Prudhoe Bay 3 day tour.....

indiesmom

My DH and I are debating whether or not to do the 3 day fly/drive or 3 day drive tour to Prudhoe Bay during the last week of August. We have looked at Northern Alaska Tour Company and 1st Alaska Outdoor School, LLC. 1st Alaska Outdoor School does a 3 day drive only tour with overnights both nights in Wiseman. It costs less than the Northern Alaska Tour company's but theirs is a fly one way drive the other with variations in price depending on whether you fly to Prudhoe Bay or or fly back from Prudhoe Bay--just that makes a difference of $200 per person. Does anyone have any experience using 1st Alaska Outdoor School for the 3 day Prudhoe Bay drive only tour? What is everyone's thoughts on fly/drive vs drive both ways. It definitely sounds like the 2nd day would be very tiring since you drive from Wiseman to Prudhoe Bay and then back the same day--arriving at Wiseman around midnight. But you would have twice the chance to see the arctic scenery/wildlife up close. Thoughts please!

We didn't use this company- we did the 15 day Exotic Explorer cruise tour with Princess- Flew into Anchorage, train the next day to Denali (2 nights), bus to Fairbanks, the Coldfoot, Deadhorse at Prudhoe Bay, flew back to Anchorage, bus the next day to Whittier and then the 7 night southbound cruise ending in Vancouver. It was all wonderful, but driving through the Brooks Range was a real feature- lots of wildlife, including wild herds of muskox close enough to touch- No, they wouldn't let us off the bus, because muskox can really hurt you, but the close-up pictures I took were fantastic. We started our journey in mid-August and got off the boat on September 1st. Deadhorse was very interesting. We stayed where the oil workers stay. We saw caribou and moose, and they wouldn't let us go swimming in the Arctic Ocean because a polar bear had been sighted- they can run at 25 mph and like to play with their food, so the cruise people wanted us to be very careful- back at the "hotel' some ladies went for a walk and were scared by moose wandering around. We were on the bus on the way up and flew back. Both were good- great views from the sky, but we would never had been so close to wild muskox any other way than by bus or car.

Sorry, the ONLY one to consider is the fly drive. You are missing the point doing a round trip Wiseman/Prudhoe Bay, with is all on the road. A poor choice in my opinion. I have gone on several tours with Northern Alaska, they are a well run long established vendor.

If you can arrange a one way trip with the other vendor, that would be my only suggestion. It is easy to just get a flight in/out of Prudhoe, stay a couple nights then hook up with a road trip the other way. I stayed at the Deadhorse Camp and highly recommend it over the cruisetour lodging. (which I also visited)

I have flown in and out of Prudhoe/Deadhorse for work. There is no way I would make that drive as I have a bad back.

The accommodations at Prudhoe/Deadhorse are where the oil field people stay but the tour guests have rooms with private bathrooms and you don't have to work.

I have seen people on the tours who are bored to tears. Learn about where you are going and what you are going to be shown. I have heard complaints about the accommodations and the meals. Learn what you are buying.

You will not be allowed to walk around on your own. You can't go exploring. You will not have free access. You will have guided controlled access as this is a working industrial site.

I have flown in and out of Prudhoe/Deadhorse for work. There is no way I would make that drive as I have a bad back.

The accommodations at Prudhoe/Deadhorse are where the oil field people stay but the tour guests have rooms with private bathrooms and you don't have to work.

I have seen people on the tours who are bored to tears. Learn about where you are going and what you are going to be shown. I have heard complaints about the accommodations and the meals. Learn what you are buying.

You will not be allowed to walk around on your own. You can't go exploring. You will not have free access. You will have guided controlled access as this is a working industrial site.

As I mentioned, I stayed at Deadhorse Camp, which had only shared bathrooms. It was spotless, and my experience there was spectacular. I had full access in the kitchen I greatly enjoyed chatting with the staff. I couldn't stop listening to their living experiences.

I too have seen way too many shell shocked unprepared people. Great suggestion to be well prepared.

As I mentioned, I stayed at Deadhorse Camp, which had only shared bathrooms. It was spotless, and my experience there was spectacular. I had full access in the kitchen I greatly enjoyed chatting with the staff. I couldn't stop listening to their living experiences.

I too have seen way too many shell shocked unprepared people. Great suggestion to be well prepared.

Yes, I've had 'shared' bathrooms and even shared bedrooms. A lot of the tours use a place with private bathrooms and slightly upgraded furnishings. Slightly! The buildings are all ARCO trailer-sort of buildings attached to one and other on long platforms.

I guess I've always had full dining hall access.

The fact that the area is DRY is a huge issue for some visitors who are surprised by that.

