Klaipeda, Lithuania

That is the only port for which I don't hasve a Celebrity map for. Given that it was the first time for Celebrity there, we may not have received one.

Don't really need one either!

We just walked around Old Town for couple of hourts and shopped for amber, linens and wood items and then took a Celebrity Tour to Palanga to see the Amber Museum.

The Curonian Spit tour sounded interesting but 8 hours was more than what we wanted. Some took the public ferry (need local money from ATM or bank in Old Town) to the Curonian Peninsula. Others hire a taxi for 4 hours ($30) and drove to Palanga on their own.

I thought the same thing about the spit tour looked nice but with so many long days prefer a shorter tour.

Did you enjoy the Klaipeda Old Town & Palanga Amber Museum tour? Also, when the tour was over were you able to stay in the town to explore then make your way back to the ship.

Thanks,

K

I thought the same thing about the spit tour looked nice but with so many long days prefer a shorter tour.

Did you enjoy the Klaipeda Old Town & Palanga Amber Museum tour? Also, when the tour was over were you able to stay in the town to explore then make your way back to the ship.

Thanks,

K

We took the afternoon tour at 2 pm instead of the 11:30 am which had already filled up. It was nice. Lots of nice Amber pieces. The guide gave us a lot of historical info. That was the only Celebrity tour that we signed up for. We had plenty of time in the morninng to shop and explore the old town. When our tour came back they gave us 20 minutes to shop some more and then they took us to a local brewery pub for a beer before returning to the ship.

Post you email address and I can share some of my pictures!

Actually the guide offered us 20 minutes to walk around the gardens in Plangaa, but we opted to return to town for some extra shopping time.!

• 2 months later...

Kurt,

When are you going on the Connie? We rae traveling July1 sailing...you seem to ask the same questions I have. The only port I am having trouble with is Klaipeda. According to the guide books...not much to do except the Slit area...Palanga. I am also thinking of the ship half day tour...but it is too early to book yet.

Karen

Kurt,

When are you going on the Connie? We rae traveling July1 sailing...you seem to ask the same questions I have. The only port I am having trouble with is Klaipeda. According to the guide books...not much to do except the Slit area...Palanga. I am also thinking of the ship half day tour...but it is too early to book yet.

Karen

Hi Karen: June 3 sailing..I am using the Bradt guidebook for Klaipeda. However I will probably take a ship tour "Klaipeda Old Town & Palanga Amber Museum". Looks interesting and only a half-day" I figure after the tour I can walk around and maybe shop.

Kurt

That ws my idea as well! Are you doing any private tours? I haven't booked anything but I am going to do Denrus/ Red October for St P. As for Tallin I don't know. I have been to Oslo Copen. and Stock before. Helsinki looks like a ho on hop off. In Gydania I am interested ina private tour to Stutthoff or we will rent a car and go ourselves. Private tour to Berlin. Any suggestions?

That ws my idea as well! Are you doing any private tours? I haven't booked anything but I am going to do Denrus/ Red October for St P. As for Tallin I don't know. I have been to Oslo Copen. and Stock before. Helsinki looks like a ho on hop off. In Gydania I am interested ina private tour to Stutthoff or we will rent a car and go ourselves. Private tour to Berlin. Any suggestions?

Using Denrus, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn doing on my own... Germany not sure maybe Lubeck. Poland maybe ship tour, Copehagen on my own or ship tour.

Hi Karen: June 3 sailing..I am using the Bradt guidebook for Klaipeda. However I will probably take a ship tour "Klaipeda Old Town & Palanga Amber Museum". Looks interesting and only a half-day" I figure after the tour I can walk around and maybe shop.

Kurt

This is the only ship's tour that we took. The early tour (11 am?) was full and we signed up for the 1 pm tour. Palanga was nice and our tour guide gave us half hour to walk around the grounds there, but we convinced her to drive back to town so we could have some more time for last minute shopping. The brewery that we visited in Old town as part of the tour was nice too. We got back to the ship at 6:20 pm, slightly late for our 6 pm dinner seating, but there was no problem.

We had plenty of time to walk around Old town in the morning, shop, and check out the local arts and crafts before walking back to the ship for lunch.

