Chankanaab - AI Ship Excursion or On Our Own?

SeeJennyCruise

jcool - yes it works out for everyone there. You can watch people doing the dolphin encounter and even take pics if you have a zoom lense (you are a ways away). then you can both relax on the beach and snorkel. I was nervous about doing something not through the boat, but it was just fine and you will see, everyone takes taxis to this place.

I chatted with the online chat on their website and they are saying that if we take Carnival in, we need to book through the cruise line.

Have any of you sailed with Carnival and just gone the day you were there and paid at the gate?

I'd much rather do that than the Carnival tour, but I don't want to get there and not be able to do it.

Thanks!

I chatted with the online chat on their website and they are saying that if we take Carnival in, we need to book through the cruise line.

Have any of you sailed with Carnival and just gone the day you were there and paid at the gate?

I'd much rather do that than the Carnival tour, but I don't want to get there and not be able to do it.

Thanks!

We did this last time we were there. We paid about $19/adult at the gate. For the next cruise, we wanted to do a snuba tour with the company and I got the same message. Our plan is to just go there and book that port day!

We went on our own, took a cab. Do you know where you are porting? Aren't there two ports there? One next to Punta Langosta and then another one about 3 miles away? Anyway, we always catch a cab in front of Punta Langosta. Last time it was $10.00...not bad at all. There is a bit more traffic on the way back usually but we've never been late. Go on your own, you'll have a great time!

There are actually 3 cruise ports in Cozumel. Punta Langosta is the port that NCL uses and is the furthest away from Chankanaab. Then there is Puerta Maya, which is the port that Carnival uses and then there's International, that is basically really close by Puerta Maya.

cozumelports_zpsdb33bd92.jpg

None of them are far at all and take about 15 minutes to get there. We've been in port with about 7-8 ships and never had a problem getting to or from Chankanaab or any place down that way. We have even visited during their "Independence Day" celebration in September and had to go around the small town area that was closed off and still no problems.

Cabs are in abundance and ready to take you anywhere. The cab "system" they have at Chankanaab is one of the best. They have a parking lot over to the side (not easily noticed unless you look for it) and the people at Chankanaab in the turn around area (which is the entrance that they drop you off and pick you up at) are all equipped with walkie-talkies. When you are ready to leave (no matter what time it is and we have been some of the last in the park before), they will radio one of the many cabs from the parking lot to come over to pick you up. It's really a great system. We have even left one of our bags with our ship card, money and everything in it, in the cab and they were able to flag it down after the cab had already left and headed back to the port for more people, by using the walkie talkies. No worries. :D

Edited by mitsugirly

You can pay with a credit card, but the charge will be in pesos and therefore you may have to pay a foreign transaction fee (depends on the card).

As for the food, I didn't hear great things about the indoor restaurant near the dolphins, but the outdoor "Restaurant La Laguna" near the lagoon was very good. Prices were a bit high, but not unreasonable for a restaurant on the beach will stunning ocean views.

P1010740_zpsd4fcc5ab.jpg

The VERY good lime soup, which is a specialty on the Yucatan Peninsula:

P1010732_zps942982cc.jpg

The sampler platter:

P1010735_zps83d87a7a.jpg

Even the nachos were very good, and not at all like nachos you would get in the states (they were made with oaxaca cheese and had both an enchilada sauce and a mole sauce):

P1010737_zpsd09fba12.jpg

we were there in Jan (second trip here) and going back in Nov. In Jan we took the tour with Discover Mexico which was a good history lesson and entertaining. Though we took the excursion we had the opportunity to stay as late as we wanted to return to the ship. Tour guide gave us taxi coupons. Its a great spot for snorkeling beautiful! The outside restaurant has excellent food and salsa and is reasonably priced. You may be able to print a coupon online for the admission. Just google it. Great place for kids or adults. I say buy some snorkel gear and take with you everywhere, don't necessarily need the fins...we take mask and snorkel everywhere when cruising....ya never know when you may take a dip :) (we are good swimmers though and drink after we snorkel)

Edited by Hozhoni
added info

You can pay with a credit card, but the charge will be in pesos and therefore you may have to pay a foreign transaction fee (depends on the card).

As for the food, I didn't hear great things about the indoor restaurant near the dolphins, but the outdoor "Restaurant La Laguna" near the lagoon was very good. Prices were a bit high, but not unreasonable for a restaurant on the beach will stunning ocean views.

