16 year old ID on the Dawn

Netnurse31

My son is 16 and he will be travelling with us on the Dawn in August. I read on the NCL web site that they require a state issued ID for ages 16 and above. Problem is he doesn't have his drivers license yet. Has anyone used a school ID for a minor aged 16-18? I'm thinking of taking him to get a state ID at motor vehicles but I'd rather avoid it if possible.

My son is 16 and he will be travelling with us on the Dawn in August. I read on the NCL web site that they require a state issued ID for ages 16 and above. Problem is he doesn't have his drivers license yet. Has anyone used a school ID for a minor aged 16-18? I'm thinking of taking him to get a state ID at motor vehicles but I'd rather avoid it if possible.

as long as it is a public and not a private school it meets the needs if it is a picture id but getting the non-drivers id at DMV outside NYCity is a snap.But you better hurry cause it takes 4-6 weeks to get it back from Albany.

I just want to comment that we're bringing three 16 yr olds and three 17 yr olds and all of them are going to have passports when we depart. It'll be much safer - if there is some sort of medical emergency when out of the US you don't want any sort of slowdown or question at all in the kid being brought back to the US via plane. A passport is always accepted everywhere. Other forms will be questioned and maybe not accepted.

Passports last 10 years, and many kids travel during or after college, so it's a great investment.

Hi Netnurse31,

I will be sailing with my 16 year old daughter on the Dawn on August 14. She has a passport, but the first time she cruised with us, I brought her to CT DMV and they issued her a non-drivers license ID right on the spot. The school ID would probably be fine, but the DMV ID worked great.

Good luck!

I had the same concern, my daughter is 16 and her school ID only has picture and school info, no physical description...so off to our DMV. I was told they do not do them try our township. Well, before I headed out on a wild goose chase I gave NCL a call...and they informed me school ID and birth certificate is fine because she is travelling with her parents. If travelling with say aunt, friend, etc. a more descriptive ID would be required.

The original poster lives in NY state. Unfortunately they can't get a NJ or CT DMV id. They are sent out by Albany(NY) in 5 weeks or less. I original said 4-6 but I have been informed that Albany promises them in less than 5 weeks.

Here's the link for passports for minors (under age 14). http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Those passports are only good for 5 years (not 10 as other passports).

Since 9/11 the requirements have become so stringent we've always used a passport for our daughter (age 14).

I was on an NCL Hawaiian cruise where parents of an infant were delayed (at their own expense) in Honolulu until they could get a passport for their baby. They had the birth certificate but NCL would not take it. They had to get a "rushed" passport in Honolulu and take a flight to the next port of call - and they had to pay for it.

I don't know what would have happened if the cruise originated from a city where there wasn't a passport office.

I'd be sure to check with NCL, and get it in writing, what the requirements are.

You also need to check with the requirements of the ports of call you will be visiting. For instance, some Caribbean countries, who used to just accept a photo i.d. and birth cert., now require passports from U.S. Citizens before you can even step foot on their island, even on a simple one day port of call. I for one would never even think about leaving the U.S. without a valid passport. One never knows what might happen when travelling, and I feel more secure having my passport as proof of citizenship in case the unthinkable happens. Same for my children. Anyone under 18 will receive a 5 year passport. All others are good for 10 years. In my book, it's certainly worth the $$ for piece of mind while travelling.

Archived