Offshore snorkeling?

Debbbiee

There is a lot of info on shore snorkeling, but I'm having trouble finding a recommendation for a boat type snorkel. I prefer independent operators over ship excursions. Anyone use a company they would recommend? Or even heard of a company that people seem to like?

Thanks!

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Roatan in March for Spring Break (Holland America, family with 2 teens). We had trouble finding private boat tours and booked Sealegs Aquatic Adventures after quite a bit of internet research. I was a little nervous about it, mostly because there was limited information available on the internet, but it turned out to be our best day of the cruise. My teens were focused on water skiing/wake boarding, but I wanted to snorkel. The day was amazing. Here is what we did: unlimited water skiing/wake boarding in a protected cove until the guys couldn't take it anymore; 2 amazing off shore snorkel stops - again as long as we wanted, near spots with divers and no cruise ship vendor around; a quick, but very fun stop at the iquana farm where the boat tied up; and then lunch at the "hole in the wall" restaurant. We paid for our lunch at the restaurant but everything else was included. It was a completely customized day. The boat had a cooler with drinks (sodas, water, beer and an unopened bottle of rum) and a few snacks (fresh grapes).

While it was a great day for us, it might not work for everyone. I try to be clear on the negatives and here they are: you have to walk out of the port (see cruise critic comments) and pick up your driver. The driver was arranged by the hotel where Sealegs was located and he did not speak our language (English). Cost was set by the hotel and was probably $30 higher than necessary (bargain on water skiing more than covered it for it though). Our boat captain was tons of fun and we all liked him, but we are experienced in the water. He did not go into the water with us or offer instruction other than to say - great fish over there 10 yards... He did watch over us and I was confident he was looking out for us, but this wasn't a guided snorkeling tour. While they might be great with newbies, we didn't have a chance to observe how this might be handled. If you don't have experience, ask how they handle newbies before relying on this review. On the other hand if you are an experienced with water skis, wake boards and snorkels, they will give you a fun run and a great value.

If you want unlimited water skiing and wake boarding, this is the best deal we have found on any of our cruise stops. Snorkeling was amazing too. We would go with them again in a heartbeat. It was an amazing bargain for what we had.

Not sure if you are just limiting yourself to a boat snorkeling tour (especially since your title said shore snorkeling), but I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend trying out Maya Key. The snorkeling there was AMAZING. You drop right in from the dock and snorkeling everywhere...just beautiful. You swim out not really too deep water all around you) and you come to the most amazing drop off to no where! It's awesome.

If you are interested in reading my review of the place and it has TONS of pictures, you will find it in my signature line (clickable link) :)

Archived