need help planning DIY land itinerary for 8 days and nights on the Kenai Peninsula

allisons

I need help planning a DIY land itinerary for 8 days and nights on the Kenai Peninsula. Thank you in advance for your assistance. You all helped me so much in shaping our itinerary for this year. I know that you will be able to help me plan next year's itinerary also.

RV or car/hotels?? - This year we rented a car and stayed in hotels. It mostly worked out well for us. We were able to take advantage of buy-one-night-get-one-night-free coupons in Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks and a percentage discount in Seward. Even so, we were shocked at the high prices and low quality of hotels in Alaska. We saw lots of people with rental RVs. My husband really wants to rent an RV for next year. We got a little sick of constantly checking in, schlepping in the suitcases, living out of suitcases, packing up, schlepping out the suitcases, checking out, leaving the suitcases in the car all day, etc. I struggled with my bladder making it in between bathrooms on the highway and with dealing with some of the non-plumbed bathrooms in/around Denali. However, I'm concerned about us renting an RV. We've never even been in an RV before. We wouldn't be comfortable with self-contained camping. We'd need to be in an RV park with full hook-ups every night. I'm also concerned about us driving the RV around town from place to place and activity to activity during the day. I'm worried if it's nimble enough and if there's ample parking. They say it's very doable for RV novices, is it really?

Which towns?? - This year we visited Seward. We loved it, but I doubt we'll go back next year. We definitely want to stay in Homer and Kenai. Should we also stay in Soldotna? What about Hope, Cooper Landing, Sterling, Nikiski, Kasilof, Clam Gulch, Ninilchik, and Seldovia? Should we stay in any of those towns? Or just visit for the days?

What activities?? - We are not interested in fishing. What activities would you recommend and where? Cruises similar to the Kenai Fjords and Prince William Sound cruises? Ferry boats? Sea kayaking? Others? Any and all suggestions welcome, other than fishing.

Kodiak?? - Is it feasible to make a day trip to Kodiak to see the bears? If so, how do we get there? Fly, and if so, out of which town? Boat, and if so, out of which town? Any recommendations of tour providers? We really want to do this. We want a close encounter with bears. Our bear trek in Hoonah was a bust. We saw bears from the train in Skagway and from the bus in Denali, but it's not the same.

What else?? - What else did I miss? What did I not cover? I'm sure there are other questions I haven't thought of yet. I just want to get a general grasp on the big picture of where to stay and for how many nights in each place. Once I have that nailed down, then I'll start doing research in ernest and fine tuning all of the daily details.

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate any help! These message boards are so helpful! We're also looking through all of our guidebooks, but you guys are even better!

Hi allisons - welcome home! Really enjoyed your review, the style was perfect hitting all the high points, loved the format you used.

Since your are interested in Homer, let me tell you about our experience this past June. We rented a house in Homer, out East End Road (around mile 12) called "Walkabout Cottage" (google it) - we booked thru Homeaway.com and had a fantastic experience there - would HIGHLY recommend!!! The cottage is beautiful, the views are stunning from the two decks - two glaciers and Kachemak Bay at your feet. We stayed there for a week and wished we had been able to stay longer. The cost was very reasonable and there was so much to see and do in Homer we didn't have time for it all!

You can take flights from Homer to see bears at Katmai if interested. We flew with Steller Air to Dick Proenneke's cabin on Twin Lakes (if you aren't familiar with Mr. Proenneke, you can see a documentary about his life "Alone in the Wilderness" which airs on PBS often. Google his name and read about his amazing life building a cabin w/hand tools only out in Lake Clark area, living there alone into his late 80's/early 90's - incredible!). That flight was the highlight of our trip for my husband who is a big fan. Truly once in a lifetime experience.

One day we took a ferry over to the small town of Seldovia and spent our time there after a delicious lunch at one of the restaurants in town, beach combing for beach glass in a deserted area - wonderful! We walked the Spit, and picked up fresh seafood from the co-op every day to fix for dinner - a week straight of fresh halibut, sweet and delicious (and huge!) crab legs, Kachemak Bay oysters, clams, salmon, etc. We ate so much seafood, we feared getting Gout - LOL! Cooking up our dinner each night on the grill at the cottage, eating on the deck enjoying the view - well, it doesn't get much better than that! Nancy, the owner of the cottage, was a joy and pleasure to deal with - if you choose to stay there, please tell her that Lynda and Gary sent ya!

DH went on a guided walk-in King Salmon fishing trip while in Homer - and jackpot, he scored a small jack King that we had fresh that evening for dinner. Neither of us are big salmon fans, but oh my, that fish was SO good! He went with Silverfin Guiding Service, and his guide was Gary - very knowledgeable and got him on the fish.

