Need hotel room for 4 in Panthenon Area

kimkencruzers

Interesting.. I haven't gotten that far in my planning but I do plan on taking the train to Citivavecchia. I might consider Bollo Apartments but lets say I stayed in Albergo cesari which is in-between the two train stations, should I take a cab to San Pietro instead of Termini? Does it have a more direct route to Civittivecchia?

The train leaves Termini and stops at Ostiense and then San Pietro before heading to Civitavecchia. So San Pietro is on the way, saves maybe 15 minutes travel time.

The station at Termini is huge, somewhat confusing, and the Civi trains leave about 300 yards away from the main part of the station.

The Roma San Pietro station is small, just a couple of tracks. You MAY have to carry your luggage down a set of stairs, under the tracks, and back up the other side (also may have to do in Civi) but if you can handle that, it's MUCH easier to navigate than Termini. If you travel in the middle of the day, you are almost certain to get a seat. Keep an eye on your luggage--DH or I usually go stand by the luggage rack at each stop 'just in case'.

The train leaves Termini and stops at Ostiense and then San Pietro before heading to Civitavecchia. So San Pietro is on the way, saves maybe 15 minutes travel time.

The station at Termini is huge, somewhat confusing, and the Civi trains leave about 300 yards away from the main part of the station.

The Roma San Pietro station is small, just a couple of tracks. You MAY have to carry your luggage down a set of stairs, under the tracks, and back up the other side (also may have to do in Civi) but if you can handle that, it's MUCH easier to navigate than Termini. If you travel in the middle of the day, you are almost certain to get a seat. Keep an eye on your luggage--DH or I usually go stand by the luggage rack at each stop 'just in case'.

Thanks! can you reserve a first or second class seat from this point?.. I can't deal with the stress of not having a seat :)

Ok, Cesari got back to me and verifies that there is indeed free wifi and about 18 euro in taxes. So now the question is:

Keeping in mind i only have about 30 hours in Rome, Do I stay at Albergo Cesari in Panthenon area for approx. $257/wifi, breakfast or Bollo aprtments in campo de fiore area for approx $161/no breakfast? They both seem to be equidistant to the Panthenon on google maps.

Thanks for your input

Ok, Cesari got back to me and verifies that there is indeed free wifi and about 18 euro in taxes. So now the question is:

Keeping in mind i only have about 30 hours in Rome, Do I stay at Albergo Cesari in Panthenon area for approx. $257/wifi, breakfast or Bollo aprtments in campo de fiore area for approx $161/no breakfast? They both seem to be equidistant to the Panthenon on google maps.

Thanks for your input

For just one night id take the hotel

I'm gonna chime in here....... while I haven't stayed at either place (I have walked by the Caesari numerous times) I will say that in Rome (as well as anywhere else in Europe) if you go too cheap you will be disappointed. Europe is expensive !! and if you try to cut it too much you will get an inferior experience. As for the actual areas - Pantheon is better (more central) but Campo di Fiori is good too. As a side note: you could easily spend $10 per person for breakfast in Rome so there's $40. right there. I would also go for the hotel......

There is a saying here on CC when traveling to Europe:

" take half the clothes and twice the cash " Its good advice ;)

Thanks for your input

Depends somewhat on your own plans and preferences. The Albergo Cesari is about equidistant from the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain and in a very nice area for evening strolling and restaurant choices. Breakfast included is a plus; be aware that breakfast as an "eating out" meal is virtually nonexistent in Rome outside hotels, Italians generally just have a coffee and a roll in the morning.

I looked at the location for the Bollo Apartments and it also seems well situated although I'm not as familiar with the specific area as I am with the area around the Cesari. Being near Campo di Fiori, you'd also have plenty of restaurants. It's farther from Trevi but perhaps slightly closer to the Vatican. And from either place it would be easy to walk to the Colosseum/Forum area.

One other thing to consider -- if you are in an apartment, you may have to wait for someone to come and check you out the next day. In an hotel, you can check out whenever and they will also store your bags for you if you want to do something else before heading to the ship.

I agree a hotel for one night is the way to go.. I want someone at the front desk all the time. Of course, the more I look, the more I see..

Hotel Regno? $237 plus tax/breakfast/wifi What I like about this hotel is that is has a balcony

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd update on our experience, since folks are probably looking to stay in Rome this summer (& I don't think I ever reported back after our stay!).

We had an ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL experience at Albergo Cesari. The quad room was sufficiently big for my husband, myself & our 2 teenage sons. The air conditioning was great, and kept us comfortable in the hot Roman summer weather. The front desk was very helpful and had great dinner recommendations nearby. They kept our luggage for us (free of charge) while we went for one night to visit relatives in Molise. Breakfast was in a lovely, rooftop setting, and was very nice. The central location cannot be beat, especially at their very reasonable price (reasonable by Rome standards).

Needless to say, Albergo Cesari will be our go-to hotel any time we visit Rome.

Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions.

Beverly

Edited by NickAndysMom
spelling error