Juneau - Whale Watch as a first excursion - Rethinking Itinerary

EliseinAustin

I am sure each cruise is unique so the experiences vary. We just returned and we saw 11 humpbacks off the cruise ship on absolutely beautiful evenings, 2 separate nights. It was stunning, but right place right time I guess.

I had scheduled a tour with Orca in Juneau on a positively yucky day. Honestly I would have canceled if I could have. I am not sure why they say weather does not matter in Alaska? We did see about 6 humpbacks and it was a neat experience as they did come up close to the boat, however slightly preferred my experience on the ship. Perhaps weather skewed my view.

If you do a whale watch in Juneau I do recommend Orca, Capt. Larry is very much a whale whisperer.

I really question your claim that your tour was "so" superior to an earlier tour? What you need to consider is possible hype. Everyone wants to "hear" their tour was the "best" and how lucky they are and other people aren't. It is far more likely that the operator said the same thing to the prior and next tour. IF you saw 40 humpbacks, think about it, those whales didn't suddenly show all up for you. Humpbacks are some of the slowest moving, and in Auke Bay- they are NOT on the move, they are in feeding mode. They use their tails to feed, and they don't "spout water". It doesn't sound like you got a lot of facts on humpback behaviors? You may have gone out with an operator who didn't have a naturalist, or maybe is new to whale watching due to being a cross over from fishing charters. etc. Lots of people don't care. :) But some do.

Our whale watch operator told us how lucky we were several times during the trip this year. We did have great viewing but compared to other trips it wasn't extraordinary. Also, the past few years it seems that the term "naturalist" is being used a bit too loosely and many individuals that consider themselves naturalists really aren't.

Archived