The Pratt Museum was so worth the almost 2 hours we spent there - really terrific, interesting and informative displays. We also went to the Islands and Ocean center and enjoyed the exhibits and outdoor walking path thru the wetlands. Saw a ton of moose while in Homer - they are everywhere, as are the bald eagles! Watched rafts of sea otters right off the Spit quite often. I had wanted to go horseback riding while in Homer, but there just wasn't time - next time for sure! There are plenty of kayak opportunities in Homer, and of course, Halibut fishing if you are interested.

Stop at the Fritz Creek General Store/Post office for wonderful food and such a cool, laid back atmosphere.

The drive down the Kenai Peninsula was an adventure and a terrific experience - we used the Milepost (invaluable) and saw so many beautiful sights using the guide. The drive into Homer is spectacular, with stunning views at every turn. We too didn't want to be bothered packing and unpacking each night, so after our three nights in the Denali area, then two nights near Matanuska Glacier, a week stay in Homer - one of the most scenic and beautiful places on earth in our opinion - was MOST welcome and so very enjoyable.

Have fun planning and hope you find just the perfect trip for you. Good luck in your mission!

Hi allisons - welcome home! Really enjoyed your review, the style was perfect hitting all the high points, loved the format you used.

Since your are interested in Homer, let me tell you about our experience this past June. We rented a house in Homer, out East End Road (around mile 12) called "Walkabout Cottage" (google it) - we booked thru Homeaway.com and had a fantastic experience there - would HIGHLY recommend!!! The cottage is beautiful, the views are stunning from the two decks - two glaciers and Kachemak Bay at your feet. We stayed there for a week and wished we had been able to stay longer. The cost was very reasonable and there was so much to see and do in Homer we didn't have time for it all!

You can take flights from Homer to see bears at Katmai if interested. We flew with Steller Air to Dick Proenneke's cabin on Twin Lakes (if you aren't familiar with Mr. Proenneke, you can see a documentary about his life "Alone in the Wilderness" which airs on PBS often. Google his name and read about his amazing life building a cabin w/hand tools only out in Lake Clark area, living there alone into his late 80's/early 90's - incredible!). That flight was the highlight of our trip for my husband who is a big fan. Truly once in a lifetime experience.

One day we took a ferry over to the small town of Seldovia and spent our time there after a delicious lunch at one of the restaurants in town, beach combing for beach glass in a deserted area - wonderful! We walked the Spit, and picked up fresh seafood from the co-op every day to fix for dinner - a week straight of fresh halibut, sweet and delicious (and huge!) crab legs, Kachemak Bay oysters, clams, salmon, etc. We ate so much seafood, we feared getting Gout - LOL! Cooking up our dinner each night on the grill at the cottage, eating on the deck enjoying the view - well, it doesn't get much better than that! Nancy, the owner of the cottage, was a joy and pleasure to deal with - if you choose to stay there, please tell her that Lynda and Gary sent ya!

DH went on a guided walk-in King Salmon fishing trip while in Homer - and jackpot, he scored a small jack King that we had fresh that evening for dinner. Neither of us are big salmon fans, but oh my, that fish was SO good! He went with Silverfin Guiding Service, and his guide was Gary - very knowledgeable and got him on the fish.

The Pratt Museum was so worth the almost 2 hours we spent there - really terrific, interesting and informative displays. We also went to the Islands and Ocean center and enjoyed the exhibits and outdoor walking path thru the wetlands. Saw a ton of moose while in Homer - they are everywhere, as are the bald eagles! Watched rafts of sea otters right off the Spit quite often. I had wanted to go horseback riding while in Homer, but there just wasn't time - next time for sure! There are plenty of kayak opportunities in Homer, and of course, Halibut fishing if you are interested.

Stop at the Fritz Creek General Store/Post office for wonderful food and such a cool, laid back atmosphere.

The drive down the Kenai Peninsula was an adventure and a terrific experience - we used the Milepost (invaluable) and saw so many beautiful sights using the guide. The drive into Homer is spectacular, with stunning views at every turn. We too didn't want to be bothered packing and unpacking each night, so after our three nights in the Denali area, then two nights near Matanuska Glacier, a week stay in Homer - one of the most scenic and beautiful places on earth in our opinion - was MOST welcome and so very enjoyable.

Have fun planning and hope you find just the perfect trip for you. Good luck in your mission!

Wow! Thank you so much! This is so helpful! I really appreciate it! This gives me a huge head start in planning! Perhaps we will do the same thing and just stay the entire week in Homer! Everything seems relatively close together there! We could visit the other towns as day trips! We will definitely do the fly-in bear trip to Katmai! Good tip! Thanks again!

