Smart Casual on Explorer?

I sailed on 6/12 and though it was noted on the website...there was NO smart casual....only 5 casual and 2 formal....we were on a 7 night cruise....i was however surprised at how "dressed up" many people were for casual nights...I wore a dress or a skirt with heels every night and fit in just fine.

We were on Explorer 6/12-6/19. Two formal nights, the rest were listed as "casual." Most people dressed nicely on the casual nights - slacks or dresses for the women, khaki's and nice shirts for the men.

Portofino's is still "smart casual" - nicer dresses or slacks for the ladies, jackets for the gents.

By the way, it seems that most people err on the side of being just a bit dressier. When I think about it, I have NEVER seen someone on a cruise and thought "that person is overdressed." Whereas I have seen folks who stood out because they weren't dressed up enough.

So personally, in the dining room, I'd dress just a little nicer. It makes the meal seem that much more special, and removes all doubt about whether the attire is appropriate.

Archived