Shore Excursions

Gerioo1

For those of you who have been there before, can any of these ports be done on your own? Are there cabs available and is it safe?

The ports are:

Ushuaia, Argentina

Punta Arenas, Chile

Puerto Montt, Chile

Puerto Madryn, Argentiana

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

For those of you who have been there before, can any of these ports be done on your own? Are there cabs available and is it safe?

The ports are:

Ushuaia, Argentina

Punta Arenas, Chile

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

All depends on what you want to see. The towns themselves are small and you can get around on your own. Keep in mind that English is not their first language and unless you know Spanish, you may have a problem with communicating with the taxi drivers.

Ushuaia, February 2012 we arranged with Mario Miraglia, a taxi driver with vey good English, to show us the town, the national park in a morning tour. Mario also answered many questions about life in Argentina and in particular this outpost at the end of the world. About $US150 for the taxi which could seat four. Three broad hipped passengers in the back seat might be a bit squeezy. mariomiraglia@hotmail.com

We had a very good king crab lunch at a waterfront restaurant recommended by Mario and in the afternoon we took a joy flight in a small (3 passenger + pilot) aircraft from the Ushuaia Aero Club. Easy to get around the town on foot or by hailing a passing taxi. I am sorry that we didn't have time to visit the historical museum housed in the former goal. Other passengers said the train ride to the national park was over-rated and very uncomfortable.

We took Silversea's excursions from Punta Arenas to an estancia outside town and from Puerto Mont to the lakes and volcano, also a considerable distance from the port. Both were very enjoyable.

I don't know what is available in these two cities or the other ports you are visiting. The CC rollcall might give you some ideas. I hope you enjoy the cruise.

Of all of them (we did not go to Puerrto Montt or Ushuaia due to weather, nor was Punta del Este on our schedule), Puerto Madryn is probably the safest and most interesting to just walk around. We took a tour to see the penguins but I wished we had time to explore the town near the dock when we returned. Unfortunately, there was no extra time so I can't speak from experience.

There are interesting eateries near the Montvideo port but I would stay with a group, especially if you aren't fluent in Spanish. We took a pre-arranged tour, but others had lunch of blood sausage. They said it was "the best" if you like that kind of thing.

Edited by sansterre

The ports are:

Ushuaia, Argentina

Punta Arenas, Chile

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

See my post #16 at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1878528

for some comments on most of these ports. We (or I) were happy walking around Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, and Montevideo on our own -- walkable from the dock with no need for a taxi; lots to see and photograph; did not feel uneasy (though obviously one always should be careful with valuables). As noted in the aforementioned posts, we also did tours at those ports, but walking around on our own was a good part of our visit(s) to those ports.

John

Edited by J-D

Where we were docked in Punta Arenas, there wasn't anything within walking distance of the dock.....other than the shop that was open when we returned from our excursion. If you dock near town, then do explore it on your own. PA is a lovely little town with interesting town square/park.

Where we were docked in Punta Arenas, there wasn't anything within walking distance of the dock.....other than the shop that was open when we returned from our excursion. If you dock near town, then do explore it on your own. PA is a lovely little town with interesting town square/park.

I remember it as being about a 10 min walk from the Punta Arenas tender dock to the central square. My notes from that day say it was about 4 or 5 short city blocks, and a map of the town confirms that. From the tender dock, one walks inland about 2 blocks, and then to the right 2 or 3 blocks.

John

Edited by J-D

The ports are:

Ushuaia, Argentina

Punta Arenas, Chile

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

Join your Cruise Critic Roll Call.

There are probably other cruisers arranging private tours in each of the ports that you could join.

• 4 weeks later...
Ushuaia, February 2012 we arranged with Mario Miraglia, a taxi driver with vey good English, to show us the town, the national park in a morning tour. Mario also answered many questions about life in Argentina and in particular this outpost at the end of the world. About $US150 for the taxi which could seat four. Three broad hipped passengers in the back seat might be a bit squeezy. mariomiraglia@hotmail.com

We had a very good king crab lunch at a waterfront restaurant recommended by Mario and in the afternoon we took a joy flight in a small (3 passenger + pilot) aircraft from the Ushuaia Aero Club. Easy to get around the town on foot or by hailing a passing taxi. I am sorry that we didn't have time to visit the historical museum housed in the former goal. Other passengers said the train ride to the national park was over-rated and very uncomfortable.

