ALASKA landtour 13A/Radiance cruise July 5, 2013 review with pics

The next 3 days, the tour bus is transportation. It was comfortable, Steve kept it clean, had a bathroom, and was named Mendenhall so we would never get on the wrong bus. We had the best bus, guides, and guests after all.

IMG_3869_zps0a0c6a84.jpg

IMG_3898_zpsb86da8c5.jpg

Alaska had more beauty on the way to Alyeska.

IMG_3835_zps3183f553.jpg

One of the four tides: this is either low tide or low, low tide.

IMG_3836_zpsd965f4ed.jpg

IMG_3843_zps4c31ef17.jpg

One of the 3 included excursions with tour 13A is admission to Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. What animals we didn't get see in the wild are here being care for.

The dead trees are petrified from the 1964 earthquake that caused the land to sink and ocean water to rise where these trees were. The salt water caused the trees to die and petrify. They are so hard even a chain saw can't cut them. That is why you seem them everywhere in this area.

IMG_3852_zps9c9ad82c.jpg

IMG_3854_zps822adbc6.jpg

IMG_3855_zpsd747a50c.jpg

IMG_3856_zpsdfb72bfd.jpg

IMG_3860_zps5e4b7815.jpg

IMG_3899_zpse9c7b302.jpg

The Hotel Alyeska: fantastic, nice landscaping, shops, great restaurants, comfortable rooms, and location, location, location. We had views of mountain peaks, hanging glaciers, ant the ocean. Hiking trails are every where. After checking out our rooms, we used our included Tram ticket. Using the ticket has only available that day(day 5 Wednesday).

room view

IMG_3902_zpsf77b120f.jpg

landscape back of hotel

IMG_3937_zpsb0c54cc9.jpg

IMG_3940_zps725ea769.jpg

Tram to the top mountain terminal

IMG_3934_zps22a83640.jpg

IMG_3932_zps87668ffe.jpg

The award winning, highly recommended Seven Glaciers restaurant is located in the top level of the mountain tram terminal. My family did not eat here but several members of our tour did and reported that it was worth the expense.

looking down at the resort

IMG_3905_zps5ec022b9.jpg

This is the photographer, my husband. I am so glad he was looking behind a viewfinder because I got lost in the views and surroundings and forget to take photos.

IMG_3910_zps12ad2b3d.jpg

hiking trail to the top was partially covered by snow making for a slick climb in spots

IMG_3921_zpsca034384.jpg

had to include photo of my mom, who out walked us all, I only hope when I am 76 I am still trekking like her

IMG_3923_zpsbfe8cc5a.jpg

My family chose to eat dinner at the hotel instead of taking shuttle to Girdwood. We ate in Aurora Bar and Grill in the bar section. They have great pizza's and good wine list. This hotel had included Wifi so hubby and I caught up on sending greetings to other family by email and facebook.

Day six: Thursday Alyeska to Seward

The next morning, we woke to rain. We had muffins, breakfast burritos, yogurt, and coffee from Starbucks in the hotel. All aboard on bus was 9:45AM. Today was the fourth of July in Seward so Jennifer wasn't sure how crowded the town and restaurants would be, since, the town was hosting the annual Mount Marathon. She had Steve stop at Subway as an option to get sandwiches to go for lunch in Seward. The rain stopped before arriving in Seward. We had a picnic lunch at picnic tables in front of the small boat harbor.

IMG_3943_zpsc3b40c7b.jpg

IMG_3961_zpsb36ef01a.jpg

IMG_3952_zps136f5a77.jpg

IMG_3953_zps8df0a6b5.jpg

IMG_3956_zpsf93146d1.jpg

IMG_3960_zpsd647d724.jpg

The last of included excursions was a 3 hour Kenai Fjords Tour. I thought the 3 hour trip might not be enough to get far enough in the fjord to see what I really wanted to see this trip, a puffin. No worries this trip was just fine. Surprising the harbor area wasn't to crowded because all the marathon activity was on other side of town. After doing some shopping along the harbor pier, we meet at this anchor and boarded the boat as a group. All 3 tour buses were taking this excursion. The boat was full.

