Balcony neighbor horror stories

Oh my, give up our aft-facing balcony? DH would file for divorce!

Once a cigar smoker got on our nerves. That first night I was all prepared to shout something, but didn't. Good thing. He was a good friend if our MDR table folks. Small world. They eventually found their way to the smoking lounge and all was solved.

Our next cruise we snagged. 1100 on the Radiance....a corner. Our next door neighbors on the other side.....are wait listed for our room!!!!!!! Met them on our Roll Call.

Give up our balcony? Not in MY lifetime. We have had surprisingly little trouble and we live on our balcony.

Well as far as I am concerned it looks like I will not be a problem balcony neighbor:

-I do not smoke...anything

-do not belong to the balcony club but if I decide to join will be very quiet

-I will not leave my balcony light on at night

-I will not peek at my neighbors balcony

-I will not play loud music

-I will not drag my chair

-I will not join in on my balcony neighbors conversation unless invited

-I will not have any loud parties

-I will not reach across and steal my neighbors chair

-If I eat any gassy foods I will make every attempt to keep flatulence to a minimum or do so quietly :p

Heck...What will I do for fun? maybe I should stay home! :D NOT!!!!!

Did I miss anything?

Well as far as I am concerned it looks like I will not be a problem balcony neighbor:

-If I eat any gassy foods I will make every attempt to keep flatulence to a minimum or do so quietly :p

Did I miss anything?

Are you kidding?!?!?! You missed the part where you promise not to poop on the deck! ;)

We have always book balcony cabins with the exception of booking an inside across the hall for the kids on a few cruises. Our most difficult balcony problem was on my parents 50th wedding anniversary cruise on the Freedom a couple of years ago. We had 4 cabins in a row with balconies and 1 kids inside room across the hall. 12 of us with the kids and my parents. My parents renewed their vows with me as best man and my sister as maid of honor with our kids standing as the party. Was very cool.

We opened the dividers so we could all enjoy the balcony time together. The neighbor next to my sister and BIL was a wicked woman. She never once said anything to us about being too noisy. Actually was friendly in the hallway early in the week but every friggin' night, she would call in and have someone come knock on our door and tell us to quiet down. It was 8 or 9 pm!! Not, 3 am! We got to know the security guys and they thought she was goofy but had to log a visit to our cabins. We were not out of line, simply my parents, my sister and I my wife, kids, etc. sitting out and chatting or laughing etc. No screaming, no music, sitting in chairs talking. If I had the balcony door closed, I didn't hear them at all.

So now the REAL killer part of the story. We are all in Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel sitting at a table eating lunch. My mom has her great grand daughter on her lap. This same crazy b**** of a woman had the balls to walk up to my mom and tell her she had horrible children and she should have done a better job raising them!!! I did not know what happened until that insane woman and her husband had already walked out of CandC. I was REALLY PISSED OFF!! My mom was in tears. After that, we returned to the ship and we didn't see the nut job or her weak excuse of a husband until the next morning when I met up with him in the hall. I took that chance to calmly express my extreme displeasure with the actions of his wife. He made some excuse about her being on meds, how this was to be a quiet get away for her, etc. He indicated she was overly sensitive to noise and things just had not worked out as he had hoped. I told him our trip didn't work out as planned either because his wife had ruined what could have been a very special trip for my parents. He was surely NOT the one wearing the pants in that relationship.

Now for the REALLY DUH moment for this husband....He got a group rate on their cabin as he had booked the cruise through Hogs on the High Seas!!! Yes, that's right, they were part of THAT group and complained about US being the noisy ones....what was he thinking it would be like? A ship full of monks?

We did have a good time and we did make some great memories with all 12 of us together in spite of the crazy lady next to us. Get the balcony, enjoy it.

Wow Kevin, that was a nightmare. I'm no spring chicken but I CERTAINLY would never complain at 9pm at night about noise. (maybe 2 or 3am yes) I'm glad you had a chance to express (calmly) to her husband. She sounded very inappropriate at the time.

I can honestly say that in all the cruises we've taken, I can say we've never had any "balcony neighbors from well you know where". We've been very fortunate. We have had some that would even say hello but that's ok, it's their problem not ours and we had a fabulous time. The thing that always gets my hubby and I are all of the unhappy couples we see on cruises. On one of our Liberty cruises a few years back, I had to call security because a couple got into a shouting then physical match in their cabin that spilled into the hallway. (YIKES!!) This was 3pm in the afternoon. The sad part was the little 9 year old daughter with them. I felt so bad for her. :(

We have always book balcony cabins with the exception of booking an inside across the hall for the kids on a few cruises. Our most difficult balcony problem was on my parents 50th wedding anniversary cruise on the Freedom a couple of years ago. We had 4 cabins in a row with balconies and 1 kids inside room across the hall. 12 of us with the kids and my parents. My parents renewed their vows with me as best man and my sister as maid of honor with our kids standing as the party. Was very cool.