Before renting an RV in Alaska rent or borrow one of the same size in your home town and try out the driving, parking and have a serious look at the living arrangements.

Spend a couple nights in it, cook, clean it, spend time in it. Use the plumbing, take a shower or 2, practice pumping it out. Potty issues can drive you crazy if you don't have experience.

Then make your major decision.

Campgrounds with full hook ups are not our choice as we like to just park where they please.

Do not make your first RV driving experience be with a plan and a contract that you are stuck with for weeks and far from home!

Before renting an RV in Alaska rent or borrow one of the same size in your home town and try out the driving, parking and have a serious look at the living arrangements.

Spend a couple nights in it, cook, clean it, spend time in it. Use the plumbing, take a shower or 2, practice pumping it out. Potty issues can drive you crazy if you don't have experience.

Then make your major decision.

Campgrounds with full hook ups are not our choice as we like to just park where they please.

Do not make your first RV driving experience be with a plan and a contract that you are stuck with for weeks and far from home!

Good advice! My husband already thought of this! He's planning an RV weekend near home this fall! We'll see how it goes!

Good advice! My husband already thought of this! He's planning an RV weekend near home this fall! We'll see how it goes!

Yes, especially if you are close to home and the source of your borrowed/ rented RV.

My husband's weakness is backing up in an RV or even a large pick up. He hates to do that and is not good at it.

I enjoy RV cooking (shopping, planning etc) and don't mind at all being on duty for that. How do you feel about that?

For getting to Alaska use duffle bags rather than suitcases as they are easier to hide in your RV. You don't have room to live with suitcases.

Which towns?? - This year we visited Seward. We loved it, but I doubt we'll go back next year. We definitely want to stay in Homer and Kenai. Should we also stay in Soldotna? What about Hope, Cooper Landing, Sterling, Nikiski, Kasilof, Clam Gulch, Ninilchik, and Seldovia? Should we stay in any of those towns? Or just visit for the days?

I think the RV is a great way to go. True, as others have said you should try them out and get familiar with them. Once you do, you will learn that they are a great way to go because hotels are few and far between.

There are many campgrounds with hook-ups on the Kenai. Here is a great book on Alaska campgrounds: http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Alaskan-Camping-Alaska/dp/0974947164/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

It covers the whole state so, when you come back later to see more of the state, it will simplify your planning....;)

Now, for the towns:

Homer -definitely worth doing..

Kenai-unless you are into salmon fishing, there is not much there to see.

Should we also stay in Soldotna? is a larger town on the highway. It is a great place to pick up needed items and there is a lot that goes on there. It is a better place to visit than Kenai...IMHO.

Hope is a little village by the sea. It is a side trip and worth checking out.

Cooper Landing is a town on the highway you will have to pass through from time to time heading north or south. It is a town dedicated to fishing on the Kenai, tourist stuff etc. The Kenai Princess lodge in is Cooper Landing and is a good place for lunch sometime-or to stay a night of you get tired of the RV.

Sterling is a little town that takes about 10 minutes to drive through and there is not much there.

Nikiski is by Kenai and is mostly an oil town.

Kasilof is another little town of sumer cabins. Unless you like fishing in the Kasilof River, there is littlel to do.

Clam Gulch is a wayside that has camping. It has a famous beach that, at times of low tides is used for clamming. This year, the clam beds collapsed and the clamming stinks. It is a nice place to visit, but there is really nothing there byt a campground and a beach....

Ninilchik is a native village that is also a favorite clamming spot. They also have Halibut charters there if you are so inclined. Unless to go fishing you can check it out in about 1-2 hours at the max.

Seldovia is a town across the bay from Homer. The easiest way to get there is by water taxi. It is an interesting place as it is an artist community but it is isolated and there is no practical way to take the RV there.

What activities?? - We are not interested in fishing. What activities would you recommend and where? Cruises similar to the Kenai Fjords and Prince William Sound cruises? Ferry boats? Sea kayaking? Others? Any and all suggestions welcome, other than fishing.

Like I said, the Kenai Peninsula is best known for its fishing. If that does not grab you, there is little else to do. Sea kayaking is doable there from Homer, there are river runners in Cooper landing and you can take a water taxi to Seldovia.

It is possible to do 8 days down there without fishing, but it will be a stretch to keep yourselves busy for all of it. Of course, if you just like sitting in the woods relaxing, that is quite doable there.

We want a close encounter with bears.

