need help planning DIY land itinerary for 8 days and nights on the Kenai Peninsula

allisons

Where are you reading "all this stuff about Homer being the art capital of Alaska?" There are many more artists, artisans and galleries in Anchorage or Fairbanks than Homer. Yes, I think you are going to be disappointed. People visit the Kenai to go fishing. Homer is a beautiful place, and I love the community, but the vast majority of visitors are there to go fishing.

Oh no! Should we not go at all?! Should we go somewhere else?! We encountered so many non-fishing people who were going to Homer??

What about the Driftwood Inn's modern lodges? They look much nicer than the Lands End, and they're less expensive. They seem to have full bay views. It's downtown instead of on the spit, which is better?

Those are essentially HOUSES which they rent out rooms. Kind of a B & B without the B. You are sharing the house with other people-you just get a private bedroom and bath. Driftwood Inn is NOT downtown-it is on Bishop's Beach. Downtown is DOWNTOWN. There are NO ocean views for what I would consider downtown-along Pioneer Ave where all the shops are.

What are you looking at for Land's End? Land's End IS expensive, no doubt about it. The Midship Bay rooms are the best for the money. Stay away from the Starboard Suites-new two story building WITHOUT an elevator (why you would build a new 2 story building with no elevator is beyond me). The Port City rooms and any of them with City are in the old building which has been refurbished. That building has always given me the creeps. Just too dark, too dingy for what they charge.

You can rent one of the one bedroom condos on the first floor with kitchen and walk right out the door onto the beach for just about what the hotel rooms cost. DEFINITELY not what Driftwood Inn is-these are all privately owned condos furnished by the owners with some of the newest ones priced at over $1,000,000. Sure glad we bought when we did.

There are LOTS of places to stay in Homer from B & B's to hotels to rental condos. You have to narrow down what you want. Did you take a look at Sea Lion? If it is available, you really can't go wrong. There IS parking for guests.

Here is a look at the Homer 2013 Visitors Guide. Do you see ANYTHING about art? NOPE-the is NOT the primary focus in Homer.

http://homeralaska.com/

While Homer may be the art capital of Alaska, I think you may definitely have the wrong idea. There are not rooms and rooms full of paintings/sculpture/etchings. There are SMALL places which have paintings, sculpture, a lot of native Alaska carvings, hand crafted baskets, etc. etc. MOST are downtown Homer.

LOTS of people in Alaska create crafts and paint. Got to do something over the long winters. Do they sell in a "gallery" as I think of a gallery (NY/LA, even KC or Des Moines)? NO, they sell their stuff in small shops which generally have everything from paintings to carved ivory to junk from China (got to pay the bills somehow and most people are NOT spending $1000 and up for something on vacation in Alaska but they will buy the cheaper junk). This place probably has the widest selection in Homer and is the largest but much more a store than what I would call a gallery.

http://www.ptarmiganarts.com/

Sea Lion on the Spit is much more elegant but they also make money not only on their crafts and paintings but on their apartments to keep the doors open. If all the artists in Homer totally depended on the tourist trade to survive and only sold their own stuff, the stores/galleries would close in a hot second. Homer is a FISHING town with a left over 1960's California attitude. Art is definitely secondary even though some would like to make it something more than it truly is.

Yikes! I'm getting very concerned! We'll have to re-think! Hmm . . .

Foolish!!!

Windshield get broken EVERY day in Alaska. Just drive into the lookout above Homer and you will kick up rocks. Be behind the first person pulling into the lookout and you could have a broken windshield.

Tree limbs are another thing people never think about if they are not used to driving a tall vehicle. You can rip the AC or antennas/satellite dish off an RV very easily.

Overhangs on buildings are another thing. There is a great picture hanging in Mickey D's in Homer. Someone tried to take their rented RV through the drive up. Ripped off the AC, ripped down the overhang from the drive up. Did considerable damage to the RV and left Mickey D's without a covered drive through for about 6 weeks.

Just too much stuff can happen. If you happen to have an extra $2500 laying around, you can send it my way. Otherwise, get the insurance.

We do have the insurance. Full insurance. The only difference is the deductible. I'm not explaining it right.

Oh no! Should we not go at all?! Should we go somewhere else?! We encountered so many non-fishing people who were going to Homer??

Most are NOT going to look at art galleries. They are going to enjoy the scenery, take the water taxi to Seldovia, wander around the Spit, go to the Marina, watch the catch come in every afternoon, wander down to the water and watch the otters (one of my favorite things to do). Homer is all about scenery and the "vibe".

There is definitely now a "downtown" and the Spit way of thinking in Homer.

They have tried to make "downtown" all artsy craftsy and upscale. The Spit is just the Spit-hasn't changed much in 20 years. Still the gritty, funky, fishing village atmosphere sprinkled in with "new and upscale".

