need help planning DIY land itinerary for 8 days and nights on the Kenai Peninsula

allisons

[quote name='allisons']Thank you so much! That is a very thoughtful, insightful, and thorough response! It is extremely helpful to me! I greatly appreciate it!

I am very skeptical about us using the RV. My husband saw a bunch of people driving around rental RVs. Now he has it in his head that it's part of the Alaska vacation experience. He's thinking of it as a substitute for the car and hotel room, not for hanging out/camping/being outdoors.[/QUOTE]

It is definitely NOT a substitute for a car and hotel room. It IS your car and hotel room, one you will have to hookup and un hookup EVERY day if you want to go someplace.

Take a look at all the snowbirds with their RV's. ALL of them have a car hooked on the back. WHY?? SO they don't have to hook and unhook the RV when they want transport or to go out exploring.

IF you were going fishing where you essentially stay in one place or IF you were going from place to place one day at a time, the RV in Alaska is the way to go. BUT you want to explore the Homer area for a few days at least, then maybe Seward or Valdez for a few more days.

You HAVE NO transportation WITHOUT unhooking and rehooking your rented RV if you stay in one place. So that means you either rent a car in Homer to go sightseeing (there is a very good rental place in Homer locally owned by a young guy and his wife) or you use your RV for transport. But for what the RV is going to cost PLUS the rental car and all the gas (they get less than 10MPG), you can stay in the Land's End condos (top of the line-all privately owned but rented out) or anyplace else that suits your fancy.

NO external TRANSPORT is a REAL problem for what you want to do. I HATE unhooking my RV. While not difficult, that sewer hose can get REALLY nasty. AND you have to pick it up a little at a time to get it to thoroughly drain or there is sewer water in the hose and it gets all over when you put it away. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get either of mine PROPERLY disconnected-electric line put away, sewer hose drained and put away, water hose disconnected, drained and put away. And I don't use the jacks on either my motor home or my travel trailer (I should on my travel trailer because it COULD tip over but I don't-one of these days I will probably regret it). Jacking those jacks up and down if you have them on the RV takes another 10-15 minutes (there are 4 on my travel trailer).

Also think about parking that RV. MOST who have rental RV's in Alaska are NOT going out to restaurants to eat. They are cooking, grilling, sleeping in their RV's. They are socializing with others in the RV park. They also generally are NOT going to a lot of sightseeing places. They are enjoying the fresh air and beautiful scenery.

You would have a REAL hard time finding parking at Land's End on a weekend night if you went there for dinner (my condo is at Land's End). As I already posted, there is limited parking on the Spit in Homer. The Safeway has a big parking lot but the book store in downtown Homer (which has some really great Alaska reading) has a very small parking lot. The Homestead will generally have the same parking problems. And turning around in various places is NOT an option with an RV. So you can't just drive out East End Rd or through certain areas of Ninilchik and HOPE you can turn around anyplace as you can with a car. You have to keep driving until you find a wide enough spot in the road to turn around.

You brought up the bathrooms. Have you LOOKED at an RV bathroom like you may be renting? VERY small. The showers are miniscule. They are NOT made for a leisurely shower. They are made to get in, get wet, wash your hair very fast and get out. You have a limited hot water supply. And believe me, the water feeding in from the line at the RV park is VERY, VERY cold.

And the toilets-technically, you are NOT supposed to throw toilet paper in the toilet UNLESS you use bio degradable toilet paper (special made for RV's and boats). I use regular toilet paper and throw it in the toilet. I have also had to pull the toilet twice in the last 4 years. The stuff gets caught and your tanks won't drain. Then you have to go in from the top to get the toilet paper unstuck. Shouldn't happen in a week but I guess it could.

From everything you have posted, I think you will be totally MISERABLE trying to rent an RV and see what you want to see. I'd get the car and stay in couple of different hotels-3 days in Homer, a day or two in Soldotna, maybe a night at the Kenai Princess, Seward if you want and make your way to Valdez and take the ferry to Whittier. LEAVE your cruise luggage in the trunk of the car. Just take what you need in and out in a carryon when you check in and out. You can always retrieve more clothing from your car if you need it. JMHO

I agree w/Greatam, allisons, I just don't think an RV is for you. So just take my advice (see my first post) and rent a car, drive down to Homer, rent the Walkabout Cottage for a week (or just four days if that is your pleasure) and you'll be set. Google "Walkabout Cottage in Homer, AK" and check it out - the photos there don't even do it justice, truly a beautiful place! I think it would suit your needs perfectly - spectacular views, with the Homestead Rest. just down East End Road from the cottage, the Fritz Creek General Store less than 2 miles from the cottage, and the town of Homer/the Homer Spit just 12 miles away. The cottage is fully furnished, very clean and has all the comforts of home that you enjoy...did I mention the view from the deck right off the bedroom, and the view from the deck right off the living room;)??????? Nothing like your first morning cup of coffee out on the deck, just steps from your comfy bed overlooking the bay and two glaciers - heaven!

[quote name='Assateague Island Princes']I agree w/Greatam, allisons, I just don't think an RV is for you. So just take my advice (see my first post) and rent a car, drive down to Homer, rent the Walkabout Cottage for a week (or just four days if that is your pleasure) and you'll be set. Google "Walkabout Cottage in Homer, AK" and check it out - the photos there don't even do it justice, truly a beautiful place! I think it would suit your needs perfectly - spectacular views, with the Homestead Rest. just down East End Road from the cottage, the Fritz Creek General Store less than 2 miles from the cottage, and the town of Homer/the Homer Spit just 12 miles away. The cottage is fully furnished, very clean and has all the comforts of home that you enjoy...did I mention the view from the deck right off the bedroom, and the view from the deck right off the living room;)??????? Nothing like your first morning cup of coffee out on the deck, just steps from your comfy bed overlooking the bay and two glaciers - heaven![/quote]

[B]AIP,[/B] yes. I agree. With your experience in Alaska, you have it figured out.

As a person who has camped for over 40 years, I agree with AIP, I don't think camping is for you, and that is perfectly okay. You are wise to educate yourself before taking the plunge.

I am heading this weekend to a state park in Michigan with 4 adults and 3 children in a pop-up. My only requirement for camping is the campground must have showers. We usually have electricity, but rarely running water to our pop-up. Yes, I will use a campground shower. Frankly, eating out, in any star level of restaurant, scares me more than sharing a shower in a campground. I have food handler's certification and I find eating out very scary. We all have our own level of what we can tolerate.

Good luck with your decision. I hope both you and your husband can find the perfect solution for you.

[quote name='allisons']Wow! We will definitely do the fly-in bear trip to Katmai! Good tip! Thanks again![/quote]

Make sure you check when peak time is. These are expensive tours and you want to be there when the salmon and bears are there.

[quote name='PennyAgain']For a long time when Alaska was much less sophisticated than it is now, we did car camping. That means we cooked outside, used latrines or just the outdoors with or without privacy,, didn't shower much and slept in our Subaru. My elder sister and I did a lot of this and had a ball. We thought the port-a-pots at Denali NP were wonderful! An upgrade.

My husband never did car camping although we got him to do tent camping a few times (he didn't enjoy that much). We gave him the best of what we had, showed him great places.......... but

We over-exposed my husband to the outdoor life in Alaska. I think there is a lesson in this. He loves fine hotels, cruise ships, and the good life.

When I'm in Alaska I revert to my old ways either on my own or with family members minus husband.

I guess that we have a mixed marriage!

So [B]Allisons,[/B] do your studing and take your time about it. I know that you are a wise person. Make the decisions that work out for you and your husband which may well be hotels and a rental car or an RV that suits you.

I humor my husband by staying in really nice places when we travel together and he humors me by letting me have my wilderness time.

Let us know how it all goes for you.[/QUOTE]

Wow! That is very interesting! I can't even imagine that! I know for sure that "car camping" is not for me (nor is tent camping)!

[quote name='greatam']It is definitely NOT a substitute for a car and hotel room. It IS your car and hotel room, one you will have to hookup and un hookup EVERY day if you want to go someplace.

Take a look at all the snowbirds with their RV's. ALL of them have a car hooked on the back. WHY?? SO they don't have to hook and unhook the RV when they want transport or to go out exploring.

IF you were going fishing where you essentially stay in one place or IF you were going from place to place one day at a time, the RV in Alaska is the way to go. BUT you want to explore the Homer area for a few days at least, then maybe Seward or Valdez for a few more days.

You HAVE NO transportation WITHOUT unhooking and rehooking your rented RV if you stay in one place. So that means you either rent a car in Homer to go sightseeing (there is a very good rental place in Homer locally owned by a young guy and his wife) or you use your RV for transport. But for what the RV is going to cost PLUS the rental car and all the gas (they get less than 10MPG), you can stay in the Land's End condos (top of the line-all privately owned but rented out) or anyplace else that suits your fancy.

NO external TRANSPORT is a REAL problem for what you want to do. I HATE unhooking my RV. While not difficult, that sewer hose can get REALLY nasty. AND you have to pick it up a little at a time to get it to thoroughly drain or there is sewer water in the hose and it gets all over when you put it away. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get either of mine PROPERLY disconnected-electric line put away, sewer hose drained and put away, water hose disconnected, drained and put away. And I don't use the jacks on either my motor home or my travel trailer (I should on my travel trailer because it COULD tip over but I don't-one of these days I will probably regret it). Jacking those jacks up and down if you have them on the RV takes another 10-15 minutes (there are 4 on my travel trailer).

Also think about parking that RV. MOST who have rental RV's in Alaska are NOT going out to restaurants to eat. They are cooking, grilling, sleeping in their RV's. They are socializing with others in the RV park. They also generally are NOT going to a lot of sightseeing places. They are enjoying the fresh air and beautiful scenery.

You would have a REAL hard time finding parking at Land's End on a weekend night if you went there for dinner (my condo is at Land's End). As I already posted, there is limited parking on the Spit in Homer. The Safeway has a big parking lot but the book store in downtown Homer (which has some really great Alaska reading) has a very small parking lot. The Homestead will generally have the same parking problems. And turning around in various places is NOT an option with an RV. So you can't just drive out East End Rd or through certain areas of Ninilchik and HOPE you can turn around anyplace as you can with a car. You have to keep driving until you find a wide enough spot in the road to turn around.

You brought up the bathrooms. Have you LOOKED at an RV bathroom like you may be renting? VERY small. The showers are miniscule. They are NOT made for a leisurely shower. They are made to get in, get wet, wash your hair very fast and get out. You have a limited hot water supply. And believe me, the water feeding in from the line at the RV park is VERY, VERY cold.

And the toilets-technically, you are NOT supposed to throw toilet paper in the toilet UNLESS you use bio degradable toilet paper (special made for RV's and boats). I use regular toilet paper and throw it in the toilet. I have also had to pull the toilet twice in the last 4 years. The stuff gets caught and your tanks won't drain. Then you have to go in from the top to get the toilet paper unstuck. Shouldn't happen in a week but I guess it could.

From everything you have posted, I think you will be totally MISERABLE trying to rent an RV and see what you want to see. I'd get the car and stay in couple of different hotels-3 days in Homer, a day or two in Soldotna, maybe a night at the Kenai Princess, Seward if you want and make your way to Valdez and take the ferry to Whittier. LEAVE your cruise luggage in the trunk of the car. Just take what you need in and out in a carryon when you check in and out. You can always retrieve more clothing from your car if you need it. JMHO[/QUOTE]

Wow! This is very eye-opening! I can't thank you enough! Your response is incredibly thorough and thoughtful! It is truly helpful! I very much appreciate it! You've given me lots to think about! I've got to give my husband a reality check!

You've really hit the nail on the head of the main concern I've been raising to my husband all along. I'm very concerned that the RV isn't nimble enough for driving around sightseeing during the day. And that's it's too much of a pain in the butt to unhook it and rehook it every morning and night. It would work fine if we towed a car, but then we have both expenses, and we have a whole other learning curve driving an RV towing a car.

Is the shower smaller than a cruise ship cabin shower? We manage that just fine. I'm super concerned about the toilet. I'm not sure I can deal with it.

[quote name='Assateague Island Princes']I agree w/Greatam, allisons, I just don't think an RV is for you. So just take my advice (see my first post) and rent a car, drive down to Homer, rent the Walkabout Cottage for a week (or just four days if that is your pleasure) and you'll be set. Google "Walkabout Cottage in Homer, AK" and check it out - the photos there don't even do it justice, truly a beautiful place! I think it would suit your needs perfectly - spectacular views, with the Homestead Rest. just down East End Road from the cottage, the Fritz Creek General Store less than 2 miles from the cottage, and the town of Homer/the Homer Spit just 12 miles away. The cottage is fully furnished, very clean and has all the comforts of home that you enjoy...did I mention the view from the deck right off the bedroom, and the view from the deck right off the living room;)??????? Nothing like your first morning cup of coffee out on the deck, just steps from your comfy bed overlooking the bay and two glaciers - heaven![/QUOTE]

I looked at the cottage! It looks amazing! And the price is great! I'm seriously considering it!

[quote name='vbmom87']As a person who has camped for over 40 years, I agree with AIP, I don't think camping is for you, and that is perfectly okay. You are wise to educate yourself before taking the plunge.

I am heading this weekend to a state park in Michigan with 4 adults and 3 children in a pop-up. My only requirement for camping is the campground must have showers. We usually have electricity, but rarely running water to our pop-up. Yes, I will use a campground shower. Frankly, eating out, in any star level of restaurant, scares me more than sharing a shower in a campground. I have food handler's certification and I find eating out very scary. We all have our own level of what we can tolerate.

Good luck with your decision. I hope both you and your husband can find the perfect solution for you.[/QUOTE]

Light bulb! I never thought of renting an RV as "camping!" I know for sure that camping is out of the question for us! Now that I know that renting an RV is camping, I don't think that renting an RV is for us!

[quote name='vbmom87']Make sure you check when peak time is. These are expensive tours and you want to be there when the salmon and bears are there.[/QUOTE]

From what I've found online, each month is fine, they just take you to different places depending on which month it is.

I found this great chart on the NPS website that shows which location for each month:
[url]http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/bear-watching.htm[/url]

I found this live web cam of Brooks Falls, where we'd be taken since we're going in July:
[url]http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls[/url]

[quote name='allisons']From what I've found online, each month is fine, they just take you to different places depending on which month it is.

I found this great chart on the NPS website that shows which location for each month:
[url]http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/bear-watching.htm[/url]

I found this live web cam of Brooks Falls, where we'd be taken since we're going in July:
[url]http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls[/url][/QUOTE]

Each month is NOT fine. If you want to go to Brooks in July, fine. BUT be prepared for what I call the "zoo experience". You are on platform which MAY be closed due to bear activity. You MAY see a lot of bears but you may be "blocked off" because the bear activity is just "too much" at any given time. And a day trip is truly out of the question IMHO-the BEST is an overnight stay in Brooks. What happens if you are "blocked off" because the bear activity is "too much"? You see NOTHING.

Any other time in the Katmai, when the fish are NOT coming in, means the bears are in the flats/meadows and it may be a LOT of walking to see any bear. It is NOT a big thrill to see a bear feeding on berries/grass. They are "just there". I hated my trips where we had to walk through the meadows and the fields to find a bear. Nothing I would waste my money on again.

I highly recommend you take your trip in late August/early September. As I posted previously, the bears are THICK in the Katmai at the ocean and around the streams at that time. They are POWER FEEDING on the silver salmon in the oceans and streams to get ready for winter. The silvers don't start coming in generally until mid August/late August. There are LOTS of bears at that time. They need to get as many calories as possible to get through the LOOOOONG winter.

I highly recommend Hallo Bay in late August/early September. I think you should spend a night or two. They have a B & B in Homer which is strictly dedicated to their clients. Is not going to cost you much more than a couple of nights in a deluxe hotel in Homer other than the air fare. And you would be spending that anyway for a day trip.