No you do not....Trust me. Actually, the best way to get close to bears and remain alive-is to go to the Alaska Wildlife conservation center. They have bears there and the fences are pretty close. They have large mesh so you can get clean camera shots too. They are not wild bears, but they are in a safe viewing spot.

Any bear viewing trips are done from a safe location not up too close. I took my mother on a bear viewing excursion a few years ago and we viewed them from a boat we were never closer than maybe 30 feet from the bears.

Unless to go to McNiel River, which is by special lottery and a fly in trip, you will not be taken to view bears on the ground-unless you run into one by accident...then watch out!

I think most folks who rent an RV in Alaska are using an RV for the very first time. I had never been inside an RV before so I went to a local dealer and sat behind the wheel of a few different models. I wanted to get a feel for what size I'd be comfortable with before I commited. I was ok in the 22 and 25ft RV but when I was behind the wheel of a larger model I felt like I was driving a huge firetruck!

One of our party cancelled so there were 3 of us. I rented a 22ft unit from Great Alaska Holidays in Anchorage. It didn't have a bedroom. There was a pull-out couch, the dinette converted to a single bed and there was room for 2 in the bed over the cab. It was a good size for our little group of 3 women. I was a wreck driving it the first day but after that I was fine except driving around small parking lots and backing up. Be sure that the navigator practices hand signals and knows where to stand to be seen by the driver. Critical that you understand and see each other !

The RV was surprisingly easy to operate. There are gauges on the water tanks so you know when to fill or empty the fresh, grey and black water. The heater operates off a thermostat, the range is gas so just like a house. Dumping for the first time is awkward and you might need help from another camper at the dump site but by the 3rd time you're a pro and can provide assistance to other novices.

I assumed we would stay at campgrounds with utilities but we preferred the state or forest service campgrounds. It was easy enough to get along without hookups. The private campgrounds are mostly gravel parking lots whereas the govt sites were treed and lovely. By the end of our 2 weeks, we were even confident enough to boondock for our final night (no campground; just use a pullout along a road).

I think Alaska lends itself well to RV'g. I really enjoyed having a loose itinerary and not having to race off to the next hotel reservation. We put Denali at the start of the trip so Talkeetna and Denali were the only reservations. After that we winged it. It was nice to pull over along a river and make a lunch, or in the evening when it rained we sat in the RV playing cards and watched the fishing boats come and go at the Seward harbor, and every day we drove as far or as little as we wanted. On previous trips I had tent camped then hoteled when we needed to dry out .... the RV provided the best of both worlds.

BTW, I reserved in Dec and got an early bird rate, around $125 a night.

As for your itinerary, you really need to study the travel books and come up with a plan that supports your interests and priorities. When you decide on activities, that will determine how many nights to spend at each destination. Some people LOVE Homer, others find it overly commercialized. Some LOVE Valdez others find it boring. You need to learn for yourself which communities will support YOUR interests. You can do bear viewing trips from Homer and Soldotna. If bear viewing is a priority be sure to learn about the various viewing locations and when the peak periods are.

I highly recommend the Milepost as a resource for any Alaska road trip. Pick up an older edition on amazom for under $10. And I also suggest that you look at the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Go to the Top Questions and look for threads on RV rental, bear viewing, and the 2012 trip reports. Those reports will help you with itinerary suggestions.

Good luck!

p.s. Another good resource is http://kenaipeninsula.org/ Hopefully they still have the free visitor guide to send for.

We have driven a new RV motor home (Class C with slideout) from Winnebago in Iowa to Great Alaskan Holidays rental agency in Anchorage -- they ONLY rent brand new or 1 yr old motor homes. We participated in their special annual rental program in mid-May to rent a new one & drive it up to Alaska! (We are NOT RV owners and had not rented one before.) The company was fantastic to deal with. The motor home came fully outfitted and all we needed was our clothes and groceries!! Go to their website (http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com) & you can see the various floorplans. It is really nice to have a bathroom & refrigerator along for the ride!!!

We want to do the trip again, but for last 3 yrs have had grandkids graduating from high school & had to stay home. One idea we have considered for next year is to drive the motor home northbound from Iowa to Alaska, and after we turn it in, take a cruise southbound!

We stayed 2 days in Valdez and could have stayed longer -- such a gorgeous drive down to there, so consider going there and a nice campground across street from the boat docks!

We stayed 2 nights at a nice campground adjoining the Kenai Princess Lodge and got to use the dining room/jacuzzi etc. Some of the employees at Prin Lodge live in their campers at the campground.

We loved staying waterside in Seward -- city owns a large area of camping sites but you cannot reserve those ahead -- so we went on a Tuesday & had no problem finding a spot with water & elec. right next to water & watched a cruise ship sail out.

