Dawn Princess 6/13 review Part I

tee_wrecks

Just back from our Alaska trip that started with the cruise northbound from Vancouver and I'm working up a Journal report to post on the website so this one will be kind of a quickie. Check the site in about a week for photos and a full report. www.wcbeanphoto.com

Vancouver-Visited here a lot in the 70's when I was going to college in the Seattle area. It was one of my 3 favorite cities on the planet and nothing has happened to change that. If you've never been here, plan an extra day or two. You won't be sorry. A little exciting at the airport when everyone was trying to get out the door at once. If they treated it like a ski lift line and alternated who goes it would be so much less confusing than when everyone loses their manners and tries to be first. Great hotel, Vancouver Airport Hilton, great supper at a small place across the street from the hotel. Security getting aboard the ship was a non-issue. Arrived shortly after 10am and had to kill an hour before we could even go through security. Once we did, it took less than 10 minutes to clear customs and get to the holding area to get aboard ship. Found our cabin then went for a quick lunch in the Horizon court. Sail away was uneventful. Enjoyable sailing under Lionsgate Bridge and starting up the passage. The weather man was right, it was a bit windy down the east side of Vancouver Island. Slightly rough seas. Late supper in the dining room and off to bed around 10pm.

First day at sea-I was up to photograph the sunrise. A bit cloudy but the atmosphere performed quite nicely for us. Got some nice shots and saw the first eagle of the trip on a small island about 1/4 mile off the ship. Spent the majority of the day exploring the ship and soaking up some sun on the fantail of the Aloha deck which was just down the hall from our stateroom. DW saw about 30 porpoises frolicing in the wake while I was inside. Found some nice hidey holes where I can sit in a comfortable chair and work on the journal. Decided to skip formal night so we had supper in the Horizon court which was more than adequate. Watched the sunset (later every night) watched a movie on the laptop and turned in early. Ketchikan in the morning. Granted, this is my first cruise but so far I have absolutely no complaints about this ship, the food, or the way we've been treated by Princess other than the high pressure sales pitch to buy the freakin soda cards. Either come up with a card good for diet Dr Pepper or leave me alone!

Part 2 coming later so you don't get tired of reading!

Thanks for the first part of the review. If you can put all the parts eventually in the same thread, it will make it easier for me to follow. I hope this is what you are planning on. I can't wait to see the full review and all the pics.

Archived