Since the cruise line did not receive compensaton to "hard sell" approved shops, therefore, no map or shopping info was provided to passengers. Many of us noted that we were disappointed in the lack of information, not only about shops, but the many interesting sights within walking distance of the ship. However, as we were leaving the ship, a security officer handed us a booklet and map.

There is a delightful craft market along the canal. Pubs are quaint and prices are reasonable. We took an afternoon tour to Palanga and the botanical garden and amber museum. Luckily we had an excellent our guide.

Darcy

Our May 21 cruise stopped there on June 1. It was the first time that a Celebrity ship (or any other large ship with lots of Americans) had ever docked there. The ship's crew knew little about the port. They may have maps and other info to hand out now. I don't recall what was on the info channel on the ship's TV.

We did get a small map with a 5% discount card from a jewelry store on the pier.

This is the only ship's tour that we took. The early tour (11 am?) was full and we signed up for the 1 pm tour. Palanga was nice and our tour guide gave us half hour to walk around the grounds there, but we convinced her to drive back to town so we could have some more time for last minute shopping. The brewery that we visited in Old town as part of the tour was nice too. We got back to the ship at 6:20 pm, slightly late for our 6 pm dinner seating, but there was no problem.

We had plenty of time to walk around Old town in the morning, shop, and check out the local arts and crafts before walking back to the ship for lunch.

If you bought something, did you use dollars, cc, or litas?

Thanks,

Kurt

At the craft market, I used dollars. The also accepted EU. I used dollars at a pub near the craft market. Our tour guide gave us quite a few booklets, maps and some excellent tour booklets.

Try Klaipeda Tourism & Culture Information Centre, tic@one. lt and http://www.klaipeda.lt

Also, Inyourpocket - essential city guides - vilnius@inyourpocket.com or http://www.inyourpocket.com The guide to Klaipeda is packed with infor about dining & nightlife, historic data, sightseeing, culture, events & sports, transportation, shopping and basic tourist information including how to ask essential questions in Lithuanian such as "Kur tualetas?"

Darcy

At the craft market, I used dollars. The also accepted EU. I used dollars at a pub near the craft market. Our tour guide gave us quite a few booklets, maps and some excellent tour booklets.

Try Klaipeda Tourism & Culture Information Centre, tic@one. lt and www.klaipeda.lt

Also, Inyourpocket - essential city guides - vilnius@inyourpocket.com or www.inyourpocket.com The guide to Klaipeda is packed with infor about dining & nightlife, historic data, sightseeing, culture, events & sports, transportation, shopping and basic tourist information including how to ask essential questions in Lithuanian such as "Kur tualetas?"

Darcy

THe craft market you mention, where is it in relation to the ship. I have a map of the area to look at. (from bradt book)

Thanks,

Kurt

Try Klaipeda Tourism & Culture Information Centre, tic@one. lt and www.klaipeda.lt

Also, Inyourpocket - essential city guides - vilnius@inyourpocket.com or www.inyourpocket.com The guide to Klaipeda is packed with infor about dining & nightlife, historic data, sightseeing, culture, events & sports, transportation, shopping and basic tourist information including how to ask essential questions in Lithuanian such as "Kur tualetas?"

Darcy

Where is the craft market located in relation to the ship. I have a Bradt map of the area.

Thanks,

Kurt

Darcy

Where is the craft market located in relation to the ship. I have a Bradt map of the area.

Thanks,

Kurt

If you bought something, did you use dollars, cc, or litas?

Thanks,

Kurt

There was one shop in Old Town square that only accepted litas. I changed some Danish money & US$ at a bank next to the tourist office to get the needed litas after we knew what we wanted to buy. The craft vendors will take US currency. Two other shops we bought at took credit cards. There are ATMs in the square too.

Tourist Info office has good maps too. It is a block from the square.

• 8 months later...

How far is Palanga from Klaipeda?

I FINALLY found a tour company that will do a private tour.

They offer Klaipeda

or Klaipeda-Palanga

or Curonian Spit.

What is in Palanga....other than the amber museum?

• 2 weeks later...

We will be visiting here next year and we are really interested in finding out as much as possible about this port of call. So was delighted to find this thread.

What do you advise? Is there enough to do in the port area/town? Is it walkable? Are there any must see places? And must sees further afield?

Is it worth a ship's excursion to places a bit further away.

Any more comments?

Thanks for all the above information in this thread.

Archived