Unless to go to McNiel River, which is by special lottery and a fly in trip, you will not be taken to view bears on the ground-unless you run into one by accident...then watch out!

Where did you get that idea? Almost all the trips to the Katmai from Homer are "on the ground" bear viewing. The best IMHO is Hallo Bay. PRIVATE LAND in the middle of the Katmai. They live there from April until late September/early October. They have day trips and 1 night to a week trips. They KNOW where the bears are-you see bears all around a lot of the time.

IMHO, the BEST time to go is in late August-mid September. I have been to the Katmai at least 14 times and this is my favorite time to go. The silver salmon are running and the bears are "power feeding" to get ready for winter. They spend ALL DAY doing nothing but fishing in the ocean or the small streams. I have been there when we had to PUSH the plane down the beach because the bears were just thick on the beach and the pilot couldn't start the plane because he might startle the bears. I also sat on the beach less than 30 feet from 2 female 4 year olds who put on quite the show play wrestling/jumping around for well over 30 minutes.

FORGET going to Kodiak to see bears. In the summer, UNLESS you go to "bear camp" (3-5 days and NOT cheap), your chances of seeing a bear in Kodiak are SLIM. In fact, if you read the fine print, most of the tour operators in Kodiak FLY to the Katmai for their bear viewing trips. It is just too thickly wooded to see any bears except by chance. Munsey's Bear Camp is a great experience but pricey and will take 3-5 days at a minimum.

I will post more later. I co-own a condo in Homer and have been all over the area for about 10 years. Enjoy!!!

Yes, especially if you are close to home and the source of your borrowed/ rented RV.

My husband's weakness is backing up in an RV or even a large pick up. He hates to do that and is not good at it.

I enjoy RV cooking (shopping, planning etc) and don't mind at all being on duty for that. How do you feel about that?

For getting to Alaska use duffle bags rather than suitcases as they are easier to hide in your RV. You don't have room to live with suitcases.

My husband thinks he can drive it. We'll see!

I don't know how much cooking we'll do in the RV. We might eat breakfasts (cereal) and pack lunches (sandwiches) in the RV.

Duffel bags instead of suitcases?! Ugh! That might be a problem! Yikes!

I think the RV is a great way to go. True, as others have said you should try them out and get familiar with them. Once you do, you will learn that they are a great way to go because hotels are few and far between.

There are many campgrounds with hook-ups on the Kenai. Here is a great book on Alaska campgrounds: http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Alaskan-Camping-Alaska/dp/0974947164/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

It covers the whole state so, when you come back later to see more of the state, it will simplify your planning....;)

Now, for the towns:

Homer -definitely worth doing..

Kenai-unless you are into salmon fishing, there is not much there to see.

Should we also stay in Soldotna? is a larger town on the highway. It is a great place to pick up needed items and there is a lot that goes on there. It is a better place to visit than Kenai...IMHO.

Hope is a little village by the sea. It is a side trip and worth checking out.

Cooper Landing is a town on the highway you will have to pass through from time to time heading north or south. It is a town dedicated to fishing on the Kenai, tourist stuff etc. The Kenai Princess lodge in is Cooper Landing and is a good place for lunch sometime-or to stay a night of you get tired of the RV.

Sterling is a little town that takes about 10 minutes to drive through and there is not much there.

Nikiski is by Kenai and is mostly an oil town.

Kasilof is another little town of sumer cabins. Unless you like fishing in the Kasilof River, there is littlel to do.

Clam Gulch is a wayside that has camping. It has a famous beach that, at times of low tides is used for clamming. This year, the clam beds collapsed and the clamming stinks. It is a nice place to visit, but there is really nothing there byt a campground and a beach....

Ninilchik is a native village that is also a favorite clamming spot. They also have Halibut charters there if you are so inclined. Unless to go fishing you can check it out in about 1-2 hours at the max.

Seldovia is a town across the bay from Homer. The easiest way to get there is by water taxi. It is an interesting place as it is an artist community but it is isolated and there is no practical way to take the RV there.

Like I said, the Kenai Peninsula is best known for its fishing. If that does not grab you, there is little else to do. Sea kayaking is doable there from Homer, there are river runners in Cooper landing and you can take a water taxi to Seldovia.

It is possible to do 8 days down there without fishing, but it will be a stretch to keep yourselves busy for all of it. Of course, if you just like sitting in the woods relaxing, that is quite doable there.

No you do not....Trust me. Actually, the best way to get close to bears and remain alive-is to go to the Alaska Wildlife conservation center. They have bears there and the fences are pretty close. They have large mesh so you can get clean camera shots too. They are not wild bears, but they are in a safe viewing spot.

