Radiance Alaska ? about path of ship from those who just got off...

Hi there,

We are looking to book Alaska on the Radiance in 2014, B2B northbound and southbound.

On the Royal website, it shows the ship leaving Vancouver and heading out into open ocean to sail to its first stop in Ketchikan and the reverse path coming southbound. But on other TA sites, it shows the Radiance staying inside the true inside passage the whole way northbound (and southbound).

However, we are interested in taking a cruise that stay in the true inside passage through this whole first part of the cruise (or last part of the cruise if southbound). We love all the little islands floating by as we sail up and down the coast.

The cruise we took a long time ago sailed East of Vancouver Island and that's what we would like to do again.

I believe by doing this you go through a very tight region too where you have to wait for the right tides to pass.

Sorry for the vague question but we'd like to plan the right cruise for us and it's important that we try to do a true inside passage sailing. If you have been sailing on the Radiance recently N or S, can you please let me know if the ship goes into the open ocean around Vancouver or stays in the straits?

Thank you,

Katherine

Hi there -

Just got off the ship Friday after doing 14-days on board. The ship going both up and back went between Vancouver Island and the mainland. We did not go to the west coast of Vancouver Island to sail up. I believe only the ships that sail from Seattle do the west coast of Vancouver Island and those out of Vancouver sail the east coast of Vancouver Island. We were in open ocean north of Vancouver Island before reaching Haida G'waii.

Hi there -

Just got off the ship Friday after doing 14-days on board. The ship going both up and back went between Vancouver Island and the mainland. We did not go to the west coast of Vancouver Island to sail up. I believe only the ships that sail from Seattle do the west coast of Vancouver Island and those out of Vancouver sail the east coast of Vancouver Island. We were in open ocean north of Vancouver Island before reaching Haida G'waii.

That is great to hear! How were 14 days on the ship? Is it nice or a bit too much? The itiniary is the same up and down so that is our only concern....

Katherine

We sailed with friends going up and they flew home from Anchorage. We stayed on and sailed back. It was nice although every port was the same. The weather wasn't great on either 7-days. That was a little disappointing especially knowing that the previous cruises all had warm gorgeous weather but there's nothing that can be done about that. We were lucky to have the same itinerary both weeks as the first attempt to see Hubbard Glacier was nixed because of fog and ice. However, two days later on the southbound trip we were able to get in fairly close and no fog. Everything is repeated so the nice thing is if you have two things you want to do one night, you always have the next week to do it. Same goes with the restaurant meals.

Hi there,

We are looking to book Alaska on the Radiance in 2014, B2B northbound and southbound.

On the Royal website, it shows the ship leaving Vancouver and heading out into open ocean to sail to its first stop in Ketchikan and the reverse path coming southbound. But on other TA sites, it shows the Radiance staying inside the true inside passage the whole way northbound (and southbound).

However, we are interested in taking a cruise that stay in the true inside passage through this whole first part of the cruise (or last part of the cruise if southbound). We love all the little islands floating by as we sail up and down the coast.

The cruise we took a long time ago sailed East of Vancouver Island and that's what we would like to do again.

I believe by doing this you go through a very tight region too where you have to wait for the right tides to pass.

Sorry for the vague question but we'd like to plan the right cruise for us and it's important that we try to do a true inside passage sailing. If you have been sailing on the Radiance recently N or S, can you please let me know if the ship goes into the open ocean around Vancouver or stays in the straits?

Thank you,

Katherine

We are doing the Northbound June 27, 2014, then Southbound July 4, 2014. We did this same cruise years ago and I remember being in the inside passage, but I thought the first night we were at sea.

We like it so much we decided to do it twice this time, we did not get to do everything we want last time.

Lisa

We just did the southbound a few weeks ago and loved the Inside Passage views. There were ribbons of fog - it was eerie and beautiful. And Captain Sindre did say that we were fortunate to be able to see the passage through the Seymour Narrows when it was light out, because it is only passable for large ships every six hours. A few pics:

9196153798_5ed23f8940_c.jpg

IMG_0772 by suegee57, on Flickr

9193359871_ee3a5f350d_c.jpg

IMG_0773 by suegee57, on Flickr

9196160816_16d8df8878_c.jpg

DSCN2364 by suegee57, on Flickr

9196155970_cb286807ce_c.jpg

IMG_0771 by suegee57, on Flickr

9196147422_841670b6d0_c.jpg

IMG_0774 by suegee57, on Flickr

I am confused. I thought that B2B Alaska cruises weren't possible due to the Jones Act?:confused: Was it something else I am thinking of?

The law applies to cruises between US ports, and the B2B Alaska cruises either start and end in Seward (closed loop is OK with visit to Canada) or start and end in Vancouver.

We just did the southbound a few weeks ago and loved the Inside Passage views. There were ribbons of fog - it was eerie and beautiful. And Captain Sindre did say that we were fortunate to be able to see the passage through the Seymour Narrows when it was light out, because it is only passable for large ships every six hours. A few pics:

Nice photos!

I'm still working through my thousand or so pics I took this time around to Alaska.

Spectacular photos. Hope you post (some) of your other 1000+ pix.

I'm not Tweedy (I hope to see some of those 1000 pics, too!), but I am the PP who added those photos above, and my photo album and blog are linked in my signature, if you are interested!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not Tweedy (I hope to see some of those 1000 pics, too!), but I am the PP who added those photos above, and my photo album and blog are linked in my signature, if you are interested!

Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Archived