Sofitel Roma vs Intercontinental

These 2 hotels are virtually identical on their Internet room rates. Can anyone give me a pro/con comparison on these hotels? I am planning on a late May/early June 2006 precruise stay. One plus that I have seen about the Sofitel is that the Internet rate does include breakfast, the IC does not.

If possible, need opinions about which is the best location to walk to tourist sites, safety, other amenities,noise,etc.

Thanks

I gather your asking about the De La Ville Intercontinental Rome. If that's the case, we just returned from a post cruise stay at IC last week. We had a deluxe room with buffet breakfast included. Our king bed room was small but well-appointed, the bathroom was large and we had a balcony the full length of the room and bathroom, overlooking their courtyard. It was very quiet and the air-conditioning worked very well, important because it was mid-90's when we were there. We chose the IC because we are IC members and used points for one free night. Averaging the other 3 nights, it made our stay less than anywhere else we could have stayed. I'd say the only drawback was IC Roma is at the top of the Spanish Steps, next to the Hassler and anything within walking distance seemed to be at the bottom of the steps. Probably wouldn't be a problem in cooler weather but at 95 degrees, climbing the steps during the day, was brutal. Sorry I can't help with the Sofitel but I'm sure others can.

Thanks Sandy R. Did you encounter any trouble communicating with the staff and was there always someone there who spoke English fluently? Does the IC have a self service laundry in the hotel, and do you possibly remember if they had a doctor on call in case a guest became ill? This is important to me as I am an insulin dependent diabetic using a pump and I will be travelling with my 15 year old daughter. If I were to get a bad case of food poisoning or an injury, it is vital for her safety and mine that I can contact a physician easily. She would not be able to dial 911 in Italy like she could here in the US!I have joined the Priority Club just recently and have very few points so far. I was planning on getting the internet rate for the cheapest room but it did not include breakfast. Do Priority Club members usually get an upgrade on check in, and would it include breakfast?

I gather your asking about the De La Ville Intercontinental Rome. If that's the case, we just returned from a post cruise stay at IC last week. We had a deluxe room with buffet breakfast included. Our king bed room was small but well-appointed, the bathroom was large and we had a balcony the full length of the room and bathroom, overlooking their courtyard. It was very quiet and the air-conditioning worked very well, important because it was mid-90's when we were there. We chose the IC because we are IC members and used points for one free night. Averaging the other 3 nights, it made our stay less than anywhere else we could have stayed. I'd say the only drawback was IC Roma is at the top of the Spanish Steps, next to the Hassler and anything within walking distance seemed to be at the bottom of the steps. Probably wouldn't be a problem in cooler weather but at 95 degrees, climbing the steps during the day, was brutal. Sorry I can't help with the Sofitel but I'm sure others can.

We are booked at the Intercontinental for August. Is there an elevator (lift) that goes to the hotel or do you have to walk up the Spanish Steps to get to the hotel? Forgive my ignorance but I have never been to Rome, and since my husband has a bad knee, it alarmed me when you said you have to climb the steps.

Thank you for the info in advance.

We are booked at the Intercontinental for August. Is there an elevator (lift) that goes to the hotel or do you have to walk up the Spanish Steps to get to the hotel? Forgive my ignorance but I have never been to Rome, and since my husband has a bad knee, it alarmed me when you said you have to climb the steps.

Thank you for the info in advance.

You will have to climb the steps or meander around a few streets and walk up a slight inclined street to get to the IC.The steps are not to bad if you take it slow,but there are a LOT of them.If you go to tne clo and/or Palentine Hill be prepared for some very uneven walking.Just an FYI.

Fabulous2b50... I can't tell you if the hotel has a doctor on call or if their is a self service laundry. You might want to call IC's central U.S. phone # and ask. As far as speaking English, everyone we came in contact with, spoke English. As far as Priority perks, try going onto their website and find out what level of membership, have what perks. My husband is pretty far up the chain, so we always get upgraded if available and always get breakfast included.

Godskidisme... we never used it, but the concierge told us that the Metro, which is at the top of the Spanish Steps, has an elevator from the top, to the bottom of the Steps and visa-versa. It also has steps to the elevator... maybe 30.

To the immediate left of the Spanish Steps, looking down, is a small staircase that we discovered, with what felt like less steps but we never actually counted. It was also shaded from the sun, which also made a big difference.

Haven't stayed at the IC but have stayed at other places at the top of the Spanish Steps. You can walk down the Via Sistina or Via Gregoriana, which both radiate out from the piazza in front of the Hassler/IC area. This is actually the way you would walk anyway if you wanted to get to Fontana di Trevi, the Pantheon, etc. My wife uses an electric cart and we did this route all the time.

The area directly at the bottom of the steps is the Via Condotti area, which is the exclusive shopping area of Rome. If you can afford to shop on Rodeo Drive you can shop here; otherwise, it's good window shopping, but there are not, per se, tourist sights in this area.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Is the Campo di Fiori within walking distance of either the Sofitel Roma or the Intercontinental? I know we would love to be able to buy some fresh flowers for our room as well as some nice fresh fruit to keep in our refrigerator. My daughter loves to go to outdoor markets like this and I would like to stay where it would not be a difficult stroll to get to it.

If I opt for the Intercontinental, I should have Gold status by the time I make a reservation and should also be able to get 1 night free.We are planning a 5 night pre cruise stay in Rome. Can anyone tell me what kind of upgrades, if any I might be able to get if I am Gold status? It would be great to at least get breakfast included during our stay if they do not upgrade us to a bigger room.

That is where the Sofitel Roma is very high on my list as the rooms are sound proofed, individually air conditioned and breakfast is included with the room for the same price as the Internet rate at the Intercontinental that does not include breakfast. I am having a really difficult time deciding between these two hotels. I do also want to be within walking distance of pretty much all of the downtown sites. I don't care if we have to take a cab to the Vatican.

Archived