Any bear viewing trips are done from a safe location not up too close. I took my mother on a bear viewing excursion a few years ago and we viewed them from a boat we were never closer than maybe 30 feet from the bears.

Wow! This is so helpful! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Maybe 8 days on the Kenai Peninsula will not work. We are definitely not interested in fishing. I'll have to do more research. Maybe we will go back to Denali again also.

That's not my understanding about the bears. I've read reviews and seen pictures of people on land in the wild with bears. I think they fly into somewhere. I'll have to check.

I think most folks who rent an RV in Alaska are using an RV for the very first time. I had never been inside an RV before so I went to a local dealer and sat behind the wheel of a few different models. I wanted to get a feel for what size I'd be comfortable with before I commited. I was ok in the 22 and 25ft RV but when I was behind the wheel of a larger model I felt like I was driving a huge firetruck!

One of our party cancelled so there were 3 of us. I rented a 22ft unit from Great Alaska Holidays in Anchorage. It didn't have a bedroom. There was a pull-out couch, the dinette converted to a single bed and there was room for 2 in the bed over the cab. It was a good size for our little group of 3 women. I was a wreck driving it the first day but after that I was fine except driving around small parking lots and backing up. Be sure that the navigator practices hand signals and knows where to stand to be seen by the driver. Critical that you understand and see each other !

The RV was surprisingly easy to operate. There are gauges on the water tanks so you know when to fill or empty the fresh, grey and black water. The heater operates off a thermostat, the range is gas so just like a house. Dumping for the first time is awkward and you might need help from another camper at the dump site but by the 3rd time you're a pro and can provide assistance to other novices.

I assumed we would stay at campgrounds with utilities but we preferred the state or forest service campgrounds. It was easy enough to get along without hookups. The private campgrounds are mostly gravel parking lots whereas the govt sites were treed and lovely. By the end of our 2 weeks, we were even confident enough to boondock for our final night (no campground; just use a pullout along a road).

I think Alaska lends itself well to RV'g. I really enjoyed having a loose itinerary and not having to race off to the next hotel reservation. We put Denali at the start of the trip so Talkeetna and Denali were the only reservations. After that we winged it. It was nice to pull over along a river and make a lunch, or in the evening when it rained we sat in the RV playing cards and watched the fishing boats come and go at the Seward harbor, and every day we drove as far or as little as we wanted. On previous trips I had tent camped then hoteled when we needed to dry out .... the RV provided the best of both worlds.

BTW, I reserved in Dec and got an early bird rate, around $125 a night.

As for your itinerary, you really need to study the travel books and come up with a plan that supports your interests and priorities. When you decide on activities, that will determine how many nights to spend at each destination. Some people LOVE Homer, others find it overly commercialized. Some LOVE Valdez others find it boring. You need to learn for yourself which communities will support YOUR interests. You can do bear viewing trips from Homer and Soldotna. If bear viewing is a priority be sure to learn about the various viewing locations and when the peak periods are.

I highly recommend the Milepost as a resource for any Alaska road trip. Pick up an older edition on amazom for under $10. And I also suggest that you look at the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Go to the Top Questions and look for threads on RV rental, bear viewing, and the 2012 trip reports. Those reports will help you with itinerary suggestions.

Good luck!

p.s. Another good resource is http://kenaipeninsula.org/ Hopefully they still have the free visitor guide to send for.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! I'm so impressed that 3 women tackled an RV for the first time without a man!

Great Alaskan Vacations is who we're looking at. They do have the early-bird rate, which is $160/night, which is 50% off. They made it seem like it would be going away soon. It's interesting to hear that it lasted until December.

We have the 2013 Milepost that we bought for our trip this year. We're not planning on buying the 2014 Milepost. We figured that it would be fine to use the 2013 one. I agree that the Milepost is a must-have when doing DIY land in Alaska.

We have driven a new RV motor home (Class C with slideout) from Winnebago in Iowa to Great Alaskan Holidays rental agency in Anchorage -- they ONLY rent brand new or 1 yr old motor homes. We participated in their special annual rental program in mid-May to rent a new one & drive it up to Alaska! (We are NOT RV owners and had not rented one before.) The company was fantastic to deal with. The motor home came fully outfitted and all we needed was our clothes and groceries!! Go to their website (http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com) & you can see the various floorplans. It is really nice to have a bathroom & refrigerator along for the ride!!!

We want to do the trip again, but for last 3 yrs have had grandkids graduating from high school & had to stay home. One idea we have considered for next year is to drive the motor home northbound from Iowa to Alaska, and after we turn it in, take a cruise southbound!