One of our closest friends road his motorcycle to Homer in 1968 from California. He spent his time sleeping on the beach, carousing, working on a couple of fishing boats and drinking at the Salty Dog. We took him back to Alaska with us in 2006. He was utterly amazed at all the "upscale" stuff on the Spit. He said it was better in 1968.

Homer still has that late 60's hippie atmosphere. I sure hope they don't change it too much more or I won't like it much. Homer Alaska and Phnom Penh Cambodia-my two favorite places in the world. Such disparity but so much alike underneath.

This sounds great! I think we'll love it!

Those are essentially HOUSES which they rent out rooms. Kind of a B & B without the B. You are sharing the house with other people-you just get a private bedroom and bath. Driftwood Inn is NOT downtown-it is on Bishop's Beach. Downtown is DOWNTOWN. There are NO ocean views for what I would consider downtown-along Pioneer Ave where all the shops are.

What are you looking at for Land's End? Land's End IS expensive, no doubt about it. The Midship Bay rooms are the best for the money. Stay away from the Starboard Suites-new two story building WITHOUT an elevator (why you would build a new 2 story building with no elevator is beyond me). The Port City rooms and any of them with City are in the old building which has been refurbished. That building has always given me the creeps. Just too dark, too dingy for what they charge.

You can rent one of the one bedroom condos on the first floor with kitchen and walk right out the door onto the beach for just about what the hotel rooms cost. DEFINITELY not what Driftwood Inn is-these are all privately owned condos furnished by the owners with some of the newest ones priced at over $1,000,000. Sure glad we bought when we did.

There are LOTS of places to stay in Homer from B & B's to hotels to rental condos. You have to narrow down what you want. Did you take a look at Sea Lion? If it is available, you really can't go wrong. There IS parking for guests.

We want a nice, clean place to stay for a reasonable price with a water view.

Most are NOT going to look at art galleries. They are going to enjoy the scenery, take the water taxi to Seldovia, wander around the Spit, go to the Marina, watch the catch come in every afternoon, wander down to the water and watch the otters (one of my favorite things to do). Homer is all about scenery and the "vibe".

That sounds amazing! Perfect! Exactly what we'd want to do! Lovely!

We do have the insurance. Full insurance. The only difference is the deductible. I'm not explaining it right.

IF you want to pay the deductible if you break the windshield, go right ahead. I think you are VERY foolish unless the cost for the CDW is more than about $25.00 per day. One low hanging tree limb and you will be paying for an AC if you are not paying strict attention. You are NOT driving around LA, NJ, Dallas, Atlanta. You are driving around in Alaska with loose gravel on the roads, tree limbs hanging low in a lot of places and animals all over the place. Neighbors just replaced the AC in their motor home-$1874 with tax in Arizona. I bet it would be closer to $2500 in Alaska. We even have glass coverage on our old beat up pickup in Alaska because we usually break or crack a windshield every year. The replacement cost because it IS Alaska is high.

We want a nice, clean place to stay for a reasonable price with a water view.

MOST REASONABLE price right on the water is Sea Lion. Kitchen included so you can make your own breakfast and lunch. BUT as I posted, only two rooms. They fill up fast.

Otherwise, what is reasonable to you???

I had a rear windshield on a pick up fall out of its place and land in the bed of the truck. Relatively new truck. The road was paved but had a few bumbs about 50 miles north of Wasilla.

It was pouring rain.

I pulled over at a road house to check on the damage. I dried off the frame of the window and the edges of the window and put duck tape here and there to hold the window in place.

Typical Alaska. The cost of the repairs was all mine.

I always have 2 spare tires as well. Have had 2 flats on the same trip.

IF you want to pay the deductible if you break the windshield, go right ahead. I think you are VERY foolish unless the cost for the CDW is more than about $25.00 per day. One low hanging tree limb and you will be paying for an AC if you are not paying strict attention. You are NOT driving around LA, NJ, Dallas, Atlanta. You are driving around in Alaska with loose gravel on the roads, tree limbs hanging low in a lot of places and animals all over the place. Neighbors just replaced the AC in their motor home-$1874 with tax in Arizona. I bet it would be closer to $2500 in Alaska. We even have glass coverage on our old beat up pickup in Alaska because we usually break or crack a windshield every year. The replacement cost because it IS Alaska is high.

At this point, I don't want to add any non-refundable costs to the reservation. Since I hope and assume we will cancel it. But if we keep it, we'll take our chances. $2500 is not the end of the world, we wouldn't want to pay the extra fee.

MOST REASONABLE price right on the water is Sea Lion. Kitchen included so you can make your own breakfast and lunch. BUT as I posted, only two rooms. They fill up fast.

Otherwise, what is reasonable to you???