Check it out-it is truly an experience of a lifetime. [url]www.hallobay.com[/url]

Putting aside the RV decision for now, here are two potential itineraries. Please weigh in.

potentital itinerary #1:
day 1 - fly into Anchorage
night 1 - Anchorage
day 2 - drive from Anchorage to Homer
night 2 - Homer
day 3 - sightseeing in Homer
night 3 - Homer
day 4 - fly-in bear viewing in Katmai National Park
night 4 - Homer
day 5 - drive from Homer to Girdwood
night 5 - Girdwood
day 6 - drive from Girdwood to Whittier, Portage Glacier, ferry from Whittier to Valdez
night 6 - Valdez
day 7 - sightseeing in Valdez
night 7 - Valdez
day 8 - drive from Valdez to Anchorage
night 8 - Anchorage
day 9 - train from Anchorage to Whittier, board Crown Princess

potential itinerary #2:
night 1 - Anchorage
day 2 - drive from Anchorage to Valdez
night 2 - Valdez
day 3 - sightseeing in Valdez
night 3 - Valdez
day 4 - ferry from Valdez to Whittier, Portage Glacier, drive from Whittier to Girdwood
night 4 - Girdwood
day 5 - drive from Girdwood to Homer
night 5 - Homer
day 6 - sightseeing in Homer
night 6 - Homer
day 7 - fly-in bear viewing in Katmai National Park
night 7 - Homer
day 8 - drive from Homer to Anchorage
night 8 - Anchorage
day 9 - train from Anchorage to Whittier, board Crown Princess

[quote name='greatam']Each month is NOT fine. If you want to go to Brooks in July, fine. BUT be prepared for what I call the "zoo experience". You are on platform which MAY be closed due to bear activity. You MAY see a lot of bears but you may be "blocked off" because the bear activity is just "too much" at any given time. And a day trip is truly out of the question IMHO-the BEST is an overnight stay in Brooks. What happens if you are "blocked off" because the bear activity is "too much"? You see NOTHING.

Any other time in the Katmai, when the fish are NOT coming in, means the bears are in the flats/meadows and it may be a LOT of walking to see any bear. It is NOT a big thrill to see a bear feeding on berries/grass. They are "just there". I hated my trips where we had to walk through the meadows and the fields to find a bear. Nothing I would waste my money on again.

I highly recommend you take your trip in late August/early September. As I posted previously, the bears are THICK in the Katmai at the ocean and around the streams at that time. They are POWER FEEDING on the silver salmon in the oceans and streams to get ready for winter. The silvers don't start coming in generally until mid August/late August. There are LOTS of bears at that time. They need to get as many calories as possible to get through the LOOOOONG winter.

I highly recommend Hallo Bay in late August/early September. I think you should spend a night or two. They have a B & B in Homer which is strictly dedicated to their clients. Is not going to cost you much more than a couple of nights in a deluxe hotel in Homer other than the air fare. And you would be spending that anyway for a day trip.

Check it out-it is truly an experience of a lifetime. [url]www.hallobay.com[/url][/QUOTE]

Hmm . . . This is a lot to think about. Thank you for the helpful information. I wouldn't want to push our trip back that far, because I wouldn't want our cruises to be in September. The latest available date in August for our second cruise is August 17th; therefore, the latest we could push this trip would be DIY land August 2-9, cruise #1 August 9-16, cruise #2 August 17-24.

Just an FYI-you CANNOT plan on only one day in Homer if you expect to go bear viewing in the Katmai. You MUST allow at least two days. Very often, the weather conditions are NOT good for getting you out of Homer on a little plane with only one day. The fog rolls in and no one can fly. I have waited three days (the most I have ever waited) to get out of Homer.

In fact, in 2006, I ended up spending $946 for a charter flight to get both of us out of Homer after my bear viewing trip was canceled repeatedly to FLY me to the ship we were boarding in Seward. A LOT of extra money but I either gave up my bear viewing trip or my cruise.

You also are NOT going to see much in Homer with ONE DAY. The town is worth at least 3 days, particularly if you are going bear viewing.

Something to think about.