P1010740_zpsd4fcc5ab.jpg

P1010732_zps942982cc.jpg

The sampler platter:

P1010735_zps83d87a7a.jpg

Even the nachos were very good, and not at all like nachos you would get in the states (they were made with oaxaca cheese and had both an enchilada sauce and a mole sauce):

P1010737_zpsd09fba12.jpg

awesome had the same nachos in jan....great photos :)

5-10 minutes, depending upon traffic. About $12+tip for 4 in a taxi, about $15-16+tip for 5 in a van cab; I would tip the driver a bit extra for the time spent installing and uninstalling your car seat for the toddler. Riding in a cab with the toddler on your lap is dangerous :eek: - I have the scars to prove it! :(

Good luck! :)

What did you do with your car seat at the park? This is what we plan on doing, but I am worried about lugging our 30+ lb car seat around and having a safe place to store it.

Thanks!

I have a couple of questions...one is about the payments...if you use a credit card you have to change to pesos...do you have to pay with pesos if you get a cab and to get in the park and get food and things in the park.

From reading here it is best to go on your own to the park...are the cabs non smoking...

Where do you find these coupons for visiting?

Thanks,

Beth

The sampler platter:

Thank you for posting the pictures and providing the information. We will plan to head to "Restaurant La Laguna".

I have a couple of questions...one is about the payments...if you use a credit card you have to change to pesos...do you have to pay with pesos if you get a cab and to get in the park and get food and things in the park.

From reading here it is best to go on your own to the park...are the cabs non smoking...

Thanks,

Beth

You do not have to pay with pesos. All of the taxis and tourist places will take US dollars. If you use a credit card the charges will likely go on your card in pesos and be converted into dollars. Your credit card company may charge a conversion fee.

Here is a link for the coupon: http://cozumelparks.gob.mx/cupones/index.html

I have a couple of questions...one is about the payments...if you use a credit card you have to change to pesos...do you have to pay with pesos if you get a cab and to get in the park and get food and things in the park. Everywhere I have been on the island in four trips, all took USD...One suggestion though...Make sure you have small bills, because the cabbies (everywhere really) are famous for a $16 fare and you give them $20 and they have no change...

From reading here it is best to go on your own to the park...

are the cabs non smoking...ahhhhh no.... There might be a van company or something that might be smoke free.

But 10 cab rides in Cozumel and I think at least 4 of them, the driver was smoking.

This isn't NYC...

you have a 50/50 shot at a seatbelt..

After they start driving, I doubt you'll be worrying about second hand smoke.

I always look at it, as they have saved me a trip to an amusement park and rollercoaster.

Thanks,

Beth

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Edited by bguppies

I have a quick question also! I recently went to Chankanaab and loved it! My cousin and I are going back in January and wanted to snuba at the park. When I chatted with the online person, she basically said I couldn't book a tour there because I'm coming on a cruise ship and wouldn't give me much information.

So my question(s):

Has anyone snuba'd (what a weird word) at Chakanaab? Were you easily able to book a tour at the gate? How much is it?

Thanks in advance!

I have a quick question also! I recently went to Chankanaab and loved it! My cousin and I are going back in January and wanted to snuba at the park. When I chatted with the online person, she basically said I couldn't book a tour there because I'm coming on a cruise ship and wouldn't give me much information.

So my question(s):

Has anyone snuba'd (what a weird word) at Chakanaab? Were you easily able to book a tour at the gate? How much is it?

Thanks in advance!

The reason they told you that you can't book at tour there is because you are on a Carnival ship. Carnival has a contract with Chankanaab and they will not allow you to book outside of Carnival. Most people on here will book saying that they are coming by another cruise ship (after finding out which one is in port that day). So that would be the reason that they told you that.

As for the snuba. I have never seen anyone on here mention that they have done this. I have never seen anyone on here review this before. I didn't even realize that there is an option for this at Chankanaab. However, you are the second person that has mentioned it recently.

I did a search. There is only 1 review on TripAdvisor about it and it was very vague and although it was listed under Chankanaab, it didn't mention it. It said: "Snuba excursion is a great activity if you are concerned about the transition from snorkeling to diving"

So I did a little more searching and found that there are companies out there that will take you to Chankanaab to do Snuba tours (but I don't think that it is actually a part of Chank???)

