Barcelona port of call with two small children

We will be on RCCL next summer with a port of call in Barcelona from 6am until about 5pm. Currently on the website there are very few excursions as I must have booked a ship with different embarkation days as there are only transfers offered to and from the airport.

My husband and I have done las Ramblas with wine and tapas before but never had a chance to see history or even go to the beach. If we opt to bring our toddlers with us for a few hours what do you recommend as a short and reasonably priced excursion? We'll have a double stroller which can fold flat but won't have cars eats so not sure about using private cars! Just shuttles/mini buses? Oh and I've already reached out to Carol on a different thread. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I think your easiest way to do it is to take the Red HOHO bus and see the city that way. One of the routes on the HOHO goes to Parc Guell.

I would not take the metro to Parc Guell with a double stroller, as the walk (in my recollection) is uphill and the sidewalk there is not conducive to a double stroller. :p

We just returned from Barcelona. Our pre-cruise stay was 4 days. I would actually get cheap single umbrella strollers as most places don't have the room for a double stroller and its hard to push.

We did the HOHO bus and it was easy but we only brought one of our single strollers (we carried our baby and the 4YO walked).

If I were going with toddlers, and wanted something fun, somewhat local feeling, and enjoyable for the kids and the adults, I would go up Tibidabo (not sure of the best way to get to the funicular that takes you there or the bus you can take from Placa Catalunya, from the cruise port--hopefully Carol could chime in) and take the kids to Tibidabo amusement park.

http://www.tibidabo.cat/en/homepage

I would not buy wrist bands--just stay in the areas that you don't need them for and buy individual tickets for rides--most of the toddler friendly rides are in that area anyway. :)

You'll have great views of the city while the kids enjoy the rides--and you can also stop in the really fabulous church (Sacred Heart) up by the entrance--which will almost certainly be less crowded and easier to handle with kids than Sagrada Familia will ever be.

We were there with teenagers--so there are not really good photos of the kiddie rides, but to get a feel for what the park is like with the views, etc and to see the church, you could glace at my blog posts from December:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/2013/02/our-spanish-christmasadventure-part-i.html

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/2013/02/our-spanish-christmas-adventure-part.html

Hi ,

We did barcelona with a 2 year old last year , and are returning pre cruise again in a few weeks .

Tibadabo is a great shout . The HOHO bus is very child friendly , almost all the buses drop to curb level and can wheel chair straight on . The HOHO bus does go to tibadabo , great rides for the kids , amazing views few you ( the food there is terrible though!)

Also along the sea front by the aquarium , there is lots of little rides , entertainers , shops , cafes , etc that would give you a very stress free child friendly day .

Hope that helps

We just came back and I took my 9 and 3 year old to the aquarium. be warned it is VERY expensive (60 euro for the 4 of us) but was really good. they have a playground in there and about 35 aquariums. Penguins too! They have a snack area ioncase you get hungry, and a shopping mall is right behind it. from there its easy to get a taxi to go where ever else you wanted to go as well. We opted to go to the outdoor shopping area they talked about on the boat, which was pretty disapointing since it was a 100% tourist trap with the same things at every booth.

Archived