We took Silversea's excursions from Punta Arenas to an estancia outside town and from Puerto Mont to the lakes and volcano, also a considerable distance from the port. Both were very enjoyable.

I don't know what is available in these two cities or the other ports you are visiting. The CC rollcall might give you some ideas. I hope you enjoy the cruise.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant for the King Crab lunch on the waterfront?

Do you remember the name of the restaurant for the King Crab lunch on the waterfront?

I don't rememember and I doubt that I ever noted the name. Mario took us there and we hailed a cab on the road between the restaurant and the water to take us to the Aero Club for our joy flight.

We were in most of those ports last February and March. Try to get together with those on your roll call so you can get tours out of town.

Go see penguins outside of Punta Arenas at Otway Sound. It is a long drive but worth it if you are there at the right time of year.

Go to Estancia Harberton outside of Ushuaia . There is a private island there where you will walk among 2 or 3 kinds of penguins.I cannot remember the name of it but maybe someone will chime in here. It is also a long drive but you will see absolutely beautiful country on the way.

Go to the waterfalls outside of Puerto Montt, Petrohue Falls. It is a moderate length ride out of town but you will go thru countryside and farmland that looks like rural Germany, not Chile. The volcano can be elusive to see...depends on the weather.

Punta Tombo near Puerto Madryn is another penguin breeding area. We saw thousands of them plus, rheas( like a small ostrich) and vincunas which are sort of like a llama. We wanted to go to the area where elephant seals could been seen but the road had washed out.

We did not go to Punta del Este.

We loved Montevideo. Very European feeling city. Right off the dock and across the street is a huge hall with many barbeque restaurants( parilladas) inside. The beef is incredible. Tender steaks, ribs, chops, lamb,sausages....if you are a meat lover , this is the place for you!.

The beers are enormous. We ordered 2 not realizing they are not 12 ounces like we would have at home. Each is a liter!! Luckily this was After our walking tour. Do take a walking tour, not just a cab ride. There are tourist police who will see to it that you do not stray into the"bad" areas. The architecture is amazing. There are lots of pedestrian walking streets with no cars. Be sure that you see the tomb where General Artigas who liberated Uruguay is buried , the Palacio Salvo - a wild-looking Art Deco building that is the second tallest in all South America, and spend some time in Ciudad Viejo(old town) .

Get a guide book( I like Fodors South America) they have decent info on sights to see, places to eat and maps that are small enough to make copies of and keep in your pocket. Get some money for each country that you visit!!! They will accept dollars in larger places( not the smaller vendors) but you will get change back in that countries currency.

Have a great time.I don't know your age but I am 63 and I had no problems anywhere . I would go back in a heartbeat, myself.:D

Sue

Edited by Momis2

• 2 months later...

hello everyone.

we will be part of a group in the ship that sails jan 18th from santiago chile.

we all plan to take the princess excusrions and pick our own. while my husband is taking the penguin tour at punta arenas, i have no interest in penguins so we will split up.

can anyone comment on these:

Puerto Mont

Alerce Forest Eco-Walk & German Museum

Punte Arenas

DH : Otway Sound Penguin Colony

me:Patagonia Trek & Andean Club and then just hang out in the city.

Ushuaia

Tierra Mayor Natural Reserve Trek

Falkland (Stanley)

Town & Country Trek

Puerto Madryn

On our own by feet/taxi/shuttle

Montevideo

On our own, just doing the city

anyone done these? comments?

$US 150?? R U crazy? this means a lot in Argentina, about 900 pesos argentinos, it's expansive 4 a tour

Montevideo.

You berth in the old town. This part of town is a little run-down but safe & interesting.

Easy enough to walk to the centre & on to the Parliament building.

Or share a van at the port to cover a lot more ground, including churches, the wagon monument, soccer stadium & beach area amongst other places. Don't recall the cost, but inexpensive, & an English-speaking guide.

As Momis' post, opposite the port gate there's a warehouse converted to an atmospheric open-plan court of restaurants & bars - impossible to resist superb char-grilled steaks. If you have a steak there & are hungry again by dinner-time, don't order steak on-board - I guarantee it'll disappoint. Regardless of which ship you're on.

A few shops in the area too, though the "Tango museum" was little more than a range of posters.

A very pleasant little area to chill or meander 'til ten minutes before back-on-board time.

I doubt Montevideo will wow you, but a very worthwhile port-of-call.

Sorry, can't help with the others, we were sailing the other way.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull