WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

There is a difference between salary and guaranteed minimum pay. The guaranteed minimum whether you tip or not tends to be 2 1/2 to 3 times the salary. Those who work hard, have larger stations, have the ability to earn more if they don't have all cheapos assigned to sit at their stations. Sorry , but they aren't pooling and sharing their tips with those who have smaller stations. Only the salary and guaranteed wage is equal. Tips earned over those amounts are not shared.

And for the record, crew has been recently been give a 2% raise of the guaranteed minimum - not the base salary.

After what I have learned recently, I am no longer concerned about the auto-gratuity program. I'll have more frequent flier miles and can give extra to those I choose, knowing they will in fact keep the extra and not share it. Unless of course they have agreed to share tips such as multiple bartenders in an overflow concierge lounge. And in this case they are not sharing those tips with bartenders in other lounges.

There is too much worrying about nothing here.

Let your conscience be your guide. There always has been, and will continue to be, those without a conscience. ;)

There is too much worrying about nothing here.

Let your conscience be your guide. There always has been, and will continue to be, those without a conscience. ;)

These last two paragraphs you wrote are good. I agree with both of them.

I can't believe how far this thread how gotten. Honestly before I used to put a lot of input into this topic, but lately I think it is just a personal thing. Some people tip more than others, and some don't even tip. You would never see me doing that, but that does not mean that there some that do it.

Different folks, different strokes :D

I can't believe how far this thread how gotten. Honestly before I used to put a lot of input into this topic, but lately I think it is just a personal thing. Some people tip more than others, and some don't even tip. You would never see me doing that, but that does not mean that there some that do it.

Different folks, different strokes :D

Different Strokes was ome of Americans best comedy sitcoms ever!

A tip is for a personal service rendered. Not for someone just doing a job like cleaning or managing. Those jobs are paid at a higher rate then someone who works at a tipped position. I work as a bellman and do not expect a tip from someone who carries his own bags. I also do not wish to share my tips with my manager or dispatcher who are paid 3 to 5 times the hourly rate that I am. I also do not want to share my tips with the other bellmen who hide in luggage room because they are too lazy to do their jobs. When I render a personal service to you by saving you the time and effort of taking your luggage to your room, then I appreciate an appropriate tip. I believe most people in a tipped position feel the same as I do so I have my automatic gratuities removed and I tip in cash.

Redgem.....great post. This confirms what I have been thinking......

It is good to hear that you remove and tip in cash. You clearly understand the meaning of tipping and exactly how it works in practice.

As an ex cab driver I also understand that tipped workers tend to tip well. They get it!

So you are also clearly not a stiffer or cheapskate. This goes some way to countering the argument that all those who remove their tips are cheapskates!

This argument is often raised here........

It would be interesting to get a post from an RCI employee with their views.....I don't suppose we ever will.

A tip is for a personal service rendered. Not for someone just doing a job like cleaning or managing. Those jobs are paid at a higher rate then someone who works at a tipped position. I work as a bellman and do not expect a tip from someone who carries his own bags. I also do not wish to share my tips with my manager or dispatcher who are paid 3 to 5 times the hourly rate that I am. I also do not want to share my tips with the other bellmen who hide in luggage room because they are too lazy to do their jobs. When I render a personal service to you by saving you the time and effort of taking your luggage to your room, then I appreciate an appropriate tip. I believe most people in a tipped position feel the same as I do so I have my automatic gratuities removed and I tip in cash.

I agree totally with what you have said here. However, I have chosen to leave my gratuities prepaid.... not because I I don't want to tip cash, but for the practicalities and my TA has provided a discount on the gratuities. On my last cruise, I gave a box of chocolates to the waiter who served me as a token of thanks. I know cash is king, but my budget was limited as I was doing a b2b. On the cruise coming up, I have prepaid. However, if I have any spare cash, I may tip extra if I get the service that deserves it. I don't plan to remove the gratuity unless it is warranted.

I guess I'm in the minority - I don't care how it works. I do the prepaid gratuities and stop worrying about it.

I don't ask my local waitress how the tips in the restaurant are split and I wouldn't dream of asking my waiter on the cruise ship the same question.

I just consider the prepaid gratuities part of my fare and I go on vacation. :cool:

At this point we agree with you, i don't like what Royal Caribbean is doing with the so called tips which is a service charge.I will prepay the service charge,enjoy my cruise and not think about any further tipping. :)

When tipping, we also prefer to tip cash. Out to dinner, we charge the meal, tip cash. I am someone who works on a non-hourly paid basis. I work commission and for tips only. I tip cash because that's how I prefer to be tipped.

Seems common....those who work for tips, seem to tip in cash.

When tipping, we also prefer to tip cash. Out to dinner, we charge the meal, tip cash. I am someone who works on a non-hourly paid basis. I work commission and for tips only. I tip cash because that's how I prefer to be tipped.

Seems common....those who work for tips, seem to tip in cash.

