How many people dread leaving their pets?

Gingee

This is such a good post because I hate leaving my dog. We have to board our dog every time we go on vacation and its so hard. I usually make my husband go with me to drop him off to handle the dog, who wines the whole time, so all I have to do is take car of the paperwork because its so heartbreaking. I am such a sap for that dumb dog!

Stop, you're not a sap. You're a "softie", you're in love....I totally get it and so does everybody else!!!!

We have the crabbiest barn cat God ever created so no, we don't miss her at all. We co-exist and appreciate the "time away"........be wary of "friends" bearing gifts for you may be saddled with a crazy, crabby barn cat.......:eek:

P.S.......she is 15 yrs. :eek:

WOW! Love this post and glad to know I am not the only one who absolutely hates leaving their dog. Enjoy cruising but I do miss and worry about my dog while I'm away.

Your avatar is my Horton. My avatar is Brenda. Horton is my Service Dog and goes on cruises with me. We'll be onboard the Star Princess on September 29th.

He's the NEW love of my life. My Brenda is my retired Service Dog who is 13 years old and had finished her 15th cruise before her retirement.

Leaving Brenda to cruise with Horton is one of the most difficult things I do in my life.....leaving her to go to work each day makes me crazy and makes me well-up with tears. She gives me the look that she wants to go with Horton and me but her stamina is just not the same and she quickly tires. Being a dog and having no ego, she's ready and willing to go any moment but, being the human and knowing what the future will hold if I exhaust this beautiful girl, I kiss her goodbye and leave! It's a difficult process!

In 2008 we had a very sick cat and my husband was sent by his work to Siberia for six weeks. I cried every night not over his absence but over my poor cat (I have no kids so they are like my babies). With heavy heart I left her to go to meet DH in Rome for a week when his work thing was done. I gave my parents a kind of power of attorney in case they had to put her down while I was away. Anyway, we went to Assisi for a day trip and I prayed for her at St. Francis's tomb. I'm not a Catholic or a church goer... but when we got home she had perked up a bit and lived for about another year. I hope her quality of life was acceptable during that extra time (she was still ill).

Now we have two different cats and I worry about them, but not as much as I worry about my parents who are now too old to be driving a 160 km round trip every two days to see to them. There's nobody else (unless I pay a service). They say they want to do it for all the years they took care of my sister's children and I never had any.

Most of my holidays are land-based three weeks (cruising is only in-between, when I can fit it in). That's a long time to expect the parents to help out.

Archived