our neighbors...except a single incident on our last cruise...the 2nd leg of a b2b so we had been on the ship for the previous week. We walked into our room mid-afternoon just in time to see one of our balcony chairs disappearing onto the balcony to our left. I couldn't believe it. The dude actually stole one of the chairs from our balcony! My hubby immediately went out and leaned over and said "we're gonna need that chair back". The guy tried to deny that he took it but the chair had clips on the back of it where I had clipped a bathing suit to dry...and there was the fact that we SAW the chair disappearing around the balcony divider!! He gave it back but never even apologized. Strangest thing that has ever happened to us on a cruise.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, smoking is probably our most common problem with balconies. We also had a man on one cruise with an extended balcony below us that would frequently stand on his balcony completely naked. On another cruise, the elderly gentleman in the cabin next to us had an "accident' on the balcony. I assume he wasn't wearing underwear because when his wife washed the poop off their balcony floor, it settled in the metal ridge at the edge of our balcony. None of this has stopped us from booking a balcony though.

Only issue we have ever had with a balcony stateroom is being downwind of smokers. My wife and I are former smokers (me 1Apr95 and her about 7 years later) and the stench now bothers both of us. When there is no one taking a smoke break, balconies are the way to go.

I've never had a noisy neighbor. Yes....if you are carrying on a conversation on the balcony, it can be heard, but unless they are "whooping it up" and shouting, it really shouldn't annoy you. It's no different than someone conversing on an airplane or train or whatever.

Luckily, we've never had anyone near us to use their balcony lights....the light really isn't needed!

Even smokers haven't bothered us....any smoke blows away pretty fast, especially when the ship is underway.

For once, I have to agree with cb !!!:eek:;) We have had a very similar experience with all of our balcony cabins (20-something). No major problems at all. I love my balcony!!:D

RCI isnt gonna enforce the no cigar rule on balconies no more than they will enforce the dress code.

As an ex cigarette smoker of 25 years that still enjoys a fine cigar or two a year, I would much rather smell cigar smoke anyway. Cigarette smoke is repulsive and makes me want to gag but I can tolerate and even enjoy the smell of a good cigar or pipe tobacco. No worries though because I dont book balconies!

What is the problem that people have with cigars on balconies? is it that it takes too long to smoke one?

I had some neighbors who decided that it was absolutely funny to have a farting contest one afternoon.

Another neighbor decided they wanted to feed the sea gulls. I did not want to get poo'd on so I ducked into my cabin quickly.

THAT is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here !!! LOLOL!

Archived