I don't know what to do in grand cayman

angel54321

This thread has been so helpful!

This isn't a recommendation; I haven't been there. It's something I found while looking at things to do/see/eat in GC. It's a vegetarian place called Bread&Chocolate: http://www.cafe.ky/

It seems to be open, perhaps a bit new? The menu sounds delicious.

We're vegetarian, too, and the menu on there seems to actually be vegan, so that's even better. :)

agree, this thread is very helpful, and I'm reading up about Bread and Chocolate! I'm vegetarian, too (and also don't do dairy) - this sounds delicious!

Could you explain what the review said that's turned you off? It's kind of tough to argue the good if we don't know exactly what the bad things were?

Personally, DH and I love the Cayman Islands. We first visited on a cruise, on our honeymoon close to 20 years ago. We visited Stingray City on a cramped "cattle car" excursion, and still loved it. We went back for a long weekend land-based vacation, and then for a week long stay. Around the time of Hurricane Ivan, we started looking at property, bought a lot and built a house out at Rum Point. We've been visiting multiple times a year since then, for anywhere from a weekend to a month at a time. We still love it as much as we did on our first visit.

Friendly, polite people. Gorgeous beaches and fantastic weather. Interesting attractions. Good food...omg, the food. Clean water and North American-style amenities. Safe environments to relax in, without beach vendors, scammers or other undesirables. What's not to love?

Yes, it's expensive. That's a big complaint you hear a lot, and it's 100% true. But I'd rather pay extra and be safe walking the beach on my own and not get sick drinking the water, than save a few bucks but put my life/health at risk.

Is it for everyone? No, probably not. It's a pretty conservative island, and you're not going to find the drink-your-face-off party scene that's common in some ports. Is it for me? Absolutely. It's my favourite vacation destination, bar none, and we hope to retire there someday.

Sounds like you know GC very well! Travelling with our two kids so safety is top priority. I have read enough to ease my worry on this island. We want to see the turtle farm, maybe end up spending 2 hours there. I could take the bus/taxi, but after we would like to spend a short amount of time in Hell, make a stop and take in 7 miles beach, perhaps visit the rum factory. Is this too ambitious? I think a rental car is the way to go for us so we can motor along at our pace, not waiting for lingerers and take in all we can while there. Is parking readily available at each location?

Sounds like you know GC very well! Travelling with our two kids so safety is top priority. I have read enough to ease my worry on this island. We want to see the turtle farm, maybe end up spending 2 hours there. I could take the bus/taxi, but after we would like to spend a short amount of time in Hell, make a stop and take in 7 miles beach, perhaps visit the rum factory. Is this too ambitious? I think a rental car is the way to go for us so we can motor along at our pace, not waiting for lingerers and take in all we can while there. Is parking readily available at each location?

We own a house there, so visit for a combined 6-8 weeks a year. :-)

If you're just staying around town, turtle farm, etc. a rental car may actually be a hindrance. The companies are mostly by the airport, not the port, so getting the car could take a big chunk of time out of your day. Parking can be an issue in town, although there's lots at the turtle farm and hell.

Personally, I'd just taxi it from place to place, or talk to a driver at the port about an impromptu tour of those stops. Likely easier, and it avoids having to know where everything is and having to drive on the left.

We own a house there, so visit for a combined 6-8 weeks a year. :-)

You are living my dream...I love Grand Cayman...and if one day when I retire I can afford it...I will definitely move there...it is one of the cleanest, safest, and friendliest island I have been to....and I've hit all most all of the major islands...

You are living my dream...I love Grand Cayman...and if one day when I retire I can afford it...I will definitely move there...it is one of the cleanest, safest, and friendliest island I have been to....and I've hit all most all of the major islands...

It's a pretty great place...and definitely in my retirement plans, too... :D

It's a pretty great place...and definitely in my retirement plans, too... :D

We have friends that own Macabuca Tiki Bar and the Conch Restaurant. Love to relax there.

We have A condo in Myrtle Beach...Does that count? :D

• 9 months later...

This thread has been VERY helpful. I'm thinking we will just grab a taxi or the $20 tour.

Turtle farm, how much time should we plan? I was there many years ago with a guy we grabbed at the pier but I don't believe we saw it all just a gift shop and round tanks with turtles. Would a taxi, bus or $20 tour be best?

We would like to see an actual rum factory tour, see the making not just tasting or a Brewery. What would be best?

Also thought about the gardens but not sure if it would be boring?

Any thoughts on a plan to do this stuff? I would also like to see the blow holes and nice views along the way.

Thanks in advance!!!!!