We opened the dividers so we could all enjoy the balcony time together. The neighbor next to my sister and BIL was a wicked woman. She never once said anything to us about being too noisy. Actually was friendly in the hallway early in the week but every friggin' night, she would call in and have someone come knock on our door and tell us to quiet down. It was 8 or 9 pm!! Not, 3 am! We got to know the security guys and they thought she was goofy but had to log a visit to our cabins. We were not out of line, simply my parents, my sister and I my wife, kids, etc. sitting out and chatting or laughing etc. No screaming, no music, sitting in chairs talking. If I had the balcony door closed, I didn't hear them at all.

So now the REAL killer part of the story. We are all in Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel sitting at a table eating lunch. My mom has her great grand daughter on her lap. This same crazy b**** of a woman had the balls to walk up to my mom and tell her she had horrible children and she should have done a better job raising them!!! I did not know what happened until that insane woman and her husband had already walked out of CandC. I was REALLY PISSED OFF!! My mom was in tears. After that, we returned to the ship and we didn't see the nut job or her weak excuse of a husband until the next morning when I met up with him in the hall. I took that chance to calmly express my extreme displeasure with the actions of his wife. He made some excuse about her being on meds, how this was to be a quiet get away for her, etc. He indicated she was overly sensitive to noise and things just had not worked out as he had hoped. I told him our trip didn't work out as planned either because his wife had ruined what could have been a very special trip for my parents. He was surely NOT the one wearing the pants in that relationship.

Now for the REALLY DUH moment for this husband....He got a group rate on their cabin as he had booked the cruise through Hogs on the High Seas!!! Yes, that's right, they were part of THAT group and complained about US being the noisy ones....what was he thinking it would be like? A ship full of monks?

We did have a good time and we did make some great memories with all 12 of us together in spite of the crazy lady next to us. Get the balcony, enjoy it.

Your trip and the occasion sounds as if it was a beautiful and memorable trip. I'm sure the renewal pictures were priceless.

In my first apartment as a newlywed I had a downstairs neighbor who would come upstairs or complain about noise if I literally got out of bed and walked across the floor (No children, no shoes and not overweight). If I had guests he would literally run upstairs as they were leaving and confront them. We finally got carpet which made no difference as he went to the management office and reported us. We finally decided to move out after the years lease was up. So, yes there are those who think the world should revolve around them and their "sensitive conditions".

Your trip and the occasion sounds as if it was a beautiful and memorable trip. I'm sure the renewal pictures were priceless.

In my first apartment as a newlywed I had a downstairs neighbor who would come upstairs or complain about noise if I literally got out of bed and walked across the floor (No children' date=' no shoes and not overweight). If I had guests he would literally run upstairs as they were leaving and confront them. We finally got carpet which made no difference as he went to the management office and reported us. We finally decided to move out after the years lease was up. So, yes there are those who think the world should revolve around them and their "sensitive conditions".[/quote']

I am not sure I have a "sensitive condition", but I often found upstairs neighbor's noise unpleasant. So, I when I rented, I sought the top floor or a townhouse or such to avaoid upstairs neighbors. I certainly did not complain when they walked across their rooms.

Had a balcony on all our cruises.. Had one bad experience (still a great cruise) and one just kind of annoying.

The first was a chain smoking lady and her cigar smoking husband that I think decided to spend all of their time on the balcony.. The first 3 days we would check to see if they were out there before going out. Never got more then a few minutes before they would be back out. I mentioned something to our room steward and he reported them to security. The steward thought they were smoking in the room too.

I heard them on day 4 complaining because the got a written letter to stop smoking in the cabin.. Turns out the folks on the other side complained too.

Second time we had a nice family with young kids that were constantly looking around the divider to talk. It was ok until they asked us not to drink in front of their kids...

Hubby told them don't look then because we are going to enjoy cocktails on our balcony..

Did I miss anything?

Pushing your dirty room-service dishes under the divider onto the next balcony.

Using the neighbor's balcony as your landfill for beer cans and cigarette ashes.

Tucker in Texas

Music player on the balcony table playing loudly and the couple in the cabin. That only lasted for the first 30 minutes of that cruise once the other cabins called in complaints.