Most people I've know what preferred to receive cash tips felt that way, because they liked to cheat on their taxes.

Most people I've know what preferred to receive cash tips felt that way, because they liked to cheat on their taxes.

If US law permits the non taxation of tips, it isn't cheating. If you have a problem with tax cheats / avoiders, I would suggest chasing the corporates rather than the waiters and wsitresses.

Edited by novicetraveller

Wow. Such a sweeping generalisation. Normally so logical and considered Interesting use of the word because........

Because they liked to cheat on their taxes.......you must be a tax accountant to know that.....and therefore complicit too!

Wow. Such a sweeping generalisation. Normally so logical and considered Interesting use of the word because........

Because they liked to cheat on their taxes.......you must be a tax accountant to know that.....and therefore complicit too!

It's not a sweeping generalization. It's a comment about people that I personally know. If you want to generalize it to others, that's your business.

If US law permits the non taxation of tips, it isn't cheating. If you have a problem with tax cheats / avoiders, I would suggest chasing the corporates rather than the waiters and wsitresses.

Tips are considered taxable income in the US.

Yes, taxes are a consideration, some pay the full amount and some do not. But that is not the primary consideration for me. My company pays me less per hour because I can earn tips, so I consider that part of my pay to support my family and I do not wish to share it with the others who are making more or working less. I do not know for a fact if it is the same on the cruise ships but I would assume it is. If you pay the automatic tips, it goes to many people who may not have given you a personal service. I understand how some like the idea because it is much easier to just have it charged to your credit card than to have to decide weather you received exceptional service and should leave something extra. Tipping can be uncomfortable. You do not wish to cheap your server but you do have a budget. Whatever way you choose, weather it is the easy automatic way or the way that takes a little more thought, please just try to be fair.

Redgem, RCI employees have to contribute to the tip pool whether or not you pay in cash. At least for stateroom attendants, they assume that 80% of passengers tip and deduct accordingly from their paychecks.

Why jump to the conclusion that everyone who has pre paid gratuities removed does it to avoid paying any tips? We had ours removed from our Sea Pass on our recent cruise because we preferred to give the cash directly to the crew members who had served us personally. They got the recommended tips plus a little extra.

Exactly this! I prefer to give the funds directly to the people. I have no idea how quickly RCCL pays their staff (holding the funds in the bank earns RCCL interest; over 1000's of staff people, thats a decent sum of money). I have heard of restaurants subtracting the credit card fees from wait staff tips, and I know that the people who work on ships are not paid huge sums of money. This way the workers get their full gratuities immediately rather than whenever RCCL decides to pay up...

Redgem, RCI employees have to contribute to the tip pool whether or not you pay in cash. At least for stateroom attendants, they assume that 80% of passengers tip and deduct accordingly from their paychecks.

I am just curious. What do they do with the money they deduct? And if you tip in cash, how do they know how much to deduct?

I am just curious. What do they do with the money they deduct? And if you tip in cash, how do they know how much to deduct?

Supposedly, some of the collected money goes to other crew that help with housekeeping.

Exactly this! I prefer to give the funds directly to the people. I have no idea how quickly RCCL pays their staff (holding the funds in the bank earns RCCL interest; over 1000's of staff people, thats a decent sum of money). I have heard of restaurants subtracting the credit card fees from wait staff tips, and I know that the people who work on ships are not paid huge sums of money. This way the workers get their full gratuities immediately rather than whenever RCCL decides to pay up...

It seems fair to me that the restaurant should not have to pay credit card costs. I always leave extra when I charge tips for that reason?

Tom

They deduct $1 per person per day for 80% of the passengers in each employee's section regardless of how much they tipped. That money goes to the laundry workers and the various assistants and runners that help on embarkation day (the attendants used to have to pay bribes to these people out of their own pockets).

It seems fair to me that the restaurant should not have to pay credit card costs.....

Tom

Or for tablecloth cleaning, or staff wages or food or any other cost of doing business!!

Credit card costs are just another cost of doing business. Restaurants don't have to offer this payment option........

Charged tips don't always go to the employees........hence I usually stick with cash. I am not convinced the same doesn't happen on the cruise!

I would think a restaurant, or cruise line, would have to be pretty unscrupulous to steal tips designated for their employees. If they got caught doing that I think, at least, it would ruin their reputation.

You are right. There are other costs of doing business. I guess I figured those are covered by the cost of the goods. I still believe "tips" are a reward for good service and extra above what the person is already getting paid. I'd like to think that is still true in spite of how hard some service industries are trying to change it.

If a restaurant doesn't have a little Visa/Mastercard symbol on the door we likely wouldn't eat there. We use our credit cards for everything and we get lots of benefits from that.

Tom

Or for tablecloth cleaning, or staff wages or food or any other cost of doing business!!

Credit card costs are just another cost of doing business. Restaurants don't have to offer this payment option........

Charged tips don't always go to the employees........hence I usually stick with cash. I am not convinced the same doesn't happen on the cruise!