[quote name='allisons']Hmm . . . This is a lot to think about. Thank you for the helpful information. I wouldn't want to push our trip back that far, because I wouldn't want our cruises to be in September. The latest available date in August for our second cruise is August 17th; therefore, the latest we could push this trip would be DIY land August 2-9, cruise #1 August 9-16, cruise #2 August 17-24.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with the cruise the first part of September? Sure, it gets dark earlier but port times are only until about 5PM as a general rule. After that, you go to dinner and maybe a show.

[quote name='greatam']Just an FYI-you CANNOT plan on only one day in Homer if you expect to go bear viewing in the Katmai. You MUST allow at least two days. Very often, the weather conditions are NOT good for getting you out of Homer on a little plane with only one day. The fog rolls in and no one can fly. I have waited three days (the most I have ever waited) to get out of Homer.

In fact, in 2006, I ended up spending $946 for a charter flight to get both of us out of Homer after my bear viewing trip was canceled repeatedly to FLY me to the ship we were boarding in Seward. A LOT of extra money but I either gave up my bear viewing trip or my cruise.

You also are NOT going to see much in Homer with ONE DAY. The town is worth at least 3 days, particularly if you are going bear viewing.

Something to think about.[/QUOTE]

Hmm . . . Thank you for this helpful information. Perhaps we should ditch the fly-in bear viewing in Katmai. And just use the extra day in Homer for sightseeing. And save money!

[quote name='greatam']What's wrong with the cruise the first part of September? Sure, it gets dark earlier but port times are only until about 5PM as a general rule. After that, you go to dinner and maybe a show.[/QUOTE]

We don't want to take any weather risks cruising in shoulder season. FYI, our port times are much later than that, for example, 8:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.

This thread has fantastic information! Yes most RVs are a variety of camping. I also enjoy other sorts of camping including a sleeping bag in a wee tent. See we are all in our own journeys. I've sat in fog at Homer as well.

Allison's follow your own star. Know what makes you happy. Us Old Girls sure do.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='PennyAgain']This thread has fantastic information! Yes most RVs are a variety of camping. I also enjoy other sorts of camping including a sleeping bag in a wee tent. See we are all in our own journeys. I've sat in fog at Homer as well.

Allison's follow your own star. Know what makes you happy. Us Old Girls sure do.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

You're right. There's tons of information that I never expected. I really thought the RV vs car/hotel thing was much more simple. I never thought about all of this RV/camping stuff.

Allisons, you really need to go to a local RV dealer and look at similar models to the ones you are thinking of renting in Alaska. Pick up brochures, walk around in units, talk to the sales people who are generally very good at explaning how it all works.

When you are 'hands on' it will really help you to sort things out.

I am generally in the go and park opinion. Not only do RV's have less efficient gas mileage than most cars, the parking and setting up takes time and effort. Personally I wouldn't decamp just to go to dinner.

In my own experience we tend to argue during these periods of transitition as they are the more stressful times.

Your field research in your home area will really help.

Okay. My husband and I went through the current Northern Lights and TourSaver coupon books. We are operating on the assumption that the coupon offers will stay the same next year, at least for the most part. We have revised our potential itineraries based on activities that we would be interested in each location. Please weigh in. Thanks!

potential itinerary #3:
night 1 - Anchorage
day 2 - drive from Anchorage to Cooper Landing
night 2 - Cooper Landing
day 3 - Kenai River Scenic Floating Trip, drive from Cooper Landing to Clam Gulch
night 3 - Clam Gulch
day 4 - Clam Digging Equipment Rental, cook/eat clam bake, drive from Clam Gulch to Homer
night 4 - Homer
day 5 - Wildlife Cruise of Katchemak Bay, Pratt Museum
night 5 - Homer
day 6 - Seldovia Bay Ferry from Homer to Seldovia, explore Seldovia, ferry back to Homer
night 6 - Homer
day 7 - sightseeing in Homer
night 7 - Homer
day 8 - drive to Portage Glacier, Portage Glacier Cruise, drive to Girdwood, Alyeska Tram
night 8 - Girdwood
day 9 - drive from Girdwood to Anchorage, train from Anchoarge to Whittier, board ship