Okay! I'll check it out! Thanks! :)

I had a rear windshield on a pick up fall out of its place and land in the bed of the truck. Relatively new truck. The road was paved but had a few bumbs about 50 miles north of Wasilla.

It was pouring rain.

I pulled over at a road house to check on the damage. I dried off the frame of the window and the edges of the window and put duck tape here and there to hold the window in place.

Typical Alaska. The cost of the repairs was all mine.

I always have 2 spare tires as well. Have had 2 flats on the same trip.

Oh my! That's awful!

Where are you reading "all this stuff about Homer being the art capital of Alaska?" There are many more artists, artisans and galleries in Anchorage or Fairbanks than Homer. Yes, I think you are going to be disappointed. People visit the Kenai to go fishing. Homer is a beautiful place, and I love the community, but the vast majority of visitors are there to go fishing.

Here are just a few of the places I've read about the Homer art scene:

1. Homer Chamber of Commerce

http://www.homeralaska.org/visit-homer/arts

Arts

You won’t have to ask yourself "is there anything to do tonight"? but rather "what shall I choose tonight?". Homer provides opportunities for everyone to experience and participate in the arts. Listed in John Villani's book 'The 100 Best Small ART TOWNS in America” Homer is known as Alaska’s Art Capital and for good reason.

Throughout the year you will find yourself making choices between performance, visual and literary art. Homer's outstanding community thespians perform regularly at Pier One Theatre. Sometimes it is a musical comedy by a local playwright; other nights you will be moved to tears and laughter by performances of classic or new "edgy" plays. Locals especially love applauding their friends and neighbors who volunteer their time to enrich our cultural life. The Mariner Theater at the Homer High School is another focal point for community cultural events during the year, including the annual Nutcracker performance in December. The Kenai Peninsula Orchestra, as well as school bands and choruses, perform in the Mariner Theater.

World-class art galleries and artist studios abound in our community. You will find paintings in oil, watercolor and octopus ink, along with creations from clay, fiber, beads, paper and glass. Most galleries participate in the monthly 'First Friday' which often includes an opportunity to meet the artists, and participate in a discussion of their work.

Local museums and interpretive centers bring natural history and native culture alive with state of the art technology and award winning exhibits. The Pratt Museum, a community museum of art, science and culture, won the National Award for Museum Service in 2005. The Pratt hosts indoor exhibits of art; natural history; native cultures; homesteading, including quilts; fishing; marine ecology, with live aquaria; and the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Live remote video shows seabirds at a rookery in Kachemak Bay. Special events are held throughout the year and include lectures, cultural events, educational programs and community discussions. The Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies is a non-profit educational organization that offers a hands-on experience in Kachemak Bay's diverse and productive environment for visitors of all ages. The Alaska Islands & Ocean Visitor Center provides visitors with an introduction to the rich environment and inhabitants of Kachemak Bay.

Do you love the literary arts, poetry or fiction? Authors have lots of opportunities including small local writers groups and workshops, community-wide writing contests, an annual writers conference and small, impromptu meetings with visiting authors.

Visit Homer, it’s an ARTRAGEOUS place to play!

2. Homer 2013 Visitors Guide

http://homeralaska.com/sections/Art_Galleries.shtml

Gather some inspiration

We can't prove it, but Homer might have more art galleries per capita than any community its size anywhere. Its reputation as an arts town has been recognized by John Villani, author of "The 100 Best Art Towns in America, who called it "funky and charming — an art town on the rise."

In addition to exhibiting the work of veteran and emerging artists from Homer and beyond, these galleries display the entrepreneurial spirit that is at the heart of Homer's economy.

If you're in Homer on the First Friday of the month — any month — you'll want to take part in the events the galleries host. First Friday is when the galleries change their exhibits. Often artists will give talks during these First Friday receptions, providing opportunities to learn more about their work. You'll be treated to experiences in traditional Native arts, fiber, glass, jewelry, painting, sculpture, photography and ceramics. First Friday is a happening social scene as artists, residents and visitors mingle, talk art and share new ideas. Galleries include Bunnell Street Arts Center and the Ring of Fire Meadery on Bunnell Avenue in Old Town, and Art Shop Gallery, Picture Alaska art gallery, Ptarmigan Arts Gallery, Fireweed Gallery and the Homer Council on the Arts, all on Pioneer Avenue. The Pratt Museum on Bartlett Street also has exhibits, as do many restaurants, coffee shops and other businesses.

On the Spit, check out The Sea Lion Fine Art Gallery, Inua and other art shops.

The Ben Firth Studio at Mile 161 Sterling Highway highlights sculptures in antler, wood and bronze, glass etchings and paintings by this talented family of artists. Access to Norman Lowell Gallery is across Sterling Highway from Ben Firth Studio. Lowell and his wife, Libby, homesteaded this area in 1958. The gallery showcases Lowell's lifetime collection of 250 original works.

