Hi for anyone wondering what to do at Split, we were there last year and wandered around the old town which we thoroughly enjoyed.

I was speaking with my "old" boss who lived there before moving to Australia and asked for some tips of what to do this trip.

He suggested rather than doing the bus tour around Split that we walk to the city bus stop not far from where the tender docks. He then said we can get a bus about 20 mins and around 3 euro - but we need croatian money so will have to change some cash for it. The bus takes us to Trogir which is a small island just off split,. To get around Trogir it is an easy walk, with a famous cathedral.

Thought this might help if you are still wondering what to do.

I'll also post the info on the ports section.

Of course the town of Split is wonderful but we just thought it would be work seeing something different this time.

• 1 year later...
Epixx, thanks for the reply. Just curious what you did in Split. We are considering a small group tour to Krka National Park to enjoy the waterfalls.

Chris

Hi Chris: Yes; I would suggest doing this. We went with the ship's shore excursion, because our ship was only there for a limited number of hours. We enjoyed walking around the park (it's not hiking, it's just a walk) and swimming in front of the big waterfall. We went with our older teenagers, who very much enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to visit Diocletian's Palace, but if your ship has more time in port I would try to do this, too. Enjoy the trip!

Krka is beautiful, but I guess it's a good choice for a second visit or if you're in our region for several days. Yor not travelling over the ocean to miss antique and the World's most preserved Roman ruins because people never left them and still live inside. Every other option is only if you have spare time, and that includes Trogir, Klis Fortress, Antique Salona, our islands etc. That's my opinion.

My home is at the entrance of the Ancient Salona, it's a beautiful place, I take a walk there every other day. These ruins are older than Split, and this is beautiful and famous archeological site. But nobody lives there, and ruins are.... ruins. In Split, the palace was never deserted. There are influences of the centuries that passed, of course, but this is why it is so miraculous... you can see vividly all the historical changes but the base of the structure remains the same.

In Split, you have several sorts of confusing places, for example you have Jupiter's Temple which is the St John's baptistery in the same time. You have Diocletian mausoleum which is our Cathedral at the same time ( Emperor Diocletian was known to be very evil to the Christians).

Edited by Daniela32