No clue where to begin with Alaska

ollychelle

We have books and are trying to narrow it down. My mom is 71, and she can still get around fine (just not fast :)). My sisters are in their early 50s, and I am in my mid 30s (yes big gap). We might even split up at ports if interests differ. We are big travelers and 3/4 of are experienced cruisers. Unless I can get a better rate for a cruise through AAA or on board credit, I will book myself. TAs in my opinion are more work, because I admit I am a little anal about trip planning. I just was over whelmed with all the Alaskan choices (which I wasn't expecting). Right now we are leaning towards NCL or Holland America because of Glacier Bay. Still deciding overall, but actually leaning towards the Pearl because of Victoria port? Still deciding. Thanks everyone!!

I believe both NCL and HAL go to Victoria. One word of caution. Victoria is really charming but the ship arrives at 6PM. HAL seemed to be developing a reputation of arriving late. We docked at 7:15 on the Westerdam and some people were rushed. Former cruisers had cautioned us that Butchart Gardens was not a practical visit which is too bad since it is one of Victoria's highlights. The people who did take this excursion reported that they arrived after 8:15-8:30 and had almost no time to see the garden in the light. Tea at the Empress hotel was also a bit rushed. I have no idea why HAL has been late docking in Victoria because the weather was really fine.

We didn't have any problems on the Pearl when we went to Victoria. They docked when they were scheduled.

I think it is likely you would enjoy either HAL or the Pearl. Like I mentioned before, I just loved Skagway and it is a nice long day versus a much shorter time in the small town of Sitka. My Glacier Bay experiences on both HAL and NCL were almost identical.

I commend you for wanting to book yourself. You have more control over your booking and can ask for price reductions before you pay off your trip. NCL just gave us $100 ship credit about 5 months after we booked our TA for next spring. Decide on which one you want, wait for that great sale and you can always cancel if needed. BTW- you might want to purchase insurance for your mom's trip. Things happen!

Archived