IMG_3954_zps7033f83b.jpg

DSCN0927_zps7d3c23db.jpg

IMG_3974_zps4a24e86a.jpg

We were encaged in scenery and wildlife viewing from the beginning.

IMG_4007_zps6a95521b.jpg

IMG_4000_zpsfea13a99.jpg

The boat had 2 levels, the bottom level had stairs going down to 2 heads, a bar that sold beer, little plastic bottles of wine, water, and snacks and a covered outdoor viewing area in the back. The top had indoor seating and an open deck. The top floor was full so we sat in the center of lower level that had individual seats with fold down table tops and the twins sat on bench seating on the sides.

IMG_4019_zps83609255.jpg

IMG_4031_zps632751fe.jpg

IMG_4035_zps3169839c.jpg

IMG_4037_zpsafddfbb9.jpg

IMG_4045_zps523d1722.jpg

IMG_4046_zps3088a59f.jpg

Think about adding South America too! We would do Panama Canal again in a heartbeat, and loved our SA transit. Just did Alaska for the second time, so we may be heading towards a rut!

On my bucket list includes east coast cruise and Panama canal cruise. My husband and I also have said once are list is done, we will start again and first is Alaska

After the 3 hour wildlife tour, Steve transported us to Windsong lodge where we said our goodbyes to Jennifer. She was leaving us to pick up a tour group from the Radiance in the morning. The Windsong was rustic. It has a main lobby building and the rooms are spread our in small buildings with 2 levels with 4 rooms per level.

DSCN0936_zps5f905605.jpg

DSCN0935_zps87c26049.jpg

The lobby with fireplace and cozy sitting area on one side.

DSCN0939_zpse5616176.jpg

The other side of the lobby has 3 computers along the wall, a coffee bar and tables and chairs.

DSCN0940_zps035a00a2.jpg

Our room located in Aven building, very close to lobby and short walk to Resurrection Road House restaurant.

DSCN0933_zps503e4732.jpg

DSCN0934_zps2036ce8b.jpg

We had dinner at Resurrection Road House soon after we checked out the rooms. We got there about 6:30PM and didn't have to wait for a table for 8 but as soon as we sat down, a long line waiting for tables had formed.

DSCN0929_zpsb3aabac6.jpg

DSCN0930_zpscce32dc0.jpg

DSCN0931_zps435c78d7.jpg

I only had my husband take 2 pics of food, breakfast at the Road House in Talkeetna and here. They had the best halibut dish with a cream sauce over polenta. Not only did it taste fantastic, it was a work of art.

DSCN0932_zpsa649e15a.jpg

This night in Seward was the first night since arriving in Fairbanks the previous Saturday that we noticed a few hours of actually darkness.

Day 7, Friday boarding Radiance in afternoon

I reserved the Lodges Exit Glacier tour for this morning. The cost was the same as RCI excursion price. We ate breakfast at the coffee bar in lobby and met our guide at 8:15AM. Our tour included transportation to the park, a guided hike to the glacier, and transportation back to the lodge. Our guide also drove the bus.IMG_4114_zps4d94f286.jpg

From the road outside of the park. Exit glacer once extended to the road.

IMG_4090_zps492c43dd.jpg

The park visitor center had a small exhibit area about area wildlife and the eco system. The twins were entertained.

IMG_4093_zps8e95bce7.jpg

IMG_4097_zpsc8b3f368.jpg

IMG_4100_zps2f580cd6.jpg

Half way through the adventure. My family told me one of the best parts of the land portion was riding on the Wilderness Express train and having a meal onboard each time. Even though we were on the go every day, I wouldn't have changed anything. Alaska is a huge area; I picked a landtour that provided highlights of the different areas. Next time we go to Alaska we can spend more time in the areas that appealed to us the most. I hope to get most of the cruise added tomorrow. One last look from front of small boat harbor.

