Wondering if anyone has done this...

cruz4natic

Hello all. Wondering if anyone has ever done this, or if we are allowed to do this.....thinking of staying in Moorea for a night in an over the water bungalow, and then meeting up with the ship the next day in Papeete? The ship will not arrive in Papeete until 8 p.m. and stays overnight, so we will have plenty of time to make sure we get there. I know there are ferries that travel between Moorea/Papeete. Interested to hear if this has been experienced by anyone. Thank you. :rolleyes:

UGH! I'm so sorry. I made a huge mistake. :eek: Good thing I noticed it now. LOL Cannot stay overnight in Moorea, ship moves on to Papeete same day. So.....we are overnight in Papeete, arrive 8 p.m. depart 5 p.m. next day. Does anyone know if it is possible (cruise ship allows us) to stay overnight in Papeete in an over the water bungalow? We would leave Moorea on our own, catch an ferry over to Papeete, and check in. Any input is appreciated and/or recommendation for Papeete Hotel with over the water bungalows. Thanks again....:)

Oh, thank you. I was afraid you were going to say that. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the time to stay in Moorea. That was our first hope. We arrive in Moorea at 8 a.m. and the ship departs Moorea at 5 p.m. and arrives in Papeete at 8 p.m., the same evening. Departs Papeete at 5 p.m., next day. If we stayed in Moorea, we would miss seeing much of anything in Papeete. We really did, somehow, want to experience the OWB experience, but not if it isn't worth it, cause it's a bit pricey. :o

People have been known to leave the ship before it leaves for Papeete.

Get a Priority Club (now IHG) Visa card and after a year and your $49 yearly fee you can stay at the IC for free. You also get enough points for getting thaw card to get a free night anywhere.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would bet that you could certainly leave the ship in Moorea and spend the night in OWB and then rejoin the ship the next day in Fa'aa. Have written permission -- if ship is sailing to Tahiti and you are not on board big problems and everyone will hear Mr and Mrs ____ of Cabin ___ on Deck ___ please call if you are on board !!! I have been on this type of cruise and loved it. Really not sure I would spend the money for the OWB when I had a perfectly lovely cabin on the ship. Food is ultra expensive on the islands also (many stories of 75$ US for breakfast) so factor that in. The ferry schedule is listed on some of the Moorea hotel web sites and the Tahiti tourism site. It is basically 7 AM to 4 or 5 PM and about 6 trips a day First thing of all though is to see if there are even any OWB rooms available for the day you need it. There is a limited supply. I did OWB 10 years ago in Rangiroa and it was a nice experience but really you do have to sleep and for the few hours you have--uhh--lots of trouble and money IMHO. It was a bucket list item probably for us but when we return to Tahiti on a stopover on the way to NZ we are staying garden bungalow.

Good luck in your planning.

You can do it on Moorea.

Het off ship and go to hotel. Your checkout is around non. Head for ferry which will take you to Tahiti and drop you off next door to the ship.

This is an easy do ...........

Moorea ferry schedule

http://www.aremiti.net/

Moorea transport company - www.toreanui.com or http://www.albert-transport.net/p3_gb.asp

Thank you so much for the links, and your input. We would miss spending anytime in Papeete if we were to do this. Would you skip Papeete to spend the time in Moorea? Would we miss a lot to see in Papeete? We have never been to any of these areas before. And another concern we had was if for some reasons the ferries did not run and/or schedule changes and we would not get back to the ship in time. Any of your comments would be very welcome. Thanks, again.

The ferry schedule works like a clock, always on time unless it's real bad weather. Just don't take the last ferry of the day.

Moorea offers so much more than Tahiti.

Only things I tell people not to miss on Tahiti are the roulottes next to the ship dock and an inner island tour of the waterfalls.

PPT is rather 'scruffy' ............

You will need to measure what's more important. An OWB or what I mentioned.

Personally I would rent a car on Moorea (right from tender drop off location) and plan on keeping over night. Run around a bit while your waiting for your room to be ready. As you only have one night on Moorea pick the resort by sunset/sunrise views. If you want the best sunset go to the Hilton and ask for a west facing OWB. If you want sunrise with a view of Tahiti go to the Sofitel. Use the car the following day to see more of Moorea and drop it off across the street from the ferry docks. Avis allows this where you can pickup at tender drop off and drop off at ferry dock. Once you get off the ferry your right next door to the ship. You only need to bring over night bag, leave the rest in your room.

Avis Contact on Moorea: sandrine@avispacificar.pf

Wow, thank you so very much, tikiintahiti, for all the wonderful and helpful information. You certainly do know your way around, and it's so kind of you to offer so much info. I think we just may do what you suggested, and we would still have time to enjoy the roulottes if we get back to the dock early. My only question would be....is it easy to navigate your way around Moorea with a car for people who have never been before, and how far is the Hilton from where we would pick up the car rental? Thanks, again, we really appreciate your help. :D

Hilton is about 6 miles from either tender drop off location, about 10 minutes. No you can't get lost. There is one main road that circles the island and a few other roads you might venture on like going up the the Belvedre lookout, but no, you won't get lost. The drop off location is across the street from the ferry terminal, you can't miss it.

Been there lots of times myself--enjoy reading your opinions---My first trip was 1979 (I think)--Bloody Mary's opened then-sooooooo different from now--had about 4 small tables and and a bar having seats for 4 or 5 people--Of course, those pics are on the back wall of the current bar. At that time we were staying at the place where the stars stayed during the filming of Hurricane--No doors had locks--also, the island guys hadn't all found loin cloths or anything else at that time--

I see you live in CA also--my area by any chance--Seal Beach and La Quinta?????

We had outdoor showers ONLY on Moorea.

Nancy:D:D

That means you stayed at what is now the Sofitel.

First trip for us was 1989

I remember the 1st time we went to Aitutaki. Yup, the guys didn't have undies ............ my BH blushed

I live in Paso Robles but in the process of moving to Temecula ........... wine country to wine country

Yes--you're correct on the Sofitel Hotel--many years after I had stayed there I went on a beat-up boat to kill a couple of hours while in Bora Bora--this was a worn out glass bottom boat--Started talking to the guy who was running this boat, apparently his boat, he told me he was in the movie Hurricane and loved Bora Bora and never returned home to the states, can't remember his name--I've loved that story of his since he first told me.

Memories, memories!!!!

We stayed the first year Club Med opened in their new location on Bora Bora in 1991 and stayed there the last year they were open ....... we must have stayed there at least a dozen times over the years ..... memories.

At least you and I were there before all the big resorts on the motus ...... way different

I remember when Patrick was a young stud and what a treat to watch him fire dance back then.

Times have changed

In 1979 (I think) some from club Med came over to eat with us--not that what we had was spectacular--but maybe a touch better, who knows--we were bunked in what was the make up room--3 vanities and mirrors and a couple of showers and a couple of toilets--I remember the bread boxes outside of the homes...

I am so OLD!!! well, at least there have been lots of good old days in my life----

When I was there the first time I talked my business insurance agent to take his wife on their honeymoon--Their daughters middle name is Moorea.

About that time a young lady I had working for me and still is for that matter--went to a time share event a bought one in Moorea 25 years ago.

She went back for the anniversary and just loves Bora Bora. I hired her at 18 and she is 53 years old now--she was one of the first I had ever hired.

Boring information, I know !!!!!!!

Archived