Father next door louder than the kiddos. Young kiddo crying constantly every time they were in their cabin. Then father held loud conversations over the railing with Grandpa two decks below.

I am not sure I have a "sensitive condition", but I often found upstairs neighbor's noise unpleasant. So, I when I rented, I sought the top floor or a townhouse or such to avaoid upstairs neighbors. I certainly did not complain when they walked across their rooms.

Getting the top floor is definitely a way to make sure that you don't hear noise from above. I didn't even mention that we both work full time and I was also going to school full time. So we were out of the house most of the day from 6AM until about 10:30 PM.

Music player on the balcony table playing loudly and the couple in the cabin. That only lasted for the first 30 minutes of that cruise once the other cabins called in complaints.

Father next door louder than the kiddos. Young kiddo crying constantly every time they were in their cabin. Then father held loud conversations over the railing with Grandpa two decks below.

-I will remember to bring my ipod with headphones or only listen to music quietly within my cabin with the balcony door shut.

-I will remember not to sneeze

-I will remember not to litter my neighbors balcony as retaliation for reporting me

-I will remember to go inside when I have the slightest symptom of the bubble guts so as not to have an unpleasant accident on the balcony

-I will not push my room service dishes under the balcony partition.

-I will not talk or shout at to my neighbors or relatives on other decks.

-I will leave my children home:D

Getting the top floor is definitely a way to make sure that you don't hear noise from above. I didn't even mention that we both work full time and I was also going to school full time. So we were out of the house most of the day from 6AM until about 10:30 PM.

I wonder who moved in next?:eek: You sound like good neighbors, and by driving you away, he might well have gotten somebody louder, somebody home more, somebody with unruly children or loud pets, etc.

really almost all of my balcony neighbors have been fine. and on a ship I've never heard too much noise from a cabin above (sometimes some noise from a public area above, but not from a cabin)

I wonder who moved in next?:eek: You sound like good neighbors, and by driving you away, he might well have gotten somebody louder, somebody home more, somebody with unruly children or loud pets, etc.

That was many years ago but I never thought of it like that...It actually puts a smile on my face:D.

In my first apartment as a newlywed I had a downstairs neighbor who would come upstairs or complain about noise if I literally got out of bed and walked across the floor (No children' date=' no shoes and not overweight). If I had guests he would literally run upstairs as they were leaving and confront them. We finally got carpet which made no difference as he went to the management office and reported us. We finally decided to move out after the years lease was up. So, yes there are those who think the world should revolve around them and their "sensitive conditions".[/quote']

After my divorce I moved into a condo complex . I had the pleasure of being right next door to the "Supreme High Executioner of all Condo Association Rules and By laws" :)

This whiny little thing, he reminded me of Ed Koch the former mayor of New York.

He used to ride around the grounds on his big adult tricycle with a pad of post it notes writing down "Infractions" (real or made up in his mind ) and leave them on peoples doors.

When I finally met my current wife and we bought a house for us and our kids to move into , The first house I fell in love with was on a large lot with my nearest neighbor 2 full lots away from me at the end of a dead end .

We loved the house too of course , but the location was the deal cincher.

Sometimes the best "Good Neighbor Policy" is a NO Neighbor policy :)

On our Oasis cruise last month, we were between 2 families with teens who were traveling together. One day, we returned from the port to relax on our balcony, opened the balcony door and there was loud music playing next door. I made them aware we were there, and they turned it off without us saying anything,thankfully. I can never understand why people think it is OK to play their own music without earbuds when others are in close proximity. Had that happen at the pool as well one day.

Another afternoon, I was sitting on my balcony and I could tell that the teens were out on both sides of us. All of as sudden a WET "something" ?washcloth, maybe? was pummeled across our balcony to the kid on the other side! Really??? The one kid sheepishly apologized when he realized I was sitting there.

Even tho' they didn't really talk back and forth over our balcony, I kind of felt like an intruder.

As with the smoking, it is always a crapshoot who your neighbors are.

I've only had one balcony (2nd coming up in Jan!). It took us 4 days of the cruise to figure out there was a switch to turn off the light! So sorry to my neighbors! We really didn't know you could turn it off or I would have asked, but then noticed on the 4th day that it was suddenly "off", that made me look for the light.

It is amazing, nearly 13 years on CC and I didn't know that detail! Although I probably stayed away from "balcony" threads. Now I know!

Our first time in a balcony ( 2nd cruise), I am sure I didn't know about the switch and left it on or our room steward turned it off at night. By the 3rd cruise and wanting to sit out on the balcony before going to bed I found the switch and turned the light off so I could see that stars at night.

Archived