potential itinerary #4:
night 1 - Anchorage
day 2 - drive from Anchorage to Homer
night 2 - Homer
day 3 - Wildlife Cruise of Katchemak Bay, Pratt Museum
night 3 - Homer
day 4 - Seldovia Bay Ferry from Homer to Seldovia, explore Seldovia, ferry back to Homer
night 4 - Homer
day 5 - sightseeing in Homer
night 5 - Homer
day 6 - drive from Homer to Clam Gulch, Clam Digging Equipment Rental, cook/eat clam bake
night 6 - Clam Gulch
day 7 - drive from Clam Gulch to Cooper Landing, Kenai River Scenic Floating Trip
night 7 - Cooper Landing
day 8 - drive to Portage Glacier, Portage Glacier Cruise, drive to Girdwood, Alyeska Tram
night 8 - Girdwood
day 9 - drive from Girdwood to Anchorage, train from Anchoarge to Whittier, board ship

[quote name='PennyAgain']Allisons, you really need to go to a local RV dealer and look at similar models to the ones you are thinking of renting in Alaska. Pick up brochures, walk around in units, talk to the sales people who are generally very good at explaning how it all works.

When you are 'hands on' it will really help you to sort things out.

I am generally in the go and park opinion. Not only do RV's have less efficient gas mileage than most cars, the parking and setting up takes time and effort. Personally I wouldn't decamp just to go to dinner.

In my own experience we tend to argue during these periods of transitition as they are the more stressful times.

Your field research in your home area will really help.[/QUOTE]

We definitely plan on visiting a Winnebago dealer. We also plan on renting an RV for a weekend and trying it out. I suspect that my husband will quickly realize that the reality is not what he has romanticized it to be in his head. He will come to his senses and realize that we are not RV people.

[quote name='PennyAgain']
I am generally in the go and park opinion. Not only do RV's have less efficient gas mileage than most cars, the parking and setting up takes time and effort. Personally I wouldn't decamp just to go to dinner. [/QUOTE]

That's the big problem with allisons renting the RV. Not only do they want to go for nice dinners but they want to go out and see the area. And that is the REAL problem-no external transport unless they rent a car or are willing to hook and unhook daily. I still think the RV for this couple is a VERY bad idea.

[quote name='PennyAgain']In my own experience we tend to argue during these periods of transitition as they are the more stressful times. [/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth!!!! Screaming "you didn't get the water hose completely drained and now I am covered in water" is VERY common around here. DH unhooked the water hose in December, rolled it partially up and handed it to me to put away. It had NOT been completely drained. I had on fairly decent clothes-not Levi's and a t shirt as usual. We were leaving the RV park going home but first, to a waterside (Colorado River) bar/restaurant for prime rib. I got SOAKED putting it in the compartment. BAD way to start the evening. Not the first time he had done it.

[quote name='allisons']
Is the shower smaller than a cruise ship cabin shower? We manage that just fine. I'm super concerned about the toilet. I'm not sure I can deal with it.[/QUOTE]

1/2 the size of a cruise ship shower. Most cruise ship showers are "full sized"-meaning 2-2.5 feet wide by 5 feet long-just about the same size as a normal tub/shower combo in a house. An RV shower (other than the $1,000,000+ rock star RV's) is about 2 foot x 2.5 feet.

[quote name='greatam']That's the big problem with allisons renting the RV. Not only do they want to go for nice dinners but they want to go out and see the area. And that is the REAL problem-no external transport unless they rent a car or are willing to hook and unhook daily. I still think the RV for this couple is a VERY bad idea.

Ain't that the truth!!!! Screaming "you didn't get the water hose completely drained and now I am covered in water" is VERY common around here. DH unhooked the water hose in December, rolled it partially up and handed it to me to put away. It had NOT been completely drained. I had on fairly decent clothes-not Levi's and a t shirt as usual. We were leaving the RV park going home but first, to a waterside (Colorado River) bar/restaurant for prime rib. I got SOAKED putting it in the compartment. BAD way to start the evening. Not the first time he had done it.[/QUOTE]

Oh my! I did not realize how challenging it was! We could not deal with that mess and fighting! It's very misleading how much more simple and clean Great Alaskan Holidays makes it sound compared to how all of you are making it out!

Archived