iPhone question again sorry

Aprilmay13

I want to use my iphone on the ship to take pictures and listen to music . I have AT&T and PLEASE tell me if I'm correct on this. I need to put the phone in airplane mode, and i need to shut of roaming. what else do I need to do so I'm not charged extra for anything related to my iphone ??

Go to settings - General - Cellular - Turn Cellular Data off. Also, make sure Data Roaming is off. This will turn off email and any apps which use 3 or 4G but you will still be able to make/receive calls and texts.

If you are not planning to make/receive calls or texts then Airplane mode will be fine.

Also, after you out it in airplane mode you can turn on Wi-Fi. Then you can browse carnival website and depending on the ship view the days fun times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Also, after you out it in airplane mode you can turn on Wi-Fi. Then you can browse carnival website and depending on the ship view the days fun times.

I didn't know this. I thought airplane mode killed all communication and basically turned an iPhone into an iPod. Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, be very careful if you turn your phone off for any reason. When you turn it back on, some of the things I turned off were now back on. Luckily, I was expecting that to happen so I got them turned back off quickly.

Here's the info directly from Apple, you don't have to disable Cellular Data, Airplane Mode is basically the master switch for all types of communications. Also, for the poster that said settings were re-enabled after powering off/on the phone, that is not correct. Once enabled, Airplane Mode remains "On" until you turn it off. I've used this setting for many years and have never had an issue on a Cruise Ship. You can continue to use WiFi and Bluetooth as well as anything else on the phone. For Apps that require Data, you'll be warned/asked if you wish to turn off Airplane Mode so they can fetch the necessary data. In such cases, simply answer "No" or "Cancel" the prompt.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

Here's the info directly from Apple, you don't have to disable Cellular Data, Airplane Mode is basically the master switch for all types of communications. Also, for the poster that said settings were re-enabled after powering off/on the phone, that is not correct. Once enabled, Airplane Mode remains "On" until you turn it off. I've used this setting for many years and have never had an issue on a Cruise Ship. You can continue to use WiFi and Bluetooth as well as anything else on the phone. For Apps that require Data, you'll be warned/asked if you wish to turn off Airplane Mode so they can fetch the necessary data. In such cases, simply answer "No" or "Cancel" the prompt.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

That info is partially correct... Some people just shut off the things manually and not use airplane mode, and when its done that way if power off your phone and turn it back on everything gets turned back on. So it is important to use airplane mode not to be charged.

Go to settings - General - Cellular - Turn Cellular Data off. Also, make sure Data Roaming is off. This will turn off email and any apps which use 3 or 4G but you will still be able to make/receive calls and texts.

If you are not planning to make/receive calls or texts then Airplane mode will be fine.

Thank you, great info.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I did not know this. How convenient.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That info is partially correct... Some people just shut off the things manually and not use airplane mode, and when its done that way if power off your phone and turn it back on everything gets turned back on. So it is important to use airplane mode not to be charged.

I think I made that clear in my post that there was no need to turn individual settings off, like Cellular Data. Furthermore, the link to Apple's documentation clearly states what gets disabled and has no mention of individual settings requiring to be disabled. So how is this partially correct? All a person has to do is enable "Airplane Mode".

Archived