IMG_3954_zps7033f83b.jpg

IMG_4135_zpsf098cb2d.jpg

Once last thought, I did some shopping in a store Once in a Blue Moose, not to far from the anchor. I was looking for things to take to friends and coworkers. I found a sourdough starter kit in a postcard envelope $3.95. More coworkers liked this idea. My sister in law went across the street to the hardware store and got bear bells for her family and friends. I think she said they were about $5. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

My husband has found more pics and video on his ipad. I was surprised at how good the pics taken with the ipad turned out.

this is our tour group, a good group to spend 6 days with, Steve, bus driver is kneeling wearing green shirt, in the back and Jennifer is standing behind him

IMG_0338_zps778c0ffb.jpg

this is a video of Dall's porpoises swimming along side Kenai Fjords tour boat

th_IMG_0307_zpsc5505871.jpg

just click the pic of Dall's and the video will play

We boarded Radiance Friday, July 5 at about 1PM. Check in went smoothly. My husband, daughter and I stayed in Grand suite 1556. I really liked the balcony. No one could look in. My husband and I had Grand suite 1552 on the Brilliance in Feb. and probably would not book it again. When our neighbors in 1554 were on their balcony they could view into our cabin.

1556 was across from the card room. This location was quiet and the only time we heard music was during the 70's dance party held in centrum. My daughter slept on pull out couch.

This was the best part of the cabin. The glass windows that are the width of the room.

IMG_4188_zpsf50ab329.jpg

IMG_4201_zpsff360cc9.jpg

DSCN0958_zpse5dba8bb.jpg

My mom and brother, sister in law, and niece and nephew stayed in Two bedroom suite 7672. I first chose this room for more inside space because the twins like down time of relaxing and watching TV. Then I read some reviews that stated some noise could be heard at night from the colony club located underneath. I almost thought of changing room to 8668 because my sister in law is a light sleeper. In the end, I didn't second guess myself and kept 7672. My sister in law said she could hear faint music occasionally at night but not enough to bother her. It was a good room for them. My mom had a few complaints. Her vanity table did not have a magnifying mirror. She had to use a spoon to get the drain cover off the tub to drain the water. My niece had to figure that one out.The refrigerator broke and leaked water on the floor and all the minibar snacks were ruined, but probable a good thing because they did not want them anyway. Maintenance replaced the refrigerator. The pluses were many. The suite could hold 8. For the five of them, there was more than enough storage space and plenty of room for the twins to unwind and relax.

My brother loved the extra bedroom because it was like sleeping in a cave, complete darkness. He loved it.

DSCN0979_zps973706c8.jpg

The second bedroom did not have a TV, so mom had the cabin steward make the couch into bed so they could chill and watch TV. The room also had small table with 2 chairs you can see next to window.

DSCN0980_zpscd6adbe4.jpg

Master bedroom

DSCN0994_zpsfb640aa7.jpg

huge walk in closet

DSCN0996_zps37e515b1.jpg

Master bathroom was the same as grand suite

DSCN0997_zpsb8d545d0.jpg

tub/shower, notice the spoon used to get drain cover out

DSCN0998_zps87e8f04b.jpg

Awesome review and pictures! Thanks for sharing with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thank you. I am hoping that through this review some questions can be answered for those who like to research and get a lot of info prior to sailing like me.

I wish had more pics of 7672 inside. It was nice and very roomy. The TV for the living area was by the wall in between balcony window and master bedroom. It was on a cabinet that held refrigerator and storage. Behind the TV was a porthole that was covered to keep glare off of the TV. I did not get a pic of the second bathroom but it had a standard shower with curtain. There was a vanity desk in living area also. The balcony was nice but not enough room for a lounger. It had a dinning table with 2 chairs and another set of chairs with end table.

DSCN0993_zps81b37051.jpg

balcony looking to starboard side, a narrow space enough for standing but not for furniture

DSCN0992_zpsf9260461.jpg

Archived