Alaska-Celebrity Millennium NB or Norwegian Sun SB?

sourplum

I posted same question on other forum and was suggested by Keith1010 to post again in "Alaska" forum for possible more replies.

We just made last minutes vacation plan and decided to take our first Alaska cruise. 5 travelers include my 88 years old parents, sister (3 of them never cruised before) my fiance and I. Because work schedules, we only can take cruise between August 3-5th or after Aug 16th. My son took RC Radiance last year and very impressed. However, RC only have inside cabins left. We prefer to get balcony or suite. Also, it will be colder toward to later of August.

So far, we narrow down to 2 choices which have almost same itineraries. One is 8/5-NCL Sun SB and the other is 8/16-Cele Millennium NB. I took RC ,Princess and Carnival before and never tried NCL or Celebrity.

I would appreciate if any one can give suggestions or opinions about these 2 choices! Thank you.

IF your cabin choice is important, then book based on that.

There are differences, Whittier and Seward. Any plans for added time? I highly recommend it. Each of these areas have excellent tours, with Seward more options and well worth a few nights.

Look at time in ports. Seeing Alaska can be a major highlight of an Alaskan cruise. very different from the Caribbean where you just get off the ship and into a cab. Tours are varied and many more must does, than you can do in 10 trips. :) So, look over a shore excursion list. Split up, don't count on "group touring" costs are too up there to drag along uninterested people. :) This isn't the place to skimp, in my opinion.

I believe they both go to Hubbard and Hoonah?

Find out about Alaska, it will offer you better choices. head to your library for Alaska travel books. Read trip reviews on both these ships, a separate board on this website.

Either will offer you a great cruise.

Just so you know, I choose by itinerary, so ship is really not in the equation for me.

If you could swing the NB on NCL, you would get Glacier Bay along with Hubbard Glacier....two premier glacier areas.

The SB NCL will give you Hubbard and Tracy Arm. Tracy Arm is gorgeous too, but I would lean to Glacier Bay myself.

Since I prefer scenic areas to ports, I would choose either NCL itinerary rather than Celebrity which only goes to Hubbard Glacier for scenic sailing. JMHO. You need to decide what you and your group would prefer.

Thanks vbmom87 and Budget Queen for your replies.

The other 4 persons in my group all count on me to make the executive decision. 3 of them never cruised before. My fiance doesn't like to surf on web. (The only time he spend on web is for investments.)

Both itineraries are similar and covers Hubbard. One is starts from Whittier and the other ends at Seward. I will compare the time we spend on each ports.

Thank you for your suggestions.:)

For me, I'll choose NCL Sun, from a bang for the buck perspective. As you said, both ships are on very similar itinerary, though with different departure / ending ports.

The choice between Whittier vs. Seward, IMO, is mainly on the extra small boat glacier cruise you can do... Whittier will be the Prince William Sound glacier cruise, while Seward is Kenai Fjord (a National Park).

But, given going NCL Sun will be a lot cheaper, I will go that route, and use the $$$ savings to do more on the excursions.

Definitely do small boat excursion at Sawyer Glacier. I think NCL has that.

Archived