My DH and I are debating whether or not to do the 3 day fly/drive or 3 day drive tour to Prudhoe Bay during the last week of August. We have looked at Northern Alaska Tour Company and 1st Alaska Outdoor School' date=' LLC. 1st Alaska Outdoor School does a 3 day drive only tour with overnights both nights in Wiseman. It costs less than the Northern Alaska Tour company's but theirs is a fly one way drive the other with variations in price depending on whether you fly to Prudhoe Bay or or fly back from Prudhoe Bay--just that makes a difference of $200 per person. Does anyone have any experience using 1st Alaska Outdoor School for the 3 day Prudhoe Bay drive only tour? What is everyone's thoughts on fly/drive vs drive both ways. It definitely sounds like the 2nd day would be very tiring since you drive from Wiseman to Prudhoe Bay and then back the same day--arriving at Wiseman around midnight. But you would have twice the chance to see the arctic scenery/wildlife up close. Thoughts please![/quote']

We drove as far as Wiseman on day 1. Wiseman is a neat funky place. We then drove as far as Attigun Pass and a bit further (I am a big Ice Road Trucker fan) and returned to Fairbanks on day 2. We did the drive ourselves without any problems so do not let the haul road horror stories worry you as long as you rent the proper car.

Not sure if this helps you any but it was a great 2 days.

DON

We drove as far as Wiseman on day 1. Wiseman is a neat funky place. We then drove as far as Attigun Pass and a bit further (I am a big Ice Road Trucker fan) and returned to Fairbanks on day 2. We did the drive ourselves without any problems so do not let the haul road horror stories worry you as long as you rent the proper car.

Not sure if this helps you any but it was a great 2 days.

DON

Just a comment on Ice Road Trucker. I haven't watched for quite a while because the show was getting so over the top-it was a "made for reality" show, NOT A REALITY SHOW.

But I watched last night for lack of anything better on TV. What a hoot!!! About 8 of my own drivers (as you know, I own an international logistics company with 62 over the road trucks) have already commented this morning about the STUPIDITY of those drivers last night. The show needs to get a new technical adviser.

1. You don't start undoing battery cables with co-joined batteries the way they were doing it. You take off all the negatives 1st (you should even do this with your own car-ALWAYS take off the negative cable first or if you are jumping your car, attach the positive to BOTH vehicles THEN the negative and reverse the procedure when the car is started). AND if the cables are too short to SAFELY lay them away from the terminal posts, you wrap them in electrical or duct tape while you are working on the batteries. Once the cables sparked the first time, they should have KNOWN to be much more careful. STUPID drivers with little mechanical knowledge don't belong in those situations.

2. GOOD truck drivers have boxes of baking soda in their trucks. And especially these guys-running far away from medical care, trucks stops and people. That baking soda would have neutralized the battery acid IMMEDIATELY and the driver who got sprayed would have not had an 80 mile drive with his skin burning all the way. Not only is baking soda good for battery acid spills but it makes a great CHEAP fire extinguisher for small fires.

REAL truck drivers running those roads are THOROUGHLY prepared for just about anything including extra batteries, tires, an extra alternator, lots of tools and lots of medical stuff as well as an extra CB, flashlights and lots of batteries and LOTS of clothes, blankets and sleeping bags. Don't forget the food and water.

I really wish I would have been in a BIG truck stop last night with a CB radio. I can imagine the hooting and hollering that was going on. Reminds me of a couple of BIG faux pas in trucking shows-the biggest one I can remember-Movin' On with Claude Akins. They hauled a load of EGGS to LAS VEGAS in a DRY VAN. Since I was still driving truck at that time and 95% of my trucking experience is with refrigerated freight, you can imagine the looks on all the reefer drivers faces when the eggs were in a dry van. JUST NOT DONE!!!

When I met my DH in 1977, he had a KW painted EXACTLY the same as the Sonny Pruitt truck.

Always good to see a post from greatam as she can be about anywhere on our planet.

Although greatam has generously offered me a ride up the Haul Road, I have declined based on my age, (old bones) and a general laziness that makes flying a better deal for me.

Her offer is safe! (I think she knew that all along).

Alaskans as a rule are very wise about knowing how to do on the fly medical care and having said that, the Haul Road is no place for anyone with serious health issues. Do the tour operators inform folks of that?

Always good to see a post from greatam as she can be about anywhere on our planet.

Although greatam has generously offered me a ride up the Haul Road, I have declined based on my age, (old bones) and a general laziness that makes flying a better deal for me.

Her offer is safe! (I think she knew that all along).

Alaskans as a rule are very wise about knowing how to do on the fly medical care and having said that, the Haul Road is no place for anyone with serious health issues. Do the tour operators inform folks of that?

Good morning

Good point about people with serious health issues. I know Northern Alaska makes you sign a release. Don't remember that anything was discussed or brought up.

I'm home for a little while. Got to leave for the Middle East sometime before the 1st of August. Try to finish up whatever paperwork is left from Iraq, make sure stuff either got out of the country or got distributed where it was supposed to go. Afghanistan is so screwed up logistics wise that all I can do is write a 1 line report-FUBAR!!!

greatam, travel well! If you ever stay in one place long enough, I'd love to catch up with you for an epic chat.