Snuba at Chankanaab

Chankanaab National Park requires transportation and entrance to the park. Taxis are $14 per taxi each way. Park entrance is $16 per person. (which I'm not sure about this, because it cost more than this to get in) You may get your own taxi or contact us for special arrangements. Take a Sea Trek Tour (extra charge). Tour time: 1 hour including 15 minute orientation for Snuba, then as long as you want to stay in the park.

Price Adult 59.00 Kids

8-17 59.00 This tour temporarily unavailable

To me, that's an outrageous amount to pay for 1 hour of time PLUS you have to always pay your admission and taxi on top of that. This seems to be an independent company...and with it saying "unavailable" I'm wondering if they still do this.

I found another site about Snuba at Chankanaab (and it actually stated it was "right next door to the dolphin swim") but the dates said 2011??? :confused: 1/1/2009 - 12/31/2011 $79 $79 1 hr approx

Other places mention it:

SNUBA Combine the freedom of snorkeling with the "uba" (underwater breathing apparatus) of scuba, and you get Snuba. Snuba is basically a hookah-like rig supplied by a scuba tank that instead of being strapped to your back is carried on an inflatable kayak. The kayak tags along at the surface while you swim as deep as 20 feet below. Snuba divers are free of the bulky buoyancy vest and tank, although they do wear weights in a belt to keep them down. There's also a harness that links you to the kayak and allows you to drag it behind you hands-free. ctl-aug08-cozumel-snuba.jpgSnuba makes diving easy at Chankanaab.

There's no certification necessary, but since Snuba divers are breathing compressed air underwater, there is some basic instruction involved (similar to a resort scuba course), and a dive instructor always supervises and guides the experience. Divers who try this will appreciate being more hydrodynamic minus their equipment, while snorkelers will thrill at the ability to stay underwater. The only drawback: Depending on wind and surface current, towing the kayak can be a drag.

But all of these places are OUTSIDE tour operators that offer this at Chankanaab.

I have to say that the times we have been there, there has never been anyone doing a snuba tour. They either snorkeled or scuba dived.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has done this or possibly been there and seen others that might have done this. Otherwise, I have a tendency to think maybe they don't offer this anymore???

Do you mind if I ask where you found your information on snuba at? Is it an outside contractor?

Originally Posted by Amethyst4110 viewpost.gif

I have a couple of questions...one is about the payments...if you use a credit card you have to change to pesos...do you have to pay with pesos if you get a cab and to get in the park and get food and things in the park. Everywhere I have been on the island in four trips, all took USD...One suggestion though...Make sure you have small bills, because the cabbies (everywhere really) are famous for a $16 fare and you give them $20 and they have no change...

From reading here it is best to go on your own to the park...

are the cabs non smoking...ahhhhh no.... There might be a van company or something that might be smoke free.

But 10 cab rides in Cozumel and I think at least 4 of them, the driver was smoking.

This isn't NYC...

you have a 50/50 shot at a seatbelt..

After they start driving, I doubt you'll be worrying about second hand smoke.

I always look at it, as they have saved me a trip to an amusement park and rollercoaster.

Thanks,

Beth

Hope that answers some of your questions.

That's weird, I have never been in a taxi where any of the people or drivers smoked...whether it be Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Nassau. :confused: I guess I didn't realize this since I have never seen it before.

The reason they told you that you can't book at tour there is because you are on a Carnival ship. Carnival has a contract with Chankanaab and they will not allow you to book outside of Carnival. Most people on here will book saying that they are coming by another cruise ship (after finding out which one is in port that day). So that would be the reason that they told you that.

As for the snuba. I have never seen anyone on here mention that they have done this. I have never seen anyone on here review this before. I didn't even realize that there is an option for this at Chankanaab. However, you are the second person that has mentioned it recently.

I did a search. There is only 1 review on TripAdvisor about it and it was very vague and although it was listed under Chankanaab, it didn't mention it. It said: "Snuba excursion is a great activity if you are concerned about the transition from snorkeling to diving"

So I did a little more searching and found that there are companies out there that will take you to Chankanaab to do Snuba tours (but I don't think that it is actually a part of Chank???)

Snuba at Chankanaab

Chankanaab National Park requires transportation and entrance to the park. Taxis are $14 per taxi each way. Park entrance is $16 per person. (which I'm not sure about this, because it cost more than this to get in) You may get your own taxi or contact us for special arrangements. Take a Sea Trek Tour (extra charge). Tour time: 1 hour including 15 minute orientation for Snuba, then as long as you want to stay in the park.

