Karunda Scenic Railway and Skyrail

Hi

I want to do the Karunda Railway in the morning and Skyrail return with aboriginal experience.

Is it best to do this from Cairns train station or Freshwater?

I am trying to understand the transfers but I think it means they will provide transfer from cruise ship to train station and from wherever you end your tour to the dock.

Can anyone help me understand how to make this day happen in the most reasonable way possible.

Careful here. The train times do not necessarily allow you to do this on your own , within the ships arrival and departure times.

However you can do the Skyway and Kuranda railway as a ships excursions . Various combinations are usually offered . To fit within the ships times the trip up is by bus or skyway and the trip back by train .

Edited by kuldalai

• 4 weeks later...

you will definately need transfers, as Freshwater station and the skyrail terminal are both approx 10-15km from the cruise terminal, and about 5km from each other. The cairns station is just a short 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal.

Be very careful of what you will be charged for booking this excursion through your cruiseship. Sometimes they will charge you an excess of up to 150%.

here's a page listing tours with later/variable start finish times which are suitable for cruise passerngers in cairns - http://www.visitcairns.com.au/store/products.aspx?categoryid=ea6f6085-caaa-4f0e-973d-0657baca3d2f

You can do it on your own.

The 9.30 train from Cairns works perfectly.

You probably wont spend too long in Kuranda if you aren't keen on markets etc. Skyrail back down and Tjupakai is at the bottom nearby. Prebook the tickets online.

You can get a taxi to get you from there if you want which will be about $25 back to the ship. (I am assuming you are docking in Cairns Central)

• 5 months later...

We will be playing golf 20 min north of Cairns in the morning. Is it worth the drive up to Kuranda in the afternoon? Where do we drive from? We are staying in Port Douglas; 1 hour north of Cairns. Thanks for your help!:confused:

For anyone who's done the Jungle Train / Skyrail tour via a ship sponsored excursion, how does it work for the intermediate Skyrail stops - do they allow time here or is it basically a non-stop gondola ride back down to Cairns?

I understand there's likely to be a tour bus/coach waiting at this end for transfer back to the dock.