Kate's Gallery at Mile 148 Sterling Highway features the beadwork of Kate Boyan. Having learned her art from Tlingit beader Mary Choate, Boyan creates one-of-a-kind designs that adorn leather bags, clothing and jewelry.

Art is also a big part of the economy of Halibut Cove, across Kachemak Bay from Homer.

3. Alaska Tour & Travel

http://www.alaska.com/homer/

Homer

From artsy to outdoorsy, Homer offers variety

By Carey Restino

Homer’s reputation as an artistic hotspot and a halibut haven precedes it, but defining this end-of-the-road town by those features is shortsighted. While both fish and fine art can be found in ample supply here, there’s far more going on in the town dubbed “the cosmic hamlet by the sea.”

Regardless of interests, most visitors are spellbound on arrival in Homer by the scenic vista of mountains, glaciers, and the five-mile-long Homer Spit, which juts into Kachemak Bay. There you will find a plethora of businesses catering to visitors of all persuasions, from outdoor enthusiasts looking for kayak tours in Kachemak Bay State Park to those wishing to enjoy sea-fresh oysters topped with extraordinary sunsets.

It is from the Spit that you will also access fishing charters that will take you in search of Homer’s world-class halibut fishing and the chance to win thousands through the Homer Halibut Fishing Derby. Salmon and other species run in these waters, too, and there’s ample opportunity to pursue them all.

For those more interested in exploring on terra firma, water taxis are available to take you across Kachemak Bay to explore the park, which is home to dozens of hiking trails of all levels of difficulty. Cabins can be rented and camping options are plentiful.

In town, you will find amenities, restaurants, art galleries, museums and the Islands and Ocean Visitor Center for the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, which houses a wide array of displays and educational opportunities about the remote Aleutian Chain park, an often-unseen part of Alaska.

From the visitor center, you can amble down an easy path to Bishop’s Beach and Homer’s old town area, where bakeries, restaurants and galleries are housed in some of the area’s historic buildings. A walk on the beach also comes well recommended, and your chances of seeing an eagle flying overhead and an otter bobbing in the waves are high.

In the center of town, Pioneer Avenue provides a host of interests. The Pratt Museum offers a look at the area’s history, from its Native cultures to its early settlers. Numerous art galleries, shops, restaurants and a fantastic bookstore round out the area’s offerings

Homer is also a hub for communities that ring Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet, from Anchor Point, with its world-renowned fishing, to Halibut Cove and Seldovia’s beautiful water-influenced communities. And the off-season opportunities, from cross-country skiing to events like the annual Nutcracker Ballet, are extraordinary. Any time of year, there’s ample entertainment and interest to be found on the shores of Kachemak Bay.

4. Homer Council on the Arts

http://www.homerart.org/

As I posted previously, there are some in Homer who want to make the "art scene" a lot more than it truly is.

There is a lot of "artsy" stuff in the winter-got to have something to do.

When they count the most "art galleries" in this area, they are counting people that work in their garages, paint in their sunrooms or have added a room/studio to their house and do whatever art they do.

The Homer guide is put out by the Homer Chamber of Commerce. As I posted, there are some who work for the Chamber or are actively involved in promoting Homer that want to make things more than they are. Ask some of the people that docked in Homer last year on the HAL ship. The hype from the Chamber was a lot more than the reality. The reality is a gritty, funky little town whose main business is scenery and fishing and some artists who sell their work.

As I posted previously, there are some in Homer who want to make the "art scene" a lot more than it truly is.

There is a lot of "artsy" stuff in the winter-got to have something to do.

When they count the most "art galleries" in this area, they are counting people that work in their garages, paint in their sunrooms or have added a room/studio to their house and do whatever art they do.

The Homer guide is put out by the Homer Chamber of Commerce. As I posted, there are some who work for the Chamber or are actively involved in promoting Homer that want to make things more than they are. Ask some of the people that docked in Homer last year on the HAL ship. The hype from the Chamber was a lot more than the reality. The reality is a gritty, funky little town whose main business is scenery and fishing and some artists who sell their work.

Very interesting! That makes sense! I did find that most things in Alaska (hotels, restaurants, etc.) looked much nicer on websites than in reality! Ha ha! ;)

Looked at this thread because we're going to Katmai and Denali next June.

I just have one thing to say....I've learned not to stress about planning a "perfect" vacation, not to worry what else I could have been doing, but to enjoy the trip I'm on.

My $0.02.

Looked at this thread because we're going to Katmai and Denali next June.

I just have one thing to say....I've learned not to stress about planning a "perfect" vacation, not to worry what else I could have been doing, but to enjoy the trip I'm on.

My $0.02.

That is such good advice! Now if I could only follow it! ;)

Archived