We stayed 2 days in Valdez and could have stayed longer -- such a gorgeous drive down to there, so consider going there and a nice campground across street from the boat docks!

We stayed 2 nights at a nice campground adjoining the Kenai Princess Lodge and got to use the dining room/jacuzzi etc. Some of the employees at Prin Lodge live in their campers at the campground.

We loved staying waterside in Seward -- city owns a large area of camping sites but you cannot reserve those ahead -- so we went on a Tuesday & had no problem finding a spot with water & elec. right next to water & watched a cruise ship sail out.

Thank you very much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! Good tips!

I saw that drive-up deal on their website. It won't work for us, but it's a great deal. We too love that they have all new RVs. In fact, they don't even have the 2014 floor plans on their website yet, but they walked us through finding them on the Winnebago website.

We are cruising southbound after our land portion. This year, we cruised northbound and then did our land portion. It was nice getting off of the cruise and then having our adventure. This time, the cruise will be a good way to rest and relax from our adventure.

We'll definitely check out Valdez. We hadn't planned on driving over that far, but maybe we will. It sounds like we won't need the full time on the Kenai Peninsula. We would like to go visit Valdez, and it sounds lovely from your description.

That's a good tip about the campground adjacent to the Kenai Princess Lodge. We wouldn't have thought of that. Maybe we'll check it out. Sounds fun.

We loved Seward. We walked past the campground. It looked very nice. Despite how much we loved Seward, we probably won't go back so we can check out new places.

Where did you get that idea? Almost all the trips to the Katmai from Homer are "on the ground" bear viewing. The best IMHO is Hallo Bay. PRIVATE LAND in the middle of the Katmai. They live there from April until late September/early October. They have day trips and 1 night to a week trips. They KNOW where the bears are-you see bears all around a lot of the time.

IMHO, the BEST time to go is in late August-mid September. I have been to the Katmai at least 14 times and this is my favorite time to go. The silver salmon are running and the bears are "power feeding" to get ready for winter. They spend ALL DAY doing nothing but fishing in the ocean or the small streams. I have been there when we had to PUSH the plane down the beach because the bears were just thick on the beach and the pilot couldn't start the plane because he might startle the bears. I also sat on the beach less than 30 feet from 2 female 4 year olds who put on quite the show play wrestling/jumping around for well over 30 minutes.

FORGET going to Kodiak to see bears. In the summer, UNLESS you go to "bear camp" (3-5 days and NOT cheap), your chances of seeing a bear in Kodiak are SLIM. In fact, if you read the fine print, most of the tour operators in Kodiak FLY to the Katmai for their bear viewing trips. It is just too thickly wooded to see any bears except by chance. Munsey's Bear Camp is a great experience but pricey and will take 3-5 days at a minimum.

I will post more later. I co-own a condo in Homer and have been all over the area for about 10 years. Enjoy!!!

Great info! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Thanks in advance for posting more!

Maybe we should change the dates of our trip. Is August really that much better? We're currently scheduled July 4-27. But we can still easily change at this point.

Wow! This is so helpful! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Maybe 8 days on the Kenai Peninsula will not work. We are definitely not interested in fishing. I'll have to do more research. Maybe we will go back to Denali again also.

That's not my understanding about the bears. I've read reviews and seen pictures of people on land in the wild with bears. I think they fly into somewhere. I'll have to check.

Well, I appreciate that! As for the bears, I forgot about Katmai. But then , I, for one, don't like to think about getting that close to bears on land...McNeil River is an exception because of the situation and the heavy regulations involved in going there.

Most of the activities you are interested in are based in Seward and Homer. The rest of the Kenai is basically devoted to fishing (and even Seward and Homer you can do a lot of fishing)....

Good luck with your planning.

Well, I appreciate that! As for the bears, I forgot about Katmai. But then , I, for one, don't like to think about getting that close to bears on land...McNeil River is an exception because of the situation and the heavy regulations involved in going there.

Most of the activities you are interested in are based in Seward and Homer. The rest of the Kenai is basically devoted to fishing (and even Seward and Homer you can do a lot of fishing)....

Good luck with your planning.

Again, that is so helpful! We are definitely going back to Homer! Maybe we will go back to Seward after all! We did love it, and we can do different things next year!

Absolutely wonderful info being post on this thread! Wow! Quality info.

I really do enjoy planning, shopping for and doing RV and camp cooking. Not fancy but basic good stuff.

When I'm in an outdoor frame of mind I don't want to go to a restaurant or fuss around with a lot of people.

Perhaps its just me, but when I'm out exploring I don't want to be interrupted.