Price Adult 59.00 Kids

8-17 59.00 This tour temporarily unavailable

To me, that's an outrageous amount to pay for 1 hour of time PLUS you have to always pay your admission and taxi on top of that. This seems to be an independent company...and with it saying "unavailable" I'm wondering if they still do this.

I found another site about Snuba at Chankanaab (and it actually stated it was "right next door to the dolphin swim") but the dates said 2011??? :confused: 1/1/2009 - 12/31/2011 $79 $79 1 hr approx

Other places mention it:

SNUBA Combine the freedom of snorkeling with the "uba" (underwater breathing apparatus) of scuba, and you get Snuba. Snuba is basically a hookah-like rig supplied by a scuba tank that instead of being strapped to your back is carried on an inflatable kayak. The kayak tags along at the surface while you swim as deep as 20 feet below. Snuba divers are free of the bulky buoyancy vest and tank, although they do wear weights in a belt to keep them down. There's also a harness that links you to the kayak and allows you to drag it behind you hands-free. ctl-aug08-cozumel-snuba.jpgSnuba makes diving easy at Chankanaab.

There's no certification necessary, but since Snuba divers are breathing compressed air underwater, there is some basic instruction involved (similar to a resort scuba course), and a dive instructor always supervises and guides the experience. Divers who try this will appreciate being more hydrodynamic minus their equipment, while snorkelers will thrill at the ability to stay underwater. The only drawback: Depending on wind and surface current, towing the kayak can be a drag.

But all of these places are OUTSIDE tour operators that offer this at Chankanaab.

I have to say that the times we have been there, there has never been anyone doing a snuba tour. They either snorkeled or scuba dived.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has done this or possibly been there and seen others that might have done this. Otherwise, I have a tendency to think maybe they don't offer this anymore???

Do you mind if I ask where you found your information on snuba at? Is it an outside contractor?

Unfortunately, I think Carnival has 2 other ships in port that day along with my boat. That's basically what was said when I talked to the person on the chat (that Carnival had a contract). I basically asked her if I was staying at a resort and wanted a snuba tour, would that be an option at Chankanaab? And she said yes, but that's all the information she would give me.

Thanks for all that information! Maybe I'll see if I can find an outside contractor, but if not, the snorkeling's pretty awesome :)

We are cruising on RCI. How do we know if they have a contract with Chankanaab? The ship does have a couple excursions that go there but I would rather just go by ourselves. The kids really want to snorkel so I think this would be better than one of the beach clubs even though they are less expensive. I don't want to take a cab to Chankanaab and then be refused entry because we came on an RCI cruise ship.

We are cruising on RCI. How do we know if they have a contract with Chankanaab? The ship does have a couple excursions that go there but I would rather just go by ourselves. The kids really want to snorkel so I think this would be better than one of the beach clubs even though they are less expensive. I don't want to take a cab to Chankanaab and then be refused entry because we came on an RCI cruise ship.

I believe it's only Carnival that has a contract with them. It has never been mentioned that RCI is involved (or NCL, which I know for a fact).

So, I contacted them again to ask about snuba and this time said I was traveling through RCI. They were definitely more forthcoming with offering me tours and such this time! However, she explained that they did not personally offer snuba tours, but there were tours being held at Chankanaab. She said she didn't have any other information, so I guess I'm on my own on this one. It was definitely worth a shot though! Thanks for your help!

So, I contacted them again to ask about snuba and this time said I was traveling through RCI. They were definitely more forthcoming with offering me tours and such this time! However, she explained that they did not personally offer snuba tours, but there were tours being held at Chankanaab. She said she didn't have any other information, so I guess I'm on my own on this one. It was definitely worth a shot though! Thanks for your help!

I kinda figured that was the case since that was the only thing that I could find on it. Good luck in whatever you decide to book and do. Chankanaab is a wonderful place and the snorkeling is amazing, even without the snuba. ;) :)

To my knowledge, only CCL has any exclusive contract at this time, and only for the sealife encounters. Basic admission didn't ask or care where I came from.

And if you ask me, once you are there with money in hand, I doubt you will get turned away if they notice that big blue CCL towel in your bag.

But I agree, grab an taxi for $11USD and do this one on your own schedule, not via the large cruiseline tours with higher pricetags and stand-in-line for everything approach.

We only cruise with Royal Caribbean and I have done the Chankanaab ship excursion twice. We love it there! Most recently in Jan 2013. Planning to do it in Nov. with the kids. We have never been turned away.