Also would love to know what luggage and packing methods you use. I'm bored with what I've been using.

greatam, travel well! If you ever stay in one place long enough, I'd love to catch up with you for an epic chat.

Also would love to know what luggage and packing methods you use. I'm bored with what I've been using.

That would be incredible!!!! If it ever happens, include me!!!! :)

That would be incredible!!!! If it ever happens, include me!!!! :)

Budget Queen and greatam and Keith1010 are people I respect on their travel opinions and information.

I thought I knew something about travel until I started following you and...... I was a few steps above the beginner level although I have traveled a great deal for a very long time. ( I have 2 million miles with one airline and about half that much with another.)

I wasn't learning new things, techniques and methods, but was doing the same things over and over again.

And getting about the same results.

Yes you can teach an old women new tricks. I am grateful to all folks who post good information on Cruise Critic. Seriously!

A get together would be most interesting!

My DH and I are debating whether or not to do the 3 day fly/drive or 3 day drive tour to Prudhoe Bay during the last week of August. We have looked at Northern Alaska Tour Company and 1st Alaska Outdoor School' date=' LLC. 1st Alaska Outdoor School does a 3 day drive only tour with overnights both nights in Wiseman. It costs less than the Northern Alaska Tour company's but theirs is a fly one way drive the other with variations in price depending on whether you fly to Prudhoe Bay or or fly back from Prudhoe Bay--just that makes a difference of $200 per person. Does anyone have any experience using 1st Alaska Outdoor School for the 3 day Prudhoe Bay drive only tour? What is everyone's thoughts on fly/drive vs drive both ways. It definitely sounds like the 2nd day would be very tiring since you drive from Wiseman to Prudhoe Bay and then back the same day--arriving at Wiseman around midnight. But you would have twice the chance to see the arctic scenery/wildlife up close. Thoughts please![/quote']

My wife and I did drive up/fly back. It has been a good ten years, but Northern Alaska Tour sounds very familiar. Don't think my back or behind would be happy driving both ways. It was only a year or two after the "haul road", as it is called, was opened to any public vehicles, before that it was only for commercial traffic serving the oil field. So I guess there is a good bit more traffic now. When we did it, I don't think we saw more than 5 or 6 vehicles the whole drive that were not 18 wheelers. It can be a very rough ride for a great portion of the trip, we spent many hours at 25 MPH or so. You will get a true sense of what an ABSOLUTELY MIND BOGGLING engineering feat the pipeline is as you parallel it across some of the most rugged, hostile terrain ever. Remember that nothing at all existed, no road, no service facilities, no bridge over the Yukon, nothing but raw wilderness that had never has a human boot on it. The lodging is facilities built for the pipeline workers, and there purpose today is still to serve the truckers, very basic modular buildings, but good, plentiful food. I don't know about wildlife in August, we were in early May and saw lots, herds of caribou, foxes, swans, geese. The Arctic Ocean is nothing scenic, but how many people do you know that have been there? If you haven't figured it out by now, we loved the trip.

Hint for picture humor. I had brought a sign that said "Of course it is cold, it is the Arctic Ocean you dummy". We actually took our shoes and socks off and walked out a few feet to take a photo showing us standing in the ocean. Then we held the sign and took one close enough so it could be read. Of course, when we would show people the pic and say we were standing in the Arctic Ocean, the automatic question was "Was it cold?"...to which we would hand them the next picture with the sign.

My wife and I did drive up/fly back. It has been a good ten years, but Northern Alaska Tour sounds very familiar. Don't think my back or behind would be happy driving both ways. It was only a year or two after the "haul road", as it is called, was opened to any public vehicles, before that it was only for commercial traffic serving the oil field. So I guess there is a good bit more traffic now. When we did it, I don't think we saw more than 5 or 6 vehicles the whole drive that were not 18 wheelers. It can be a very rough ride for a great portion of the trip, we spent many hours at 25 MPH or so. You will get a true sense of what an ABSOLUTELY MIND BOGGLING engineering feat the pipeline is as you parallel it across some of the most rugged, hostile terrain ever. Remember that nothing at all existed, no road, no service facilities, no bridge over the Yukon, nothing but raw wilderness that had never has a human boot on it. The lodging is facilities built for the pipeline workers, and there purpose today is still to serve the truckers, very basic modular buildings, but good, plentiful food. I don't know about wildlife in August, we were in early May and saw lots, herds of caribou, foxes, swans, geese. The Arctic Ocean is nothing scenic, but how many people do you know that have been there? If you haven't figured it out by now, we loved the trip.

Hint for picture humor. I had brought a sign that said "Of course it is cold, it is the Arctic Ocean you dummy". We actually took our shoes and socks off and walked out a few feet to take a photo showing us standing in the ocean. Then we held the sign and took one close enough so it could be read. Of course, when we would show people the pic and say we were standing in the Arctic Ocean, the automatic question was "Was it cold?"...to which we would hand them the next picture with the sign.

You were there in early May and you were able to stand in the water? I went in June and the Arctic Ocean was frozen WAY out. No "water" .

Archived