We have driven a new RV motor home (Class C with slideout) from Winnebago in Iowa to Great Alaskan Holidays rental agency in Anchorage -- they ONLY rent brand new or 1 yr old motor homes. We participated in their special annual rental program in mid-May to rent a new one & drive it up to Alaska! (We are NOT RV owners and had not rented one before.) The company was fantastic to deal with. The motor home came fully outfitted and all we needed was our clothes and groceries!! Go to their website (www.greatalaskanholidays.com) & you can see the various floorplans. It is really nice to have a bathroom & refrigerator along for the ride!!!

Great information! Thanks so much for sharing all this. I would LOVE to do that.

Absolutely wonderful info being post on this thread! Wow! Quality info.

I really do enjoy planning, shopping for and doing RV and camp cooking. Not fancy but basic good stuff.

When I'm in an outdoor frame of mind I don't want to go to a restaurant or fuss around with a lot of people.

Perhaps its just me, but when I'm out exploring I don't want to be interrupted.

I love to cook, but I can't imagine cooking in that tiny kitchen with that basic cookware. I'm a serious cook. I have a gourmet kitchen with high-end cookware. I'm thinking that the extent of the cooking I'll be doing in the RV will be prep.

I'm never in an "outdoor frame of mind." I always want to go to a restaurant. I'm getting nervous that this RV thing might not be for me. I wonder if we should do car/hotel instead.

I love to cook, but I can't imagine cooking in that tiny kitchen with that basic cookware. I'm a serious cook. I have a gourmet kitchen with high-end cookware. I'm thinking that the extent of the cooking I'll be doing in the RV will be prep.

I'm never in an "outdoor frame of mind." I always want to go to a restaurant. I'm getting nervous that this RV thing might not be for me. I wonder if we should do car/hotel instead.

So...I take it boiling up some Ramen for breakfast is out?:D

I actually can turn out some good meals in a tiny kitchen. Yes it is basic but generations of planning experience have gone into the RV kitchens from the good manufacturers.

I have some well tested recipes (there are many books on the subject).

I do not have a high end kitchen at home. Never had had that sort of kitchen. Wouldn't know what to do with one if I suddenly had one.

For us Alaska is the chance to get outside and to enjoy peace and quiet. Fresh air, etc. I'm glad that you are gathering info and doing the research as RVing is not for everyone.

Ha ha! I'm thinking that we have cereal, milk, yogurt, fruit, etc. for breakfast. And sandwiches, salads, granola bars, fruit, etc. for lunch. Maybe the size and functionality of the RV will surprise me and I'll actually cook dinners.

I actually can turn out some good meals in a tiny kitchen. Yes it is basic but generations of planning experience have gone into the RV kitchens from the good manufacturers.

I have some well tested recipes (there are many books on the subject).

I do not have a high end kitchen at home. Never had had that sort of kitchen. Wouldn't know what to do with one if I suddenly had one.

For us Alaska is the chance to get outside and to enjoy peace and quiet. Fresh air, etc. I'm glad that you are gathering info and doing the research as RVing is not for everyone.

Thank you for the helpful and thoughtful response. Do you cook in the kitchen, grill outside, or both? The RV comes with the option of renting a grill, but my husband said he wouldn't want it. He also doesn't want to rent lawn chairs. I don't think he wants to hang out much by the RV. I think he's just seeing it as a replacement for the car and hotel room. I think he still wants to eat meals out in restaurants. So we'll see how that goes.

I just want to comment on AKman2495's description of the Kenai Peninsula. He is correct in his descriptions of those communities. The major reason for folks to go to the Kenai Pen. is to go fishing. Since the OP in another thread described Fairbanks as having "nothing good to do there" they will not find many of these communities appealing. They may like Homer, but they won't find enough to do there to occupy eight days.

And while they may enjoy the drive into Valdez over Thompson Pass, people go to Valdez to either take a day cruise to either Columbia or Meares Glacier, or, dare I say it, go fishing (both sport and commercial). When there is a large (for Valdez) fish processing plant right downtown, that tells you that fishing is major operation there.

And Allison: Given your comments on the hotels where you stayed this summer I suspect that you may be stuck with an RV since there will be few hotels you will like. The condos associated with the Lands Inn Resort in Homer are a possibility, but we were just in Valdez earlier this month and I doubt you will be satisfied with the hotel options there.

A possibility for you to consider is driving to Valdez, and then scheduling the Alaska State Marine Highway (ie, ferry) from Valdez to Whittier. Then proceed to Homer for two days, or if you want to return to Denali, then either spend a night